• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Licensing Confusion

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaarthurnaxFeim

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Hello anyone and everyone,
I have a very specific title that I'm having trouble deciding if it's licensed or not. So, let me start from the beginning. I don't want to bother but I didn't know where else to turn.
SO I am on the hunt for XXXHOLiC and it's sequel, which I have found but here is where I'm getting confused. I had stumbled across the unlicensed anime list here on ANN, which made me want to join because I had no idea about this place, and I had found the entire series on Archive.org. On Archive it states that it is not under copyright and I'm free to do what i want with it, however, on Wiki, it says that it is licensed by Funimation AND just to be sure i uploaded one episode on Youtube and i received an email saying it was a copyright claim. I'm being pulled in both directions about this because I got my sources from ANN and Archive stating the series was unlicensed/ Not copyrighted while Wiki and Youtube say otherwise. Does anyone know something I don't know?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I think the confusion is coming in over the fact that some of the XXXHolic franchise is licensed and some of it is not. Funimation has the license for the first series and the movie (this is noted in ANN's Encyclopedia, by the way) whereas the sequel series and three of the OAVs are not licensed in North America.
PaarthurnaxFeim

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm very very grateful you answered my question. I've literally searched up and down everywhere trying to get a clear answer. Very Happy Very Happy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:51 am Reply with quote
Glad to be of service! You'll get my bill in the mail. Wink
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:46 am Reply with quote
@PaarthurnaxFeim

You should realize that just because something isn't licensed in the US doesn't mean it isn't under copyright. The US recognizes Japanese copyright law. Xxxholic is undoubtedly still under copyright and I don't think there is any anime you would be interested in that isn't. Now it is possible that the Japanese rights holder may not notice a YouTube posting and complain but that is different than not being under copyright.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:16 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Now it is possible that the Japanese rights holder may not notice a YouTube posting and complain but that is different than not being under copyright.

Or they might notice a posting and not complain. Fansubs for unlicensed series like REC, Bartender, and Shion no Ou have been available on YouTube for years. I'm guessing they continue to exist there because their production committees choose not to make a point of taking them down. Then we have shows where the video is uncontested but the audio portions, particularly OP/ED songs, are removed. Sony and King Records are the ones that most commonly assert their rights.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1