• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Video News Recap

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TexZero

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
We confirmed that it's still auto-playing for some people, so we've removed the video.

When I test it here in Japan it does not auto-play. Thank you for letting me know that this isn't the case for everyone.

Thank you for the update.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for removing the videos permanently, hopefully you don't add them back, they can stay in their own articles for whoever is interested.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, so much for that. Maybe you will consider giving these recap videos their own article pages, it's quite annoying to have so much clutter everywhere.

Edit: Looking back, you did say they'd still probably stay at the bottom of articles, meh, obviously not a fan. I'll try to find a way around them I guess, or use the place less.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:32 am Reply with quote
Thing is, these videos are geared a little more towards our casual readers, not our regular readers.

IE: They're geared towards people who follow a link from another website, read an article, then leave the site. These people won't see the videos if we put them on another page.

We could add an option for all registered readers to disable these videos though.

-t
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:42 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
We could add an option for all registered readers to disable these videos though.

That would be a huge help! Smile
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:34 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Tempest wrote:

That would be a huge help! Smile

That sounds like a good solution.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:56 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

-t

That would sure be nice.
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind that they are at the bottom of articles. The most important thing is that the autoplaying is gone, and I thank you all for that.

It's too bad that autoplaying was enabled from the get-go; if they introduced as they are now, the reception would have been more positive. As it is the first impression was so overwhelmingly negative that people (at least registered members) are probably more disinclined to view any of the videos going forward than they would have been had autoplayer been disabled from the start.

PS: Did these videos replace the link to Bob's Anime Corner Shop? Just noticed that isn't showing up at the bottom of articles anymore.
TexZero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Thing is, these videos are geared a little more towards our casual readers, not our regular readers.

IE: They're geared towards people who follow a link from another website, read an article, then leave the site. These people won't see the videos if we put them on another page.

-t

I feel like the two goals don't quite align. If you're targeting casual readers who want a digest then the more obvious location for this type of material would be in the visual carousel or banner at the top of the page. Your existing viewership already reads articles to completion thus having them at the bottom isn't helpful to either subset.

Additionally, while your research may have some metrics that contradict me, i feel that digest videos are actually more targeted toward those who are interested in the hot things but dont have the time to scan every article, that is to say a more moderate viewership than your target goal.

The proposed solution is also problematic, using just myself as a point of reference often times i read the site not logged-in. Being made to do so to avoid this isn't really the best solution i can think of, and im sure im not alone in that feeling.

Ultimately i think the idea may need more refinement before it gets re-implemented.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:33 am Reply with quote
I honestly don't understand why anyone has a problem with them now that the autoplay is gone. They literally have zero impact on your experience with the site.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:42 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I honestly don't understand why anyone has a problem with them now that the autoplay is gone. They literally have zero impact on your experience with the site.

Well it clearly bothers some of us and it has an impact on my experience with the website, a negative one.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:43 am Reply with quote
I guess it makes a difference if you access the site by a computer or mobile device. I use a computer with no data limit so it is no big deal for me. All I see is a line of black at the bottom of the screen. I don't have a mobile device so I can't tell if it would be a problem there.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:53 am Reply with quote
^I've experienced it on both platforms and it is basically the same. Maybe if you have a really slow connection and it won't load a page properly on mobile it's different? But it has had zero impact on me there either.

Thorfinn wrote:

Well it clearly bothers some of us and it has an impact on my experience with the website, a negative one.

But why? You don't like the thumbnail color choices? Do you have a fear of 16:9 rectangles? You think Goku is super ugly? I'm genuinely confused. It seems like you just can't get enough of complaining about it, to be honest. It literally does nothing except slightly change the way the page looks if you scroll all the way to the bottom. Do you also complain about the banners on a regular basis? Maybe that'll help me figure out where you're coming from here. The only complaints I can think of are just extremely petty, honestly. Confused
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:

I feel like the two goals don't quite align. If you're targeting casual readers who want a digest then the more obvious location for this type of material would be in the visual carousel or banner at the top of the page. Your existing viewership already reads articles to completion thus having them at the bottom isn't helpful to either subset.

Do you mean a visual carousel at the top of every article ? That's actually an interesting idea...

Quote:
Additionally, while your research may have some metrics that contradict me, i feel that digest videos are actually more targeted toward those who are interested in the hot things but dont have the time to scan every article, that is to say a more moderate viewership than your target goal.

That's actually good insight, thank you. We don't have metrics on this because it's something new.

Quote:
The proposed solution is also problematic, using just myself as a point of reference often times i read the site not logged-in. Being made to do so to avoid this isn't really the best solution i can think of, and im sure im not alone in that feeling.

Already ahead of you on that Smile It's not a perfect solution, but we're going to allow settings to be saved to local cookies. So everytime you visit the site from the same browser (assuming you allow cookies) it will display the site the way you want it. You'll only need to login to access your account, post messages, use subscriber features, etc...
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Regarding auto-play, it was turned off in the server-side settings when we said it was, however those settings are cached on the client side, which is why it continued to auto-play for many of you even after we turned it off.

Would a few of you be willing to go to this test page: animenewsnetwork.com/playwire/.122816 and let me know if it auto-plays for you or not ?

It shouldn't, and it doesn't on any of the machines I've tested it on, but I've cleared my cache on my primary device since the auto-play setting was turned off, so I'd like to get feedback from as many people as possible.

For now, the video will stay at the bottom of the page, with auto-play off, but I really like TexZero's suggestion, so we're going to mock it up and try to move it into a site-revision that we're currently working on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9