• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime Genre Trends of 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:45 am Reply with quote
I'm down for more Isekai shows(add a physical transformation and more playing with gender like Tanya the Evil and I'll be in my particular fandom Heaven). Little sister shows can take a blind hike off a cliff side as I not only don't care for them but am rather vehement towards them. Overall I think I'll be down for a resurgence of nostalgic properties. They totally F'd-up with The Irresponsible Galaxy Tylor but I'm not going to let that color my assumptions for the quality of further adaptations.
Woody__alien

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:30 am Reply with quote
As a monster girl fan (but I have yet to see Dragon Maid) I hope that the Centaur's Worries anime didn't kill off the trend.

Speaking of Western-style superheroes, what happened to Tiger & Bunny? I thought it was an amazing series and it seemed we were going to get more, but suddenly there was nothing. I tried to get into My Hero Academia but it's just not for me, outside of Froppy and Pinky (again, monster girl fan).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:46 am Reply with quote
Let's not forget that there have been simuldubs this year (notably, "Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid") where some lines were changed to make a sociopolitical statement. I don't think that should be allowed except in the following cases: it was supposed to be a "Ghost Stories"-style dub or the subbed version had some a sociopolitical-type line. In the case of the latter case, then a comment about sociopolitical issues people who care about social justice or feminism would be OK.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quote
It's very fascinating comparing the summer lists. Here's most anticipated at ANN and compared that to now. We have shows that were most anticipated that dropped in rank, dropped out of the list completely, and the inverse of all that. The only title that was consistent was New Game. Laughing

As for trends, if I had to guess why there's been a lot more romance titles lately, could the huge success of Your Name have something to do with it?
Morry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:49 am Reply with quote
The poor dub script choices, while egregious, have been only a few. I wouldn't call it a trend but we'll see how the next year goes. Laughing
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:08 am Reply with quote
Can something even be called a trend when its only a loud few that complains?

I've been thinking about this but I need more male focus sports shows. So please let that be a trend. A big one if possible.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:25 am Reply with quote
Male Idol Shows <3

Marginal #4
is the best one, but it gets barely any recognition... the dance animation isn't as good, but the music and the characters are great. Seriously, check out this and this. They're great, and not at all what you'd expect when you think of idols.

Starmyu isn't quite idols, but it fits (and the same seiyuu are in a lot of the idol series). It's also just a really good story about making art, sort of taking the shonen-tournament formula but making it into something a lot deeper.

There are also a ton of idol games that haven't been made into anime yet, and the two biggest idol series are getting their anime next year.

Also, Love Live had been around for a few years

Marginal #4's characters are so similar to Love Live, it's really wonderful. If you like the characters in Love Live, you'll love magi4.

Magi4 and StarMyu are the best anime I've seen in years. Tsukipro is turning out to be pretty bad, but their music is still better than most of the other idol series so don't toss them aside just because the anime is bad.

The thing to remember about 2D/2.5D units is that the music is the main point. The anime is secondary. It's nice when the anime is good, but the music is the point, especially the music that isn't in the anime. The TsukiPro groups have all had like... 4 albums at this point, I think?

And the seiyuu who are in these are some great singers! Better than most pop artists, Broadway singers, etc....
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
lostbirdinatree wrote:
I'd like the Chinese coproductions to die out since they're almost as infamous as "light novel adaptions are often bad" at this point, but unfortunately I have the feeling it'll be the reverse as China gets more ambitious in how it deals with these things.

The way I see it, I think those Chinese co-productions are the result of the "birdman fallacy," in which the Chinese writers are attempting to imitate something successful through its surface aspects without understanding what made it successful. It will be a tough road for them though, as an inherent trait of entertainment is that innovation characterizes success and critical acclaim, whereas Chinese culture is very much focused on imitation. That, and you got their government not allowing them to make anything set in modern-day China so you get nothing but historical stories, fantasy stories, and stories set in other countries (or what they think they're like).

Kadmos1 wrote:
Let's not forget that there have been simuldubs this year (notably, "Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid") where some lines were changed to make a sociopolitical statement. I don't think that should be allowed except in the following cases: it was supposed to be a "Ghost Stories"-style dub or the subbed version had some a sociopolitical-type line. In the case of the latter case, then a comment about sociopolitical issues Shonen Jump Weeklies or feminism would be OK.

What? And not other sociopolitical issues?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:07 pm Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon: I mentioned those sociopolitical issues because those are what is really popular in the media and some of the ones I pay more attention to. Note to self: write out "person who cares about social justice" in full next time.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
@leafy sea dragon: I mentioned those sociopolitical issues because those are what is really popular in the media and some of the ones I pay more attention to. Note to self: write out "Shonen Jump Weekly" in full next time.

It won't matter if you write it in full or use the abbreviation, ANN's forum filter will catch it. They used to change it to "person I disagree with politically" I believe, but I guess they decided Shonen Jump Weekly was funnier. Very Happy
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Funi's butchering of their simuldubs can't really be called a trend unless it somehow manages to escape the company. I'd like to say that they'll probably come to their senses in the end, but whoever signed off on the scripts in the first place probably doesn't care that much about the reduced disc sales(after all, they have Dragon Ball; they're not going under no matter what they do). It'd probably take licensors boycotting Funi for them to stop.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Funi's butchering of their simuldubs can't really be called a trend unless it somehow manages to escape the company. I'd like to say that they'll probably come to their senses in the end, but whoever signed off on the scripts in the first place probably doesn't care that much about the reduced disc sales(after all, they have Dragon Ball; they're not going under no matter what they do). It'd probably take licensors boycotting Funi for them to stop.
. Those fanservice shows sell well for them. My tinfoil hat theory is they got a disgruntled liberal scriptwriter who can't help but sneak in a few jabs here and there out of spite due to how popular they are. I even heard cases of dub voice actors ragequitting series out of disgust. Some people can't separate personal politics from their job
OtakuAnthony_AH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Let's not forget that there have been simuldubs this year (notably, "Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid") where some lines were changed to make a sociopolitical statement. I don't think that should be allowed except in the following cases: it was supposed to be a "Ghost Stories"-style dub or the subbed version had some a sociopolitical-type line. In the case of the latter case, then a comment about sociopolitical issues Shonen Jump Weeklies or feminism would be OK.

Except they weren't making a sociopolitical statement, they were making a joke. People just want something to be upset about especially those on the right. This is why I hate conservatives so much.

Lord Oink wrote:
Some people can't separate personal politics from their job

How do you they are inserting personal politics into the script and not you know telling a joke.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:53 pm Reply with quote
OtakuAnthony_AH wrote:
Except they weren't making a sociopolitical statement, they were making a joke. People just want something to be upset about especially those on the right. This is why I hate conservatives so much.
They weren't just "making a joke". Funimation has rewritten entire scenes just to replace jokes with their brand of politics; if that isn't making a sociopolitical statement, then nothing is. And this isn't even a conservative thing: plenty of people from every side aren't terribly fond of their butchering the script just to virtue signal.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
OtakuAnthony_AH wrote:
They weren't just "making a joke". Funimation has rewritten entire scenes just to replace jokes with their brand of politics; if that isn't making a sociopolitical statement, then nothing is. And this isn't even a conservative thing: plenty of people from every side aren't terribly fond of their butchering the script just to virtue signal.

Could someone quote specific sub-vs.-dub examples, to help illustrate the argument for us bystanders who aren't angry core-fans?
I read "Funimation rewriting things their way" and it just flashes back all those Sgt. Frog demons; I can't believe the MKDM dub could ever be that bad....Er, could it? Anime smile + sweatdrop
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4