• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Ancient Magus' Bride English Dub Stars Dani Chambers, Brian Mathis

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:56 am Reply with quote
Chise sounds a lot less withdrawn, but I like Elias voice actor.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:46 am Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
He cast a black actor in the lead role.

...Brian Mathis isn't black.

EDIT: You meant Chambers, my bad disregard. You said actor and I got confused.
edmg7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:14 am Reply with quote
Aerodynamic41 wrote:
macattack wrote:
I can't place Dani Chambers. It's either an alias (for a VA whose voice I don't know obviously) or she really is a newbie. That trailer doesn't make her sound like a newbie, though. I wonder if she's a veteran from the Dallas theater scene and they brought her in specifically for Chise?

It's definitely not an alias since she has her own Twitter account: https://twitter.com/SkiniMini07/status/922964918529380352

*Internet stalking abilities activate!*

Okay, so her Twitter shows that she has her own website and YouTube channel. The former has some demo reels of her voice, and while the clips are out of context they show she not only has some acting chops but a range that reminds me of Brina Palencia. The YouTube channel is pretty much all Let's Plays, but she has done freelance for internet videos (including at least one abridged series), so basically she's getting her start similarly to Chris Niosi or the guys at TeamFourStar. Overall, I think she is perfectly capable of handling this role, but there's more to it than just her acting abilities, so we'll see.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:28 am Reply with quote
Icehawk wrote:
The voices sound decent but I was hoping for they would get someone with a good british accent for Elias, oh well.

Yeah if it had been tyler walker i would have bet money he would have used accents
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:27 am Reply with quote
There have been black actors in lead anime roles, but Chambers is the first one I can recall playing a “pure” Japanese character. Most black actors tend to play black characters from other countries. And even when the character is part of the black Japanese minority, the role is usually filled by a Caucasian, as seen with Monica Rial in Michiko & Hatchin and Patrick Seitz in SAO. On the other hand, Chise is not only Japanese, but she doesn’t appear to be of any minority Japanese group. In my book, that’s worth commending. After all these are VOICE actors. Voice doesn’t have a color.
Morry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:38 am Reply with quote
Just want to point out that Chise is technically partially "minority" due to her red hair and green eyes. spoiler[This is explicitly brought up as hinting to foreign lineage] so it's not just a stylistic choice.

Also, it would be slightly problematic for an ancient mage like Elias to have a British accent since spoiler[Lindel first found him outside England and his origin is unknown.]
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:53 am Reply with quote
I think Dani Chambers was in the Hamtaro abridged series (which doesn't seem to be that uncommon - Justin Briner was also in an abridged series before getting named roles).
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:08 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
the role is usually filled by a Caucasian, as seen with Monica Rial in Michiko & Hatchin and Patrick Seitz in SAO. On the other hand, Chise is not only Japanese, but she doesn’t appear to be of any minority Japanese group.

Monica Rial is Spanish! How do people still not know this?

Michiko & Hatchin was a fusion (albeit minor giving the setting) of Japanese and South American (mostly Brazillian) cultures, not African. Even then the cast had black actors in main/supporting roles like Akron Watson as Satoshi Batista and Sametria Ewunes (I hope I spelled her name right) as Atsuko Jackson.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

People didn't know this? Rial is a very common Spanish surname, and Monica is a very common Spanish first name.

Not to mention any interview with Monica discussing the anime has her gushing about how culturally significant it was for her.
macattack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:34 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

People didn't know this? Rial is a very common Spanish surname, and Monica is a very common Spanish first name.

Not to mention any interview with Monica discussing the anime has her gushing about how culturally significant it was for her.

There's a surprising amount of people who think Spaniards are Caucasian.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:04 am Reply with quote
In the 2nd "Vanishing Line" episode, there was a black character named Hardy. Black actor Christopher Dontrell Piper played him in the simuldub.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:42 am Reply with quote
Seriously, Dani sounded like Jill Harris. If that was the case, then this would be the most hyped 2017 series Jill was starring in.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:09 am Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Not everyone is familiar with Spanish names.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:32 am Reply with quote
Since there have been some posts about black voice actors/actresses playing black anime characters, here is another post on that: Caitlin Glass' 10/26/2017@9:22AM tweet said "Ep 2 of #GaroVanishingLine today! Happy to introduce Alle Mims as Enith & Christopher Dontrell Piper as Hardy! I❤️casting amazing actors!"

While both have been in theatre, I wouldn't mind seeing them in more Funi roles and would even like to see them being respective leads in a show someday. However, given how 400+ people have been on Funi's payroll, that could be a few years from now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2