• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Black Butler Creator Comments on Works With Homosexual Love

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:04 am Reply with quote
Friendly reminder Grell isn't a gay drag queen but a bi trans woman
lebrel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:27 am Reply with quote
Kaylee Smerbeck wrote:
Friendly reminder Grell isn't a gay drag queen but a bi trans woman

A lot of people seem to believe this, but I've never understood the reasoning... Has it ever been clearly indicated or confirmed in any way? I got through the first 18 volumes of the manga, and he (IMO) seems to be pretty clearly based on the "psycho flamboyant okama" stereotype (compare Berg Katze from Gatchaman Crowds). The only thing I can think of is the line he says early on, "I should have been born a woman", but he says that while preening and it's a common expression of pretty-boy male vanity (it can be traced in some form as far back as The Tale of Genji), not anything to do with gender identity...

Edit: actually, the fact that he uses that line could be considered evidence that he doesn't identify as female, since it is a stock phrase used exclusively by male characters...
Ashymo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I was thinking about adding "aimed at women" in my original comment, but I didn't because even though most of Black Butler's fans seem to be women, it's still published in a shonen magazine technically.

#861208 wrote:
Also, G Fantasy is shonen in name only. Its audience is squarely women/fujoshi. K manga ran in it, The Royal Tutor is in it... it's pretty much all bishounen.

Chrono1000 wrote:
Quote:
"Several women" to be exact, let's not forget that Black Butler is Shonen, Ciel even has potential love interests, little dude has a harem.

To be clear I like the show and it is entertaining but saying that Black Butler is Shonen doesn't really say anything about the show. At this point Shonen just means that it is published in a Shonen magazine.

Kuroshitsuji is published in a unisex magazine, *specifically* aimed at women. It's right there at the wikipedia...------>x Majority of the creators are women and so are the readers. I thought this was a known fact, but I guess too many people are still relying on the messy and full of errors English databases.
Tsuruhami

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
I feel like since YOI thisnshipping thing has gotten a million times worse. And why must everyone assume that any time two same-sex characters interacts it has to be gay?? Can we stop with all that nonsense?? This is what annoys me. Nowadays it's either a character HAS to be gay or it's not good. Like, seriously?? It annoys me so much because now everyone js like, "oh, are they gay?? It"ll be great to see a non fetish-like relationship". That pisses me off so much. Like stop pushing your ideals onto characters who aren't like that!! Not every character has to be gay!! I have nothing against gay characters because i love yaoi and all, but people need to control themselves.

This also applied to a lot "straight" character. Every time there's a great friendships between a girl and a boy, people will be railing about how they should be a couple. "Why couldn't Winry just stay friends with Edward? Why there must be a romance between a guy and a girl? Their friendship is awesome! Why it must be sexual???" Said no one ever.

"I hate seeing x so please do something about it"

Dude, you can block and mute people on twitter. If you use tumblr, you can use tumblr savior.
Sorry, but preaching about how you hate gay shipping isn't gonna stop women from creating gay fanarts. Follow people that share that same hobby as you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7