• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shin Godzilla Film's 1st TV Airing Has 15.2% Ratings Average

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:15 am Reply with quote
I wonder if it'll ever get shown on American TV? I mean I'd laugh if it doesn't end up on SYFY like previous Godzilla movies did.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:28 am Reply with quote
...so does that mean that 15.2% of all households in Japan with a TV watched it? I've never understood what that TV rating percentage is supposed to represent.
Ushio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:50 am Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
...so does that mean that 15.2% of all households in Japan with a TV watched it? I've never understood what that TV rating percentage is supposed to represent.

The 15.2% is the percentage of TV's turned on at that time where watching Godzilla.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:46 am Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
I wonder if it'll ever get shown on American TV? I mean I'd laugh if it doesn't end up on SYFY like previous Godzilla movies did.

Now that Funimation is part of Sony Pictures, it's likelier. One of the reasons it's not impossible to find Godzilla flicks on TV is because Sony would offer them in their movie syndication packages.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:37 am Reply with quote
Of course, all those percentages are those that had their TVs on during the time said movie or episode was on. Still, is that a good figure for Japanese TV?
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:20 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Of course, all those percentages are those that had their TVs on during the time said movie or episode was on. Still, is that a good figure for Japanese TV?

That's incredibly good. Even the most popular shows struggle to get more than 6%, let alone anything that high. To put it on perspective, I don't think One Piece, as popular as it is, has ever cracked 10%.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
Razor/Edge wrote:

The 15.2% is the percentage of TV's turned on at that time where watching Godzilla.

There are two commonly-used figures in television audience measurement: ratings and shares. The "rating" is the percent of all households with a television that watched a particular program. As the article says, this rating applies to Kantou, so it means that 15.2% of households with a television in Kantou had their sets tuned to Shin Godzilla.

The "percentage of TV's turned on at that time" is called a "share." If 45% of Kantou households had a least one active TV at the time the movie aired, Shin Godzilla's share would be about 33% (15/45).

That 15% would be pretty remarkable by contemporary American standards. Last night's Sunday Night Football game earned only an 11% rating, though admittedly the number of channels available to US viewers is likely quite a bit larger than the number available to Japanese households.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to SG on that 15.2 rating. I enjoyed the film as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1