• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime Genre Trends of 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
At least the trend of Oda Nobunaga being a teenage girl has stopped. Could never figure out why that one was so popular.

I remember an ANNCast where Zac and Bamboo talked about that trend. They then went on to say that "it's not like in America, we have a sitcom idea where it's like, 'he's moving in with his girlfriend, and it turns out she's the reincarnation of Abe Lincoln.'"

Then the more they talked about it, the more they realized that sitcom sounded awesome...mostly because it hasn't been done here before!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Nostalgia Anime is still eager to remind you of its glory days, whether those are 10, 20, or even 30 years ago.

It's not the industry trying to "remind" us of it, like we've forgotten, think it's the reverse--Ie., the same reason we're getting new series of Full House, Twin Peaks, The Odd Couple and Star Trek, in the Bingeing 10's:
We're starting to realize television WAS better 20, 30 or 40 years ago, back when it was still the national mainstream outlet for pop-cultural entertainment--And unlike the crafting of super-devoted little cable/streaming niches for specific serial-arc shows, had a tighter grasp on how to be All Things to Every Audience, deliver entertainment that appealed more readily to a wider viewership, and had to worry about not offending the sponsors, which was the reason they were on the air in the first place.

The big 20th Anniversary push for Sailor Moon Crystal coming out of exile opened the floodgates, unless you want to trace it all the way back to those new UY and Ranma 1/2 episodes for the Rumiko Takahashi exhibit a few years ago.
And when Card Captor Sakura wanted a little 20th-anniversary piece of what Sailor Moon Crystal got, and DBZ had a new hit movie to spark a new series again, that did it, now 90's Anime was stuck in our heads--New kids found out why the classics were cool, older anime fans found out how much better anime was when it had to sell toys on national television and wasn't trying to hide and slink around the back alleys of the Fanservice Ghetto.
Double Mangekyo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:22 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
At least the trend of Oda Nobunaga being a teenage girl has stopped. Could never figure out why that one was so popular.

Was that really ever a trend though?
I remember The Ambition of Oda Nobuna (2012) played it like that.
There was Nobunagun (2014), except that was more spoiler[inheriting the spirit of famous dead people, while retaining your own self] or some such thing.

Both of these shows I loved, but I don't see how it was ever a trend...
What am I missing here?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Right, because now he is a vampire.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:22 pm Reply with quote
ajr wrote:
I feel like post-apocalypse (as a trend) is waning, but has seen a general uptick since, I don't know, ~2000? It's not an acute trend, but something a bit more enduring, kinda like giant robot anime have never really faded away completely even though their heyday is decidedly past.

Apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic stories have always tended to be a mirror of society, rising and falling in popularity with the mood and anxiety of the general public. Times of war, or the threat of war, economic hardships, societal upheavals, outbreaks of new and deadly viruses like AIDS or Ebola, the times when people are acutely anxious about those things have always coincided with a rise in popularity of "end of the world" stories. The Economist actually published an article just a few months ago tracking the ebb and flow of trends in apocalyptic literature over the past 70 years, and how it often reflected current social anxieties. That article is solely looking at western literature, not movies or TV or anything from other cultures, but the Japanese aren't immune to those feelings either, and with China's increasing assertiveness and North Korea's bellicose threats of nuclear armageddon, it's not surprising that anime would see more apocalyptic stories coming out. Keeping in mind that it normally takes 2-3 years to produce a full anime TV series from scratch, don't be surprised if we see an even bigger wave of apocalyptic anime hitting the airwaves around 2019 or 2020.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Monster girls is ok as long as the bodies are mostly animal. Tails and ears are fine. For instance I loved interviews with monster girls it was fun and didn't cross any weird lines.

Little sisters I've always enjoyed since its a guilty pleasure for me. So far none of the new ones have ever crossed the line like Koi Kaze did. not even Oreimo.

One thats making a trend is that forced sex stuff like the Skirt no Naka wa Kedamono Deshita. There is another one of its type this season.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:55 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
"I'm a loser who got transported to another world and it's a video game!" "I'm a loser who got transported to another world and I have a harem!" "I'm a loser who got transported to another world except I was picking my nose in the process and my finger is permanently stuck there!"

