• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Made in Abyss Episodes 1-13 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Łukasz Kawosz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:53 am Reply with quote
Can't you guys give up the penis stuff already. It's like few short scenes.

You have entire episode of a little girl screaming and bleeding from every orifices and you consider kids talking about dicks crossing the line?
Silent-Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:13 am Reply with quote
Łukasz Kawosz wrote:
Can't you guys give up the penis stuff already. It's like few short scenes.

You have entire episode of a little girl screaming and bleeding from every orifices and you consider kids talking about dicks crossing the line?

I wholeheartedly agree, sir. I was hoping the discussion on it would be very brief as that stuff only happens a few times, just like you said. I think those of us involved have sufficiently expressed our thoughts on the matter and it has unfortunately dragged out too long. However, you're mistaken about one thing: I wasn't considering it as crossing the line. It's completely normal stuff and I have no problem with that. My issue was with the comedic timing of it, no more no less. In any case, I would love to see this end right here and now.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Why does literally every thread about MIA on this site always turn into pedantic and long-winded diatribes about child nudity, lol. I watched the entire show in one sitting and was surprised that that is what I'd heard so much controversy over when it was actually tame and rare as fudge. I agree with a previous comment that said the problem was that anime fans tend to view these things through the lens of their own fandom. In a larger context MIA's occasional nudity is nothing worth fussing over, but within this community you always have people concerned with concepts like "lolis" and "shota" or whatever, and they tie this idea of pervy fans simply existing to the work actually encouraging gross shit, even when it isn't (and this most certainly isn't doing that at all).

The show itself was phenomenal, aside from a few episodes that dragged in the middle portion (seems like a few people share that sentiment with me). Never have I felt as uncomfortable and became so emotionally drained as episode 10 made me. I couldn't hold back my tears, and I was compelled to cover my eyes and mouth in shock multiple times (and my god, how the music swelled! Crying or Very sad ). In fact, after that episode I actually had to take a break from the show for a few days to recover from it. This is the only show or movie that's ever had that effect on me. But it was raw and unrelenting in a way that I have the utmost respect for, the show never shied away from the horror and brutality of this world. But amidst all that the series ultimately has a positive and spiritually uplifting outlook, which helps balance the tragedy so it never gets to the point where it's too unbearable. The characters are great, the music and animation are godly, and it's definitely one of the best and most impressive anime series of the last few years. Desperately in need of a season two, and I hope it gets one.
Silent-Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Why does literally every thread about MIA on this site always turn into pedantic and long-winded diatribes about child nudity, lol. I watched the entire show in one sitting and was surprised that that is what I'd heard so much controversy over when it was actually tame and rare as fudge. I agree with a previous comment that said the problem was that anime fans tend to view these things through the lens of their own fandom. In a larger context MIA's occasional nudity is nothing worth fussing over, but within this community you always have people concerned with concepts like "lolis" and "shota" or whatever, and they tie this idea of pervy fans simply existing to the work actually encouraging gross shit, even when it isn't (and this most certainly isn't doing that at all).

The show itself was phenomenal, aside from a few episodes that dragged in the middle portion (seems like a few people share that sentiment with me). Never have I felt as uncomfortable and became so emotionally drained as episode 10 made me. I couldn't hold back my tears, and I was compelled to cover my eyes and mouth in shock multiple times (and my god, how the music swelled! Crying or Very sad ). In fact, after that episode I actually had to take a break from the show for a few days to recover from it. This is the only show or movie that's ever had that effect on me. But it was raw and unrelenting in a way that I have the utmost respect for, the show never shied away from the horror and brutality of this world. But amidst all that the series ultimately has a positive and spiritually uplifting outlook, which helps balance the tragedy so it never gets to the point where it's too unbearable. The characters are great, the music and animation are godly, and it's definitely one of the best and most impressive anime series of the last few years. Desperately in need of a season two, and I hope it gets one.

