• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: DAIGO Promote's Sister's New Manga — Assures Fans It's 'Normal'

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lebrel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Not sure how many Eiki Eiki fans would be upset if the manga wasn't "normal"...

Quote:
His anime/manga counterpart also had a heavily hinted relationship with another male character in the show.

In the manga it goes well beyond hints; the anime left it a tiny bit ambiguous.
fencer_x

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
“Heavily hinted”? They get married in the manga and have their own novels about their extensive relationship. It’s a BL series; there’s no beating about the bush with it lol.

Also I’m Not a fan of Japan’s use of ‘normal’ to mean ‘heterosexual’, especially since the phrasing here implies anything otherwise would be cause for alarm -_-; I would have expected daigo of all people to be a bit more tactful since he’s always supported his sisters work enthusiasticallly.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:32 pm Reply with quote
fencer_x wrote:
“Heavily hinted”? They get married in the manga and have their own novels about their extensive relationship. It’s a BL series; there’s no beating about the bush with it lol.

Also I’m Not a fan of Japan’s use of ‘normal’ to mean ‘heterosexual’, especially since the phrasing here implies anything otherwise would be cause for alarm -_-; I would have expected daigo of all people to be a bit more tactful since he’s always supported his sisters work enthusiasticallly.

With all due respect the definition of the English word normal is conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected. By that definition yes heterosexual is normal, statistical that is the most common sexual preference and by an extremely large margin. I dont know why that offends. He is not saying anything negative, he is simply stating a fact. You seem to be simply twisting someone's words just so you can but on some pretentious act of being offended. I can most assure you that Japan and the rest of the world is not a fan of the many of the US's viewpoints either.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm quite certain the only thing "normal" even meant here was "not smutty" and had nothing to do with sexual orientation.
lebrel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:18 pm Reply with quote
^ "Normal" here seems to mean "not BL". (Because BL is not normal, I guess...). And I do think it is probably also somewhat influenced by the fact that the most common word Japan uses as the equivalent of "straight" in casual conversation actually means "normal".
musouka

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
I'm quite certain the only thing "normal" even meant here was "not smutty" and had nothing to do with sexual orientation.

"Normal" is Japanese slang meaning "het," so, no, he wasn't referring to sex scenes.

I'm not a huge fan of the term and how it's used, either.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:02 pm Reply with quote
If someone was previously known for ecchi harem comedies, then general audiences would require similar reassurances if they made a standard romance, even though only heterosexuality was involved either way. I can understand why there's concern over the meaning and how it's at least an inconsiderate choice of words, but that cover doesn't exactly scream "this is absolutely 100% free of any and all homoeroticism whatsoever," so the meaning that makes sense to me in this context would be "it's not just cheesecake for fujoshi/fudanshi."
championferret

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:22 am Reply with quote
The world 'normal' is actually the english loan word (nomaru), so while its slightly less offensive than using the japanese word for 'normal' to mean 'not gay', it's not like the meaning of the english word 'normal' is unknown in Japan. But I get kind of uncomfortable when I look at doujin categories and see ''nomaru cp'('normal coupling/pairing').

There's a similar kerfuffle in the BJD/doll hobby with what is commonly referred to as ''Normal Skin'' tone (also using 'nomaru'), which, while not intentionally, has the unfortunate implication of anything else being abnormal.

I think both instances are an example of something that is not intentional, but there are a lot of Japanese people who don't like the slang 'nomaru' to mean 'straight' either. When I was a teachers assistant in Kyushu a few years back, my teacher overheard some girls say ''no, i'm nomaru!'' in response to something or other (I think the girls were joking around pretending to propose to eachother), and he advised them not to use it and explained the unfortunate implications of the term. I imagine Daigo isn't even close to being intentionally antagonistic here, just unaware like a lot of people unfortunately are. After all, if he really had a problem with his sister drawing BL I doubt he would have allowed his super-gay likeness in her previous work.
Wahappen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:55 pm Reply with quote
"Normal"- by saying it you just saved your image, and your sister's.
Let's be real every decent popstars would try to save their pride and avoid major issues.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1