That can definitely be a fetish too, just the non-sexual kind. It's escapism in its purest sense.

Gemnist wrote:
Something HxH related?? WHERE????

It's based on Yoshihiro Togashi's statements that he'll end his current hiatus by the end of the year and draw more of the series. If you ask me, don't bet on it: The arc it's in doesn't feel anywhere near complete (and there are a dozen different things going on at once), and it wouldn't make sense to make more Hunter X Hunter until this current arc finishes.

ajr wrote:
I think we're about at peak isekai now, maybe a little past it. We had the shows that established the genre and expanded it, and now we're seeing the twists and meta-isekai shows being the warmer properties (I'm A Spider/Vending Machine, Re:Creators, etc.) . A "standard" vanilla isekai show that hits all the usual beats might do all right if done well, but those beats are expected now; I fully expect Death March...Rhapsody to be DOA. As the instigator of the modern isekai trend, Sword Art Online double shows next spring, one of which is the lengthy Alicization arc, seems like a crossroads or bellwether for the isekai trend.

A general rule I've seen is that a storytelling trend is truly on its last legs when a number of parodies come out for it. Say what you want about the Seltzer & Friedberg movies, but they DID time their "_____ Movie" releases as each of their respective kinds of movies were rapidly declining in popularity (disaster movies, inspirational sports movies, vampire romance movies). Better keep watch on what Mr. Osomatsu is doing--they're influential enough that they might actually CAUSE a decline in a trend.

Sahmbahdeh wrote:
An isekai monster girl show? Damn it, why did I never consider it before?! It's so obvious in retrospect!

You know...you're absolutely right. It IS very odd that we haven't seen much of that, even though they make so much sense together.

I wonder if the monster girl trend will eventually give way to full-blown anthropomorphism. (I was a bit disappointed when Kemono Friends was not, since, and correct me if I'm wrong, but a "kemono" is anthropomorphism and not just "Little Bit Beastly.") Is the furry fandom as maligned in Japan as it is in the west?

DuskyPredator wrote:

Well, continuing the discussion of Abraham Lincoln, Honest Abe is now a vampire hunter.

WingKing wrote:
ajr wrote:
I feel like post-apocalypse (as a trend) is waning, but has seen a general uptick since, I don't know, ~2000? It's not an acute trend, but something a bit more enduring, kinda like giant robot anime have never really faded away completely even though their heyday is decidedly past.

Apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic stories have always tended to be a mirror of society, rising and falling in popularity with the mood and anxiety of the general public. Times of war, or the threat of war, economic hardships, societal upheavals, outbreaks of new and deadly viruses like AIDS or Ebola, the times when people are acutely anxious about those things have always coincided with a rise in popularity of "end of the world" stories. The Economist actually published an article just a few months ago tracking the ebb and flow of trends in apocalyptic literature over the past 70 years, and how it often reflected current social anxieties. That article is solely looking at western literature, not movies or TV or anything from other cultures, but the Japanese aren't immune to those feelings either, and with China's increasing assertiveness and North Korea's bellicose threats of nuclear armageddon, it's not surprising that anime would see more apocalyptic stories coming out. Keeping in mind that it normally takes 2-3 years to produce a full anime TV series from scratch, don't be surprised if we see an even bigger wave of apocalyptic anime hitting the airwaves around 2019 or 2020.

Even without those political worries, Japan had been stuck pretty hard in some tough economic times since around 2000 or so too. While those conditions are more likely to create antiheroes and bleaker settings, they can also easily slip into apocalyptic or post-apocalypic too if the economic crisis is that stressful.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:06 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

But he was always an immortal demonic vampire, back when Ghost Sweeper Mikami fought him in her movie! Razz

Basically, Nobunaga is sort of the easy-button love-hate relationship "shock" term in Japanese culture--He represents both the cool historical days of victorious battles if you want Feudal-war Action, but he's also the "demonic tyrant" who tried to trample and wipe out the shogunate and the culture with nasty foreign religion and gunpowder.
The flood of "That's MISS Nobunaga to you!" shows isn't like the current fangirl-ization of Marvel heroes, but, like Saga of Tanya the Evil, there's a new taste for "bad-girl" shows--Both for girl viewers who want a little sword-wielding and "don't care" cynical-empowerment fantasy, and for the masochistically school-traumatized boys who want their -Dere girls a little more extreme.
Just that they've both moved on to different buttons to push.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Double Mangekyo wrote:
Was that really ever a trend though?
I remember The Ambition of Oda Nobuna (2012) played it like that.
There was Nobunagun (2014), except that was more spoiler[inheriting the spirit of famous dead people, while retaining your own self] or some such thing.