Yeah, I don't get it man. Yes, I admit I made an honest mistake in partaking in that thread, despite my noble intentions of only keeping it super brief. Unfortunately, I have greatly underestimated the power of threads getting derailed into something unnecessary. I've already learned a very important lesson from this as a new ANN user (you can tell from the small number of posts in my profile lol). However, unlike others, I was not fussing about the the child nudity itself; it was with the comedic timing of the body humour and how it affected the story's tension. There is a clear difference between the two and a different complaint altogether. I know I've repeated that point a few times, but I wanted to make it clear in case you weren't aware of it.

I do wholeheartedly agree with your second paragraph regarding your overall thoughts on the show itself. It would be a tragedy if the series doesn't get a second season. Hope the mangaka pens more chapters pretty soon, so then we get enough material for a second season. A fantastic show, but falls short of being a masterpiece imo.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Silent-Ninja wrote:
Yeah, I don't get it man. Yes, I admit I made an honest mistake in partaking in that thread, despite my noble intentions of only keeping it super brief. Unfortunately, I have greatly underestimated the power of threads getting derailed into something unnecessary. I've already learned a very important lesson from this as a new ANN user (you can tell from the small number of posts in my profile lol). However, unlike others, I was not fussing about the the child nudity itself; it was with the comedic timing of the body humour and how it affected the story's tension. There is a clear difference between the two and a different complaint altogether. I know I've repeated that point a few times, but I wanted to make it clear in case you weren't aware of it.

I do wholeheartedly agree with your second paragraph regarding your overall thoughts on the show itself. It would be a tragedy if the series doesn't get a second season. Hope the mangaka pens more chapters pretty soon, so then we get enough material for a second season. A fantastic show, but falls short of being a masterpiece imo.

I can totally see why the comedic timing itself would have been an issue for you. It wasn't for me and it didn't take me out of the experience but those moments were definitely some of my least favorites in the show. But as I've said, thankfully they tend to be very brief asides that don't overstay their welcome. I like to let my feelings on things stir and gel for a while (even ones I love) before spouting out whether or not I'd honor it with hyperbolic labels such as "masterpiece" or "classic," but I'll just say that MIA elicited emotions out of me that a piece of media hasn't in a very, very long time. Some I didn't even know I was capable of feeling at the same time. The rest of the anime I've seen this year sure have they're work cut out for them in comparison.

I might just pick up the manga if the wait for the hypothetical second season becomes too unbearable. Again, reading the manga is another thing an anime rarely ever compels me to do.
Silent-Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Silent-Ninja wrote:

I can totally see why the comedic timing itself would have been an issue for you. It wasn't for me and it didn't take me out of the experience but those moments were definitely some of my least favorites in the show. But as I've said, thankfully they tend to be very brief asides that don't overstay their welcome. I like to let my feelings on things stir and gel for a while (even ones I love) before spouting out whether or not I'd honor it with hyperbolic labels such as "masterpiece" or "classic," but I'll just say that MIA elicited emotions out of me that a piece of media hasn't in a very, very long time. Some I didn't even know I was capable of feeling at the same time. The rest of the anime I've seen this year sure have they're work cut out for them in comparison.

I might just pick up the manga if the wait for the hypothetical second season becomes too unbearable. Again, reading the manga is another thing an anime rarely ever compels me to do.

Thank you for taking the time to read and understand my reply. I'm glad we can come to an agreement. Smile I'm the same way. Not very many series deserve the hyperbolic label like "masterpiece" or "classic" imo. To label Made in Abyss as such is simply overrating it. Don't get me wrong, we can all certainly agree that Made in Abyss deserves to be awarded as AOTS (Anime of the Season) for Summer 2017 from an overall quality standpoint. The biggest problem it has is the story's in-completion. I can safely say the same for the manga (without spoiling). My personal rating for the show is no more than an 8/10. Although, I'm thinking about rewatching it again. Perhaps, I can pick up details I previously missed during my first watch and they may or may not influence my current opinion on the show.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:32 am Reply with quote
The problem, guys n' gals, is that lolicon and shotacon are very, very real things in anime/manga and a lot more common than what most fans who aren't into that stuff would like. Hence anything that even approaches those two categories (even if unintentionally, as I think this series does) will be regarded with suspicion about its intent by fandom, even if those outside of fandom wouldn't see it that way, because fandom knows how all-too-easily this stuff can get genuinely squicky.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The problem, guys n' gals, is that lolicon and shotacon are very, very real things in anime/manga and a lot more common than what most fans who aren't into that stuff would like. Hence anything that even approaches those two categories (even if unintentionally, as I think this series does) will be regarded with suspicion about its intent by fandom, even if those outside of fandom wouldn't see it that way, because fandom knows how all-too-easily this stuff can get genuinely squicky.

