• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Nostalgic OVAs That Are Out of Print

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:30 am Reply with quote
That poll is not a complete list.

I was just thinking about what a great song "Burny!!" is - I literally just opened my computer to go make a post about why it's so great, probably second only to ACCA out of this year's openings - and then I see this poll, where you pretend it doesn't exist.

I don't know if you left out my favorite show of the season because it has four openings, or because no one you know is watching it, but either way, that doesn't make it a fair poll.

Well, you have your version of things, I have the fact that it was in the Oricon top 5.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:40 am Reply with quote
How about the classic OOP OVA Bastard!! as another one. It falls into the category of "helps if you've read the still confusing manga," but it's pretty legendarily famous in Japan and out of print here, with the last release 15 years ago.

One Nostalgic OVA that never was even licensed was Bakuen Campus Guardress aka Combustible Campus Guardress. Kind of amazing as it was actually done by Production I.G. but never made it over. The rumor was that plenty of licensing companies inquired, but the Japanese rights holder didn't want to license it (whether at any price, or just asking an absurd price, I don't know.). There were even some claims that it
michizure

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
Akcoll99 wrote:
I'll also echo the request for Video Girl Ai. I haven't seen it in years and I've had the urge to re-watch it lately but not at the second-hand prices I've seen it going for.

I love Video Girl Ai -- the anime Cyrano de Bergerac -- but there's just something wrong with watching it on DVD. You lose a whole level of recursion.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
One Nostalgic OVA that never was even licensed was Bakuen Campus Guardress aka Combustible Campus Guardress. Kind of amazing as it was actually done by Production I.G. but never made it over. The rumor was that plenty of licensing companies inquired, but the Japanese rights holder didn't want to license it (whether at any price, or just asking an absurd price, I don't know.). There were even some claims that it
I wish it would at least get a Blu-Ray release in Japan, I can only find VHS uploads. They've released obscure stuff before over there, so I don't see why this can't get a release.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:38 pm Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:
No one would have brought this up but I bet there must be some classic hentai titles in OVA form. Would anyone care to give me any examples?

Cream Lemon was partially brought over to the US on VHS by a distributor known as Excalibur Films, under the titles "Offenders of the Universe" and "Brothers Grime Adult Cartoon". These tapes are now seemingly impossible to find.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
michizure wrote:
Akcoll99 wrote:
I'll also echo the request for Video Girl Ai. I haven't seen it in years and I've had the urge to re-watch it lately but not at the second-hand prices I've seen it going for.

I love Video Girl Ai -- the anime Cyrano de Bergerac -- but there's just something wrong with watching it on DVD. You lose a whole level of recursion.

You're right, there's something about watching it on VHS fansub that brings back those days of discovering it on club tapes--
The hero's one of the few closet/harem protagonists who's smart and a nice guy, and it's one of the few times Megumi Hayashibara could make her cute-'n-screechy Ranma/Lina voice into a real and sensitive character.

I remember when it came out, we had one purist on another old-school forum who would go into frothing rages that Trish Ledoux had mistranslated the girlfriend's reasons for liking another boy, and, quote, "destroyed" the whole series--Today, I can't even remember what his complaint was.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:34 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:

I was just thinking about what a great song "Burny!!" is - I literally just opened my computer to go make a post about why it's so great, probably second only to ACCA out of this year's openings - and then I see this poll, where you pretend it doesn't exist.

I don't know if you left out my favorite show of the season because it has four openings, or because no one you know is watching it, but either way, that doesn't make it a fair poll.

Well, you have your version of things, I have the fact that it was in the Oricon top 5.

"Burny!!" is listed as an ENDING theme in the encyclopedia. If it's an OPENING theme, I'll gladly add it. Thanks for the tone though, super helpful.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Some years ago,I heard about a forgotten anime Western called "Early Reins." It's about a group of women who try to stop a train robbery. I just thought I'd throw that one in there. Many of the shows mentioned on this list would be great for stuff like "Anime America" or "Anime Abandon." What do you guys think?

Oh man I remember watching Early Reins, a lot of bad train CGI animation and surprisingly bloody gun violence for a cute girl western anime.
Melchiorgk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I fondly remember the ol' Comedy Triple Feature from my college Anime club. Shinesmen (dub), Dragon Half, and then Elf Princess Rane (make certain subs are on if using DVD).
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:14 pm Reply with quote
No Gunbuster? Did it get picked up again?? I haven’t been paying attention.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate wrote:
No Gunbuster? Did it get picked up again?? I haven’t been paying attention.

The movie version was licensed on Blu-ray. And I guess if you've got money burning a hole in your pocket you can still buy the Japanese Blu-ray of the OVA series that doesn't even have English subtitles.
drifty1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:34 pm Reply with quote
The survey this week needs an "I just skip them all" option...
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:35 pm Reply with quote
There are so many obscure 80's and 90's OVAs which aren't even licensed in the US. It's good thing that I still have Anime LD Catalog: Complete data listing from 1981 to 1997 (アニメ LD 大全集) which helps me which OVA are still not available in digital format.

Too bad that lot of these OVA won't get remaster since most of them are nostalgic to old timers or hardcore fans.
drifty1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:36 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:

...except that this poll is for the fall, only.
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I owned nearly all the titles on the list on VHS (mainly imports). Debutante Detective Corps holds the distinction as IMO the biggest waste of time and money I've ever spent on anime - 30-minute imported VHS costing IIRC AU$80 (which isn't anywhere close to others in absolute terms). It didn't even come close to "so bad it was good" - it was just plain bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6