• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Inside Kyoto Animation's Biggest Festival

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronie Peter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:38 pm Reply with quote
For me they have a cohesive style of animation, otherwise it would not be said "although it is difficult to tell the difference between the designs of one key animator to the other"; so I got the Kyoani, its artists are treiandos to have a cohesion in the time to do the animation, ie: are tuned as in an orchestra.

Individual style it seems is something well restricted to the directors. Although I will not generalize, I believe that they [key animators] have this individualism, but that for a specific project this is not possible. Do not say that this is bad, because the result is great. But that is strange in a way; ah! That is! In the end, they sacrifice individualism for cohesion. Again I will repeat: this is not wrong, because the result is great .... but it is strange. Finally, I say that I am an admirer of Kyoani. But I'm not an unconditional studio fan. For me it's a model studio, no doubt!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for this write-up. I like that the event isn't just celebrating the anime that KyoAni has produced but also the individuals involved in making it. Letting fans see the 'Studio Zone' or getting to meet with creators of the shows they love is wonderful. Being able to see all the production art and each stage of the animation process is super cool as well.

It always bothers me at conventions on how popular voice actors are, even moreso than the creators themselves. A few years ago at ACen for instance, they brought in Akitaro Daichi, a very accomplished director of popular shoujo works like Fruits Basket and Kodocha as well as the creator of Now and Then, Here and There. I pretty much went to ACen to see just him. Yet at his Q&A panel I think there were 20-25 people there, a room meant for at least 200. Which is a shame because he was just so incredibly happy to see fans and talk to them. Heck, he just randomly started talking about a sword he bought in the dealer room and went into displaying proper sword techniques right in the middle of the audience.

Luckily, someone was nice enough to put it up on Youtube so please check it out and see how charismatic these guests can be and please support them by going to their panels at conventions. Don't let these amazing guests be in a room with tons of empty chairs Sad

Thankfully, otaku in Japan seem to realize how crucial the creators are in the process, and having a festival to celebrate the studio itself is awesome, but it'd be nice to see them getting international support at conventions as well.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I sure would love to attend this. PA Works's booth/exhibit at Otakon in 2016 was pretty great, and had some of this stuff, but it certainly wasn't as comprehensive as the KyoAni/Do event.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1