• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2017 Manga Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:03 pm Reply with quote
BluePikmin11 wrote:
You guys should talk about Astra Lost in Space as well.

This is in tomorrow's update!
NonsenseUser

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm still so happy this is a thing! My thoughts on the premiere's I've actually read:

Imperfect Girl - If you can get past the idea that the narrator can easily escape at any time, which I was easily able to look past it myself, this is a great start to a thriller by my favorite author. NISIOISIN has yet to put something out that I haven't enjoyed and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

The Promised Neverland - Oh the hype on this one is real. I remember seeing some artwork for this one and being intrigued. I went into the first chapter completely blind and was blown away and it hasn't let up since. I'm looking forward to revisiting the first volume when it comes out next month.

Spirit Circle - Loved the author's previous work, Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer, and I remember checking Spirit Circle out a couple years ago actually. For whatever reason, I didn't get into it but I still decided to buy the first volume when I saw it a couple weeks ago. Not sure why, but I absolutely loved it this time around. I'm actually very happy to see Crunchyroll has this one, cause I was already dreading the wait in between volumes, so I'll probably finish it off there.

Sadly, that's all the premiere's I've read myself so far, but reading these reviews, I'm thinking about picking up To Your Eternity and maybe Children of the Whales as well
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
How the HELL did i now know Spirit Circle was TL'd?????? That crap gave me a slap in the face a few years ago. Thought i was getting some light hearted stuff and ended up with THAT.

Can't remember enough to rate it accurately, but it's really good.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:10 am Reply with quote
I finished reading In This Corner of the World a week ago and reviewed it and I really loved it made me want to be a better person. It will probably end up on my best of the year list but where exactly I'm still undecided.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:42 am Reply with quote
Interesting reviews for Forbidden Scrollery. I've always wondered how people would react without already being familiar with the franchise, so now I can at least point to this. I did expect people to find it confusing and directionless, but I can't say I've considered the way every story ends in an anticlimax before. I guess it's just a basic assumption of Touhou that Reimu will beat up the bad guy in the end, so it doesn't really feel the need to dwell on it.
vahid33

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:54 am Reply with quote
battle angel alita is the best Science fiction manga .the art and story is perfect.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:41 am Reply with quote
I'm disappointed the reviews for Splatoon aren't very good. It may be aimed at kids, but so is the game, and it's plenty of fun for all ages!

The game itself also has more clever humor than yelling and nudity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Calico

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:21 am Reply with quote
Astra Lost in Space is a series that starts off decent and slowly becomes one of the best shonen manga out there. Viz has actually been putting out free chapters of the series, which can be read here(and maybe this should be included on the series' page?). It's worth noting that I've gotten several people to read the series, and they all said that they thought it was pretty standard at first, but they thought it was amazing by the time they caught up to the current chapters. Personally, I think the series really begins to shift into gear with the third volume. I recommend everyone to try it and stick with it, because it will definitely exceed your expectations.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:21 am Reply with quote
The Promised Neverland is amazing, but it does just wander around in circles for a while at around the point where it's clear the series will keep going. It feels like the authors wrote it expecting to quickly get canceled but was then thrown for a loop when it wound up actually being popular and wasn't sure what to do for a while.

Nevertheless, I am certain this will be the next Weekly Shonen Jump manga to get an anime adaptation, and I am so looking forward to that. This has the potential to be the next Death Note if executed right.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:40 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
I'm disappointed the reviews for Splatoon aren't very good. It may be aimed at kids, but so is the game, and it's plenty of fun for all ages!

The game itself also has more clever humor than yelling and nudity.

It's also utterly bizarre the manga is focusing on the male Inklings where the female Inklings or even the Squid Sisters are the poster-child of the entire franchise.
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:15 pm Reply with quote
The editor of Astra Lost in Space is always shamelessly plugging it, talks it up like it is the best thing ever but it seems like you guys weren't big fans of it. I guess one should really take the recommendation of people working on something with a grain of salt, it isn't like they are allowed to say anything negative about it.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
It's also utterly bizarre the manga is focusing on the male Inklings where the female Inklings or even the Squid Sisters are the poster-child of the entire franchise.

If I recall correctly, the manga got started in production before Splatoon 1 even came out. Though the Inkling Girl is featured prominently on the packaging and the marketing, the Squid Sisters were not and became popular through people playing the game.
Calico

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Sir Daniel Fortesque wrote:
The editor of Astra Lost in Space is always shamelessly plugging it, talks it up like it is the best thing ever but it seems like you guys weren't big fans of it. I guess one should really take the recommendation of people working on something with a grain of salt, it isn't like they are allowed to say anything negative about it.

It really is terrific, though. The editor is right. I talked about it in a previous post. It starts off kind of slow but really gains momentum. (And besides, editors are perfectly capable of not talking about something on social media if they don't like it).
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote
Yea these reviewers are definitely selling Astra short. It's pretty damn great.
Gwydion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, while I can understand the lower scores for the first volume of Astra, it really is one of those series that "gets better". I enjoyed it enough at first, already being a fan of Sket Dance and it's art and humor, but thankfully Astra's plot and character development really got going after not too long (another poster mentioned around book 3, which sounds about right). It's become one of my favorite currently running manga (along with The Promised Neverland), and I'm glad it's getting a physical release! I love that I've been able to read it for free online, but owning the books is way more satisfying.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4