• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 13 Terrifying Anime You Can Stream for Halloween This Year

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:54 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
Blood C is available on Viewster.

It (and the movie) are also available on AnimeLab if you live in Australia or New Zealand.

Anyway, thank you Lynzee for mentioning Shiki. My absolute favourite anime, so I'm always happy to see it get a mention.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:00 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

Maybe we didn't watched the same thing, because spoiler[Humans started to kill humans with no fact checking or remorse and while most vampires killed to feed (there was little choice), some humans indeed were killing vampires with a sense of glee basking in a sense of superiority, not the "rest in peace" kind of thing you expect from champions of justice]

Very few people in life are Champions of Justice. The villagers were just normal people, who had to deal with a horrifying and twisted threat. spoiler[The vampires targeted that town because of it's isolated location, and then with almost military tactics set about killing and converting the residents. This was a planned operation, with an ultimate goal. Expecting the town folk to behave like 'Superman' is very unrealistic, and totally out of context with what the town folk had to experience. They had to watch their murdered family members come to kill them. The audience shouldn't be expecting the town folk to sympathize for the vampires. This wasn't the time or place for mercy.]

The vibe I got from the show was more in line with the anime movie, "Summer Wars".

For most of the show the vampires spoiler[held the upper hand. Then the villagers got their act together to deal with the threat.]

When life or death is on the line, you act to win.

That is why I think the Japanese were going with commonality of community, "like in Summer Wars", and not humans are cruel.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:23 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Very few people in life are Champions of Justice.

spoiler[Indeed, but exceeding the levels of viciousness of your attackers only disqualifies them as "victims"]

When life or death is on the line, you act to win.

spoiler[Having the whole village destroyed and many of the villagers killed at the hands of normal humans at best qualifies as a pyrrhic victory. BTW, you do realize that line can be used by both sides of the conflict?]

Quote:
That is why I think the Japanese were going with commonality of community, "like in Summer Wars", and not humans are cruel.

I have bought the blu-ray for summer wars, I will probably watch it between anime seasons, so I can't comment on the comparison. As for the cruelty, spoiler[at least in this story, vampires are humans (that need a diet of blood, which is less gruesome than Tokyo Ghoul), they retain their memories and their ability to feel emotions and grief.]. I am also thinking about giving myself the BD box for chistmas so it can make company to my Salem's lot blu-ray Anime hyper
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:55 pm Reply with quote
As someone who has kept track of Aniplex licenses that are expiring, I highly recommend everyone pick up Shiki on blu-ray/DVD combo pack. It expires June 30, 2018 and that'll be here before you know it, so if you want a physical copy, I'd recommend getting it now! Funimation has it on sale for $14.99!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:48 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I shall never see the appeal of being frightened or revulsed. It must be the case that there is some substantial affectional difference between me and horror fans; to enjoy emotions that one is usually glad to avoid is something I simply struggle to understand. Presumably, the horror fan's pleasure is a form of catharsis of a character more extreme than what I'm familiar with.

Never presume because when you presume you make a pre of you and me... that doesn't work...

Yes, you are assuming something though, that thinking is involved in watching horror movies. Pleasure, catharsis? No, no, nothing so simple or complex. It's not complex because the purest form of horror is someone coming out of nowhere and shouting "Boo", the jump scare... for the record, I hate fake ones but I love real ones...., and it's not simple because of every other form of horror. "That's not scary" says the man about the balloon wielding killer clown hunting down young teens, screams at the sight of a very large, very sudden spider on his arm. "You baby." admonishes a woman as she picks the spider up to show it the way outside, freezes as when she spies a flash of lightning from a nearby window and flinches at the sound of thunder. Like comedy, horror is subjective and the best horror is the one that reaches you.

There is adrenaline involved, anticipation that builds up the senses and release once the scare is accomplished... people tend to confuse this with "relief" for some reason but it really is more about the body flushing out the excess adrenaline than relief over what happened is over... while the movie prepares for the next scare or you prepare yourself for the next movie. You're asking why anyone would willingly subject themselves to this to this while I could counter "Do you like roller coasters?"

They float... on rails... They all float.... and when you're on one, you'll float too! Nope, my mistake, they're locked in and you won't fall off. This time... who knows what'll happen next time...
Tsuruhami

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:05 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
Color me surprised that so called Male Idols are liked and disliked by females, guess that trend already reached a saturation level.

Well, i generally don't mind watching pretty boys sing and dance, but 90% of these shows are generic as hell. Still, the genre seems to be popular enough in Japan.

Those poll results are surprisingly boring, though.

Yeah. I'm not a huge fans of idols. I prefer to watch action oriented anime that consist of pretty boys.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:
Phantom Blood,

Phantom Blood stops being a horror story the moment it becomes a shonen battle manga.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
You're asking why anyone would willingly subject themselves to this while I could counter "Do you like roller coasters?"

It should be said that I dislike roller coasters with equal vigour. As galling as the sight of bizarre cruelty may be, the sensation of nausea is at least as dire, to say nothing about the bodily consequences thereof...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chibi Buizel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see that every gender demographic agrees that Little Sister anime are the worst
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3