• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Player Stands By 15 Million Yen Spent on Soon Defunct Idolm@ster: Million Live Game

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:26 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
I used to spend a lot in mobages. I spent hundreds on Love Live Schoolfest. But I've reached the point now where I'm like "well, I want that card, but it's not like having it means all that much". I don't play mobages enough and I can always look at the art online.

I'm not sure if I regret spending money on stuff. I think I do. The more I think about it the more I realise I regret it so I try not to think about it. In a way I wish I was as satisfied as this dude. But I'm also glad I didn't go to such an extent as to blow that much cash.

People need to realise that mobages are completely gambling.

Yeah, I've spent a chunk of money on School Idol Festival too, but I've always done it with the assumption that it would eventually shut down sooner or later, like most online games do eventually; I just take it out of the same budget that I use for other ephemeral entertainments, like going out to dinner or going to sporting events. After the recent announcement of SIF All-Stars, though, I'm waiting to hear what if any crossover there might be between the two games and whether we'll be able to port anything over to it from our existing accounts. I'm assuming All-Stars will be the upgrade that eventually replaces SIF somewhere down the road, but I don't intend to spend any more money on SIF until we get more information about that.
Cetais

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:57 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
After the recent announcement of SIF All-Stars, though, I'm waiting to hear what if any crossover there might be between the two games and whether we'll be able to port anything over to it from our existing accounts. I'm assuming All-Stars will be the upgrade that eventually replaces SIF somewhere down the road, but I don't intend to spend any more money on SIF until we get more information about that.

We'll be able to share the level and progress between the two. We don't know much about it yet, but at least there's that.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:37 pm Reply with quote
What kind of work does this person do to have that much disposable income? And here I am getting groceries only when they're on sale and forgoing medical treatment because I can't afford otherwise.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Y'know they should've tried to do a region free release of Idolm@ster. The love for this game has it's own cult following. Actually I wouldn't mind getting ti for our collection, but then I wonder if the kiddies here could...ahem...handle it like adults.

It must be some sort of weird Song's ownership issues or what not, the only other issue might be the quasi dating sim game that often appears in Idolmaster titles, though I don't see how this would get in the way of things when School Live has an assumedly international game.
FD2Raptor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:41 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
It must be some sort of weird Song's ownership issues or what not, the only other issue might be the quasi dating sim game that often appears in Idolmaster titles, though I don't see how this would get in the way of things when School Live has an assumedly international game.

I know that I'm not the only Vietnamese SIF player, so SIF isn't just US/English speaking region only.

The options to pay for premium SIF items through Google play doesn't work for me though (doesn't have the option that I want), so I've only been F2P the game. That being said, with 12UR draws in the ~4 months playing, I don't exactly feel like I need to throw a lot of money into that game.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:49 am Reply with quote
I'm not familiar with these games. What did all that money buy him? Is he losing anything he would have had if the game wasn't terminated or would the game have continued to suck money from his wallet if it continued?
omoikane

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:36 am Reply with quote
Amiantos wrote:
That being said this is pretty common symptom among idol fans in general. Hardcore LLers I'm sure a lot have seen the pictures of them with like 30x of an item on their person at once on top of multiple pieces of other merch on them. It's all about supporting your fav girl.

This may seem like a nitpick to you, but I'm tired of people confusing fans of character franchises like Love Live with fans of actual idols/idol groups. They're very different. Yeah, both fandom have super hardcore fans who spend a lot of money on their favorite girls but they're fundamentally different things. I know it can be confusing, because in reality there's some overlap between the two, but there are also large parts of both that don't overlap.

Amiantos wrote:
TD numbers aren't the strongest right now and I would be willing to be an event featuring her return would bring in numbers that scamco is wanting to see.

Who knows. They really didn't need Taneda to voice Kotoha to solve this issue, but the problem is more like, not having Kotoha voiced causes other problems. I listened to Taneda's new recording in Azurlane and I think she can take her time getting back to full strength, lol. That said, shutting down Greemas might also have to do with the timing of her return. The announcement is too close to all the Taneda stuff that is now appearing.

To put it into perspective, TD numbers are better than Greemas pretty much completely. It's more than 20 times the active player base right now. There are plenty of other problems/issues with Theater Days, but that's something I think besides the point. Bandai Namco has planned this pretty early on and I'm sure over time conditions have changed and that affected the decisions.

FenixFiesta wrote:

Oddly enough music is not the problem, as Bandai Namco owns the rights to the music in this regard worldwide.

The issue is Bandai Namco as a company....
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:17 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Y'know they should've tried to do a region free release of Idolm@ster. The love for this game has it's own cult following. Actually I wouldn't mind getting ti for our collection, but then I wonder if the kiddies here could...ahem...handle it like adults.

I'm referring to the dating sim element. And there were some weird stuff. But what can you expect. Only in Japan is such allowed. As one gamer demonstrated. But music issue would probably be an issue due to I guess licensing? Localization. They could keep it as is with a sub option. But I think during that time no one was doing that until now.
Nate148

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
there was that one western ios Idolm@ster game
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2