Both of these shows I loved, but I don't see how it was ever a trend...
What am I missing here?

There was also 2011's Battle Girls - Time Paradox and 2012's Sengoku Collection which both involved female versions of various Sengoku warlords and Oda Nobunaga was a main character in both. Those are the only ones I can remember aside from those already mentioned, but there may be more.

As for the trends mentioned, I'd say I'm mostly positive on them. Monster Girls I wholeheartedly enjoy as all of them have been good, from the popularizer Monster Musume to the newest one Centaur's Life. The post apocalyptic ones have been pretty decent, and MHA has been great (I don't find Western style superhero anime disagreeable conceptually, but the execution hasn't always been ideal). There have been some good nostalgia shows - really liking the continuing Guru Guru - but execution has been varied there as well. I still like the isekai shows, but not as enthusiastically as, say, monster girls. I can't really speak to male idols, as I've only seen SideM, but I have no objections to its rise. As to little sisters, while I wouldn't say I'm supportive of its persistence, I can't really say I've disliked it, given I've seen most of them.
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:16 pm Reply with quote
A shame seeing Altair dead last in that poll. One of my favourites from last season. Oh well. Made in Abyss fittingly number one.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:41 pm Reply with quote
One big trend for this year (that isn’t a genre) is the growth — in importantance and duration — of anime shorts. No longer 4-minute jokes tied into some other show’s lore (like the chibi version of Re:Zero, for example), more substantial material like Netsuzuo Trap and Tsurudere Children are being adapted as shorts, and clocking around or over the 10-minute mark per episode
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:07 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
One big trend for this year (that isn’t a genre) is the growth — in importantance and duration — of anime shorts. No longer 4-minute jokes tied into some other show’s lore (like the chibi version of Re:Zero, for example), more substantial material like Netsuzuo Trap and Tsurudere Children are being adapted as shorts, and clocking around or over the 10-minute mark per episode

Eh, there have been a number of original (in terms of IP) and longer shorts for a while. Teekyuu started 5 years ago, and that was far from the first original short. The Ultra Super Anime Time block had 7-8 minute shorts in 2015, and its batch of shorts from Winter 2016 (Galko, Sekkou Boys, She and Her Cat, and two others) contributed to this site covering shorts in the preview guide. Tie in shorts are still a thing as with this season's Maho Yome shorts and the second season of Idolmaster Cinderella Girls Theater. If anything has grown, it is awareness of and, dare I say, respect for the format.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:18 pm Reply with quote
@zrnzle500

Shorts have been around for some time. For example: The Adventures of Mini-Goddesses, Dojin Work, The various Galaxy Angel series, two seasons of Steel Angel Kurumi and Tweeny Witches.
lostbirdinatree

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:32 pm Reply with quote
With the Junji Ito Collection in winter 2018 and the thing about mystery anime in 2016, I wouldn't mind more horror anime. (I think "I want more horror anime" has been a complaint in the anime community for a while now, actually.)

I'd like the Chinese coproductions to die out since they're almost as infamous as "light novel adaptions are often bad" at this point, but unfortunately I have the feeling it'll be the reverse as China gets more ambitious in how it deals with these things.

Giant robots seem primed to make a resurgence as a "cool thing" between Full Metal Panic: Invisible Victory (also nostalgia-based), the new Code Geass (also nostalgia-based) and Darling in the Franxx. Also, the recent Knights and Magic was being received more on its own credit rather than an isekai which rushed its story too much, as well as the occasional "old robot franchise like Gundam getting yet another adaption".
Morry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:34 am Reply with quote
Pretty sure the only trend I don't care about here is male idols. Just not my thing. Everything else has had something to entertain.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4