Since I'm usually one of the people criticizing pointless and/or excessive and juvenile sexual content in anime, the fact that I have given almost unmitigated praise to this show should say something.
Velshtein

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:

Well, I certainly agree that MIA is a great show.

I also agree that MIA does not encourage loli/shota stuff. But let's not pretend that the show is not pandering to a specific segment of the audience when it has a cross dressing effeminate trap boy (and his tall and powerful dominatrix), kids being tied up naked BDSM style, and random nude scenes of kids bathing. That kind of content doesn't by any means ruin the entire show, but it is distracting and makes me hesitate to recommend MIA to non-anime fans who might have difficulty casually overlooking those scenes.

Key wrote:

I could not have said it better myself.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:00 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't say that pandering is the right word. Nor would I hesitate to recommend this to plenty of non-anime fans if they asked me for something good to watch. I think a lot of the things you referred to only sound that questionable when coming from the mentality of a person who's actually familiar with the deeper workings of the medium, which we've already established and Key has so eloquently summed up for us Like, does the show itself ever depict being "strung up naked" as anything but kinda f*cked up and disturbing (albeit with a sort of dark humor surrounding the idea)? Let alone as something "kinky?" I'd say definitely not.

Also I'm just now realizing that Marulk was actually a boy. Wha? I was under the impression that it was a girl whom Reg just humorously tried to clarify the gender of by asking her if they were. How stupid I feel right now. Do they go deeper into it in the manga? Because I didn't pick up on that at all just from the single scene I mentioned.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:32 am Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:

Also I'm just now realizing that Marulk was actually a boy. Wha? I was under the impression that it was a girl whom Reg just humorously tried to clarify the gender of by asking her if they were. How stupid I feel right now. Do they go deeper into it in the manga? Because I didn't pick up on that at all just from the single scene I mentioned.

I think the moment just after that, when Riko walks in and Reg says something along the lines of "wow, I guess it's been hard for you too" presumably just after hearing how he's been abused and made to dress up, is a bit of a hint toward that. As is the fact that Marulk covers his eyes and freaks out in almost exactly the same manner as Reg after seeing naked Riko walk in. Also worth mentioning is that Marulk uses masculine pronouns(僕boku) when referring to himself. His gender is never explicitly stated in the show(haven't read the manga, so I don't know about that), but I'm pretty certain he is a boy.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:06 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the clarification. Can't believe I missed all that. As if the series didn't already have enough disturbing implications without the idea that Ozen uses her servant to satisfy deep-rooted creepy fetishes, lol.
mbanu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone else see the compilation film and decide to watch the series?

I agree that as seen through the eyes of the main characters it's a very compelling and nostalgic adventure story. One sort of interesting thing I was wondering if anyone else noticed was the sort of commentary on the adults, and the sort of adults that would become and remain Abyss delvers after growing up.

I caught the dub for the film, so I was struck when watching the series. In Japanese they seem to explicitly decide on a voice without any affect for Ozen, for instance. The flat voice, the casual cruelty, and the adherence to an abstract code of ethics that she believed made her a good person in the absence of what appears to be any real ability to feel empathy gives the impression that there was something broken in her that the children couldn't quite see -- that didn't really come across in the dub.

Or the backstory; to the children, the orphanage is an adventurer's school, but once you remove the excitement, it's really a place that takes especially vulnerable children and exploits them for money; yet much like Ozen, they are the "good ones", compared to say what happens to the orphans taken by Bondrewd (who like Ozen seems to think he is one of the good ones).

It paints a story of broken adults luring children into toxic relationships which will either destroy them or turn them into broken adults themselves.

Like Ozen thinking fondly of warping a child into a violent alcoholic with a taste for boyish men, and then her daughter seeing her as some kind of impossible hero... It adds a whole layer of sadness to an already sad story, in my opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5