• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sentai Filmworks' Angel Beats Release Goes Out of Print

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:50 pm Reply with quote
As much as I want it I'm broke and bills come first. But its still on Crunchyroll where it remains cause Aniplex like to cover all bases when it comes to streaming portals. xD Now if they will only put the Magi dub up on CR that would be great.

I'm just waiting for the eventual release of the Angel Beats VNs on steam if Key didn't can the project. Going to be far better than the anime anyways with multiple routse and ending and character backstories never brought up in the actual show strewn across multiple games.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I wish this one had a Premium set release. Sad
Dfens

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Angel Beats on Blu Ray has been on sale for $20.00 every year for the last 4-5 years during the Rightstuf Christmas sale, so if you haven't bought it by now you have no excuse to whine about.

That's how I got my copy, the fact that I have been so busy with work it's still sealed in the shirkwrap waiting for to get around to re-watching it some day.

I originally owned it on DVD when it first came out paid about $35.00 for it on sale with free shipping at the time, then sold it for what I paid for it so I got my money back.

The list of Aniplex titles that were going to expire has been out for awhile. If you want to own it buy it now because it's going to sky rocket on Ebay when it's sold out.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:02 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:
Sony Pictures Television = / = Sony Music Entertainment Japan/Aniplex

Important distinction. Otherwise, Bandai Entertainment could've done the same with a ton of releases that other companies released but they didn't because you still need to go through the traditional licensing process, etc.

IMO what Bandai Visual USA inc. lacked back was a positive cash flow, rest in pieces; meanwhile Funimation has the money and with the is now inside the corporation. Also, now there will be a tug of war of who eats who, since Aniplex and Funimation have a duplicity of functions in the USA, like in highlander, eventually "There can only be one", it happens after any merger.

Not really, yeah Funimation is now Sony Pictures Television, but all the Sony Products are managed independently, Sony Music Artists, Sony Music Entertainment, Aniplex, A1, among hundreds more.

It's like in car industry Fiat owns a lot of brands: Chrysler, Dodge, Ferrari, Jeep, etc. They are all managed independently although they are under the same conglomerate.
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm wanting this, but they don't ship outside the US. What sad excuse do they have for that?
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:12 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
IMO what Bandai Visual USA inc. lacked back was a positive cash flow, rest in pieces;

Wrong Bandai, BVUSA was the one who was charging the same prices Aniplex does now but for titles very few cared about.

One of the few checking in. I miss them.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:10 am Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:
As much as I want it I'm broke and bills come first. But its still on Crunchyroll where it remains cause Aniplex like to cover all bases when it comes to streaming portals. xD Now if they will only put the Magi dub up on CR that would be great.

I'm just waiting for the eventual release of the Angel Beats VNs on steam if Key didn't can the project. Going to be far better than the anime anyways with multiple routse and ending and character backstories never brought up in the actual show strewn across multiple games.
If you can scrounge up $18.40 (plus shipping I assume) I think it will be very much worth it because the home video release has the epilogue episode.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:27 am Reply with quote
It’s possible that Aniplex USA will eventually do a release of their own and include the OVAs that are not on the Sentai release — Sentai’s has “Stairway to Heaven”, but not “Another Epilogue” or “Hell’s Kitchen”. But given that Sentai has flooded the market with an inexpensive release for years, and are going out with a bang with this sale, it’s also possible that Aniplex will decide that not enough people would be willing to double-dip, especially at crazy Aniplex prices (“sure, it’s $150, but it has postcards!”).

Quote:

Yeah, but we haven’t heard a peep about the English version of that since Key said last year they were working on it (which wasn’t a formal announcement, but just an answer to a Q&A at ACen 2016), nor is there any indication whether “2nd Beat” (with routes beyond the first game’s Yui, Iwasawa, and Matsushita) is happening.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:24 am Reply with quote
I love their emotion behind this; Funimation's responses to Aniplex's license shenanigans range from general embarrassment to announcements after the fact to completely using this to their advantage; When their FMA ran out, they sold the first collector's edition and when that ran out, they sold the Premium Collector's Edition.

No, Sentai's response is more that of a fan. While they're not giving them away exactly, they're also not hoarding copies and raising the price to full MSRP like I've seen Amazon do. I wonder if they're trying to flood the market like a final "*thank* you" to a company that will bury any title that isn't Double A Premium.

Hey, remember Nerima Daikon Brothers? If you do, it's no thanks to AoA, that's for sure...
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:47 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Hey, remember Nerima Daikon Brothers? If you do, it's no thanks to AoA, that's for sure...

Hey, at least that got two releases, from ADV and Funimation. Think about Aniplex-controlled titles like Mekakucity Actors that have never gotten a physical release in English.
russ869

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:12 am Reply with quote
As crazy as this sounds, I would be willing to pay Aniplex prices to buy this show again if they redubbed it with a "Charlotte-quality" dub. The current Angel Beats dub is pretty disappointing...
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
I wish this one had a Premium set release. Sad

Don't worry, Aniplex will have you covered. But for a price lol.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Just secured my copy. I read the article this morning but didn't read the comments about the code for discount. Ended up see the discount code through a Facebook post that was shared by Visual Arts or Sekai Project (can't remember which one shared it).

I'm excited because the wife hasn't seen it yet and she liked Charlotte. Angel Beats is good, except the ending... Laughing
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I probably wouldn't even like the show all that much, since it's far from my genre wheelhouse, but whenever I see news like this I seriously have to fight against the "Buy it now!!!" impulse.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering when Sentai was going to announce this, I bought it awhile back when I knew it was going out of print, it expired, back in August!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2