• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HIDIVE Streams Classic Mecha Anime Space Runaway Ideon

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:40 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
If I'm going to pay for Ideon, I want it on discs, not some terrible stream from a service almost nobody uses.

I've always found it incredibly weird that HiDive and its spiritual predecessor TheAnimeNetwork never eclipsed Crunchyroll in popularity. Virtually every dub that Sentai has produced is on HiDive, so if you prefer dubs to subs (I don't) then it seems like a much, much better value.

Maybe "dub only" fans tend to gravitate more towards Funimation shows than Sentai shows, but you would think that the sheer size of the site's back catalogue would outweigh the dearth of simulcast content. At the very least, it certainly never felt like the kind of catalogue that would require the addition of Legend of Galactic Heroes or Ideon in order to attract subscribers.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:35 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I've always found it incredibly weird that HiDive and its spiritual predecessor TheAnimeNetwork never eclipsed Crunchyroll in popularity. Virtually every dub that Sentai has produced is on HiDive, so if you prefer dubs to subs (I don't) then it seems like a much, much better value.
The HIDIVE website feels cheap and they have a poor selection of titles compared to other streaming services.

Maybe "dub only" fans tend to gravitate more towards Funimation shows than Sentai shows, but you would think that the sheer size of the site's back catalogue would outweigh the dearth of simulcast content.
Their selection of dubs might be enough but if I looked at the HIDIVE website and looked at the Funimation website I would sign up for Funimation. In my opinion HIDIVE needs to improve their website and they might consider giving up on simulcasts since a lot of people are going to check out the simulcasts page first and for those people who live in the United States that really does make make their service look worse than it really is. Their insistence on promoting HIDIVE as a simulcast service in the United States is horribly misguided.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:01 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Made it three episodes before I couldn't stand the MC anymore. I so wanted to punch him in his face.

People don't seem to understand that there is no real main character in Ideon. While the events are from Cosmo's perspective, both sides of the war are equally shitty. This point is brought home by the last episode and Be Invoked.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:08 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
If I'm going to pay for Ideon, I want it on discs, not some terrible stream from a service almost nobody uses.

Maybe "dub only" fans tend to gravitate more towards Funimation shows than Sentai shows, but you would think that the sheer size of the site's back catalogue would outweigh the dearth of simulcast content. At the very least, it certainly never felt like the kind of catalogue that would require the addition of Legend of Galactic Heroes or Ideon in order to attract subscribers.
I got a free trail, and then paid for 1 month as I ran out of time, so I could watch Princess Principal and Made in Abyss, and while there are others shows on there I would like to watch, including some Sentai and ADV dubs. With no streaming apps for any devices, Apple TV, firestick etc. It just wasn't worth it, as I do not usually watch stuff on my laptop, mostly sticking to apps or torrenting.

It would of even ideal as well, since a lot of the shows I want to re-watch, or didn't see when they first came out, are usually brought by Sentai.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:18 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Made it three episodes before I couldn't stand the MC anymore. I so wanted to punch him in his face.

People don't seem to understand that there is no real main character in Ideon. While the events are from Cosmo's perspective, both sides of the war are equally shitty. This point is brought home by the last episode and Be Invoked.

spoiler["At that very moment, the Ide was invoked."]

So good.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:37 am Reply with quote

I've always found it incredibly weird that HiDive and its spiritual predecessor TheAnimeNetwork never eclipsed Crunchyroll in popularity.

There's a reason why the Funimation channel died but AnimeNetwork On Demand is still plugging away. But that's not quite what you mean...

The reason why their first internet service crapped out was because of Crunchyroll's "If you stream here, we get it for four weeks first!" rule. And if they didn't let CR have their stuff, it'd just be another reason for people to complain... not that people, anime fans in particular, need reasons.

"For four dollars a month, I get access to all of Sentai's dubs and older subs. But I'm not going to pay that much for one show!"

What's the phrase, there's no pleasing some people?
Fabe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:00 am Reply with quote
Is this the one where

spoiler[ All the main characters die in a firefight against the enemy including a child who take a shot right to the head?]
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Fabe wrote:
Is this the one where

spoiler[ All the main characters die in a firefight against the enemy including a child who take a shot right to the head?]

Big ending spoiler - more a spoiler[ All the human characters and an entire civilization get destroyed. The show is a tragedy in the formal sense, in my opinion.] YMMV

The second movie's ending may imply that it is spoiler[ not quite that grim,] major spoiler[ because the very ending has an afterlife where everyone floats around happily. ]

I heard about this on an AWO podcast that went into a lot more detail, so you can get that there if you want. I listened to that, and watched the first few eps, and then wimped out and watched the movie, and decided this is not my thing, folks, so I dropped it.

I think it is a superior 80's show. But your mileage may very depending on how people feel about the above.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Fabe wrote:
Is this the one where

That was from the movie, "Be Invoked". But yeah, same franchise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2