• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Made in Abyss Episodes 1-13 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silent-Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:58 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
And nudity in Made in Abyss,what now?

There has been no full on nudity in Made in Abyss,closest you'll get is Riko taking a bath with her hair covering the naughty bits.

Let me chime in with my personal thoughts on this topic. I have zero problems with how the nudity is portrayed in the show and it appears to be innocent. However, I do have issues with how the more "sexual situations" are being slotted into the story. Examples such as references to penises or Reg getting flustered at the sight of Riko getting undressed (simply for health reasons) kills the serious tension the story builds up at that point. The problem isn't with the content of the jokes themselves, but with rather the comedic timing of them. Made in Abyss is no doubt a great show and executes many aspects well, but it does have its own share of flaws too. Even if this is a minor flaw, it won't stop me from enjoying the series.

Last edited by Silent-Ninja on Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:22 am Reply with quote
I'm sort of curious... I'm not a parent so I don't have a great grasp of figuring out what content may be too upsetting for children to watch. Given some of the genuinely scary, harrowing and sometimes sad content, what do people think is the youngest a child could be and watch this without being scarred for life? I'm not sure I'd be comfortable recommending it to a child who wasn't at least 11.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote
Silent-Ninja wrote:
Nordhmmer wrote:

There has been no full on nudity in Made in Abyss,closest you'll get is Riko taking a bath with her hair covering the naughty bits.

Let me chime in with my personal thoughts on this topic. I have zero problems with how the nudity is portrayed in the show and it appears to be innocent. However, I do have issues with how the more sexual situations are being slotted into the story. Examples such as references to penises or Reg getting flustered at the sight of Riko getting undressed (simply for health reasons) kills the serious tension the story builds up at that point. Honestly, the show come have done without those in my opinion. Made in Abyss is no doubt a great show and executes many aspects well, but it does have its own share of flaws too. Even if this is a minor flaw, it won't stop me from enjoying the series.

Shows like this NEED comic relief and lighter moments for the tension, trauma, and violence to work as well as they do. The author's chosen method of comic relief just happens to be 12-year-old-boy penis / "this is lewd!" jokes. It hardly even counts as fanservice or a true "sexual situation" tbh.

I mean, anime generally gets a bad wrap for underage characters, but look at how the 12/13 year old boys talk to each other and behave in a movie like It or The Goonies - they are pervs / curse / feel awkward yet attracted to girls, etc. I don't think it's unusual that Reg/Riko would be curious about that kind of stuff.
Silent-Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:58 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Silent-Ninja wrote:
Nordhmmer wrote:

Let me chime in with my personal thoughts on this topic. I have zero problems with how the nudity is portrayed in the show and it appears to be innocent. However, I do have issues with how the more sexual situations are being slotted into the story. Examples such as references to penises or Reg getting flustered at the sight of Riko getting undressed (simply for health reasons) kills the serious tension the story builds up at that point. Honestly, the show come have done without those in my opinion. Made in Abyss is no doubt a great show and executes many aspects well, but it does have its own share of flaws too. Even if this is a minor flaw, it won't stop me from enjoying the series.

Shows like this NEED comic relief and lighter moments for the tension, trauma, and violence to work as well as they do. The author's chosen method of comic relief just happens to be 12-year-old-boy penis / "this is lewd!" jokes. It hardly even counts as fanservice or a true "sexual situation" tbh.

I mean, anime generally gets a bad wrap for underage characters, but look at how the 12/13 year old boys talk to each other and behave in a movie like It or The Goonies - they are pervs / curse / feel awkward yet attracted to girls, etc. I don't think it's unusual that Reg/Riko would be curious about that kind of stuff.

Yes, I do agree that they need comic relief and lighter moments. There's no denying that. I am not saying this show should never have any lighter moments or comedic relief at all. My original comment was my own expression of personal dissatisfaction with how it was executed. That was all. I think it could have done better. No need to get defensive over my difference in opinion. The last thing I want is to have this civil discussion to be turned into an emotionally-driven argument. So, let's leave it that.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I am not saying this show should never have any lighter moments or comedic relief at all. My original comment was my own expression of personal dissatisfaction with how it was executed. That was all. I think it could have done better. No need to get defensive over my difference in opinion. The last thing I want is to have this civil discussion to be turned into an emotionally-driven argument. So, let's leave it that.

Exactly, and there was no need to be condescending when I expressed my reasons for not wanting to watch Abyss. If you like it, that's fine! Besides, shows like this just aren't normally my cup-of-tea anyway.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:49 am Reply with quote
No one is being defensive or argumentative that I've seen(?) I think we as anime fans are just VERY aware of some of the more sordid issues surrounding underage characters (and other fetishes, really) in anime and manga since we are aware of the culture / doujinshi / fanservice / etc. But if you look at MIA from a non-anime point of view, the show never takes things further than any other depiction (or reality, lol) of pre-teen boys (and girls). The gaze isn't meant to be sexual - it's more "Haha, up the butt humor LOL" ... and I think we just jump on "OMG LOLI AND SHOTA!" Whereas in an American movie or show, we'd just say "haha, 12 year old boys ..." and roll our eyes.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
@Silent-Ninja

The body & potty humor are for Japanese audiences.But I see where you're coming from,found some of the potty humor in the later chapters cringe worthy myself.

But the manga really does provide a context for these scenes.
Riko is not just simply naive about sexuality,the knowledge is not there.her being so heavily focused on the Abyss.
Reg's motivations stem from a deep rooted loyalty,he feels the embarrassment Riko should be feeling herself.

Highly recommend reading the manga,the current arc has only just begun.
Ragdollomega

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Ergzay wrote:

I've seen a couple people say this but people are assuming the chapters are equivalent in length, this is not at all the case. I have all 6 Japanese volumes and the anime cuts off at 1.5 chapters (page 33) into volume 4. In terms of actual page count we're almost precisely at half way through the available material. A couple chapters (3-4) and we'll have enough for another series. Every volume so far is almost exactly 160 pages with variable number of chapters per book. So for another series we need another 66 pages or so of content beyond Volume 6 (which I think already exists?).

I'd say it's more that there isn't an appropriate stopping point yet for a new season rather than required chapter or page numbers. The story arc following where this season left off is too short for a full season even if they really padded it out and the current story arc has only just begun. Even with the increased page numbers per chapter, I don't see the current story arc coming to a close so soon. But anything can happen over the course of the next chapters so we'll just have to wait and see.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Ragdollomega wrote:

I'd say it's more that there isn't an appropriate stopping point yet for a new season rather than required chapter or page numbers. The story arc following where this season left off is too short for a full season even if they really padded it out and the current story arc has only just begun. Even with the increased page numbers per chapter, I don't see the current story arc coming to a close so soon. But anything can happen over the course of the next chapters so we'll just have to wait and see.

Your comment bears repeating.

I feel Ergzay is being overly-optimistic with his predictions,and given the author's habit of releasing chapters "when I get around to it" (generally half-a-week to months between releases).Saying the current arc will finish in "3 to 4 chapters" is again wildly optimistic.
Silent-Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
@Silent-Ninja

The body & potty humor are for Japanese audiences.But I see where you're coming from,found some of the potty humor in the later chapters cringe worthy myself.

But the manga really does provide a context for these scenes.
Riko is not just simply naive about sexuality,the knowledge is not there.her being so heavily focused on the Abyss.
Reg's motivations stem from a deep rooted loyalty,he feels the embarrassment Riko should be feeling herself.

Highly recommend reading the manga,the current arc has only just begun.

Judging from the responses brought forward from you and @jenthehen, it's safe to say that I find this distasteful and there's nothing morally wrong with that. However, I'm not going to put down others for liking it; it's their own business and I would rather not meddle in it. Since you've mentioned the manga, I should also note that I'm already caught up to it. I just hope the mangaka gets around to penning some more chapters for it pretty soon. The story is just too grand of a scale to not be continued.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote
On the topic of the nudity/lewd jokes, since some people just want to shut it down now I guess, I'll be quick. As an uncle of 14, 9 of whom are boys, yes, this is the kind of stuff that kids do. Especially between the ages of 10-14. People are over-thinking it. And while you have the right to not watch it on that basis, if that's really all you're avoiding it for, you're making a mistake as far as I'm concerned. And everyone else also has the right to tell you that. If you don't like being told that, maybe don't come to a thread to make a comment like "I'd totally watch this show...if it wasn't for the blatant depictions of nude children on a regular basis." if you don't want to meet some resistance from people who have a better understanding of the content and have actually seen the show.
This isn't meant to be aggressive or condescending, these are just my honest thoughts. I'm sorry that you feel the way you do.

Blood- wrote:
I'm sort of curious... I'm not a parent so I don't have a great grasp of figuring out what content may be too upsetting for children to watch. Given some of the genuinely scary, harrowing and sometimes sad content, what do people think is the youngest a child could be and watch this without being scarred for life? I'm not sure I'd be comfortable recommending it to a child who wasn't at least 11.

Just based on my own childhood, body horror was about the scariest thing on earth to me, and that seems to be the case with my nephews and nieces as well(maybe it runs in the family), so I would probably avoid this for anyone under the age of about 13, personally. All of the Mitty content is much too extreme for pre-High School me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
@ relyat08 - yeah, actually 13 does seem more appropriate. Hell, I'm 52 and I think there was stuff in there I am too young to see.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
@ meiam - I think that it’s shown well at that part that both Rico and Reg would have needed each other to make it as far as they did and that was partly why it was paced the way it was. The middle helps to establish their good partnership and when Ep 10 happens, it hurts more than it would have initially. The pacing did not make the middle portion weak at all and the staff did a very good job of keeping us invested in their journey through the end of the anime thus far.

I disagree on the bolded point. It is, in fact, the reason why I relegated this series to the #2 spot for the Summer 2017 season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh believe me, Key, many of us aren't going to forget you put Princess Principal - an anime that will be rapidly forgotten - ahead of one of the best anime series in a number of years.
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

That’d depend on the child to me. Some kids seem desensitized to everything in late elementary school, while others are still sensitive through middle school age. Anime Strike has eered on the side of caution and given the show a TV-14 rating.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5