• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Is Christianity Regarded In Japan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:02 pm Reply with quote
FloozyGod wrote:
Christianity has been the punching bag of American citizens for years.

Christians like to act like they're an oppressed minority, and in certain parts of the world and certain points in history it is the case, but mostly it isn't. Especially in America. There's no scandal at the thought that the President might be a Christian, or talk of Christian bans because a Christian performed a terrorist act, or hatred of Christians in the banking system, etc. Christians are more likely to cop hatred about their faith from other sects of Christianity than they are other religions or atheists.
FloozyGod

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:

Christians like to act like they're an oppressed minority.

In this day and age, EVERYONE acts like they're an oppressed minority. Sorry if I was vague, but I was specifically talking about Christianity in popular media, in which case my point still stands. Then again, as a University student in the US, I can say that young people like to complain about how Christianity is "oppressing" them.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:31 pm Reply with quote
FloozyGod wrote:
I was specifically talking about Christianity in popular media, in which case my point still stands.

It might get the most flak in films and television, but it certainly gets the most positive representation. Most of the time, if the good guy's religious, he's Christian. If a real-world religion is treating as being actual truth, it's Christianity, even if some of the details are played with. "The Christian god is real, but he's an alcoholic arsehole" in a movie, for example, annoys Christians for the alcoholic arsehole part, but to everyone else it's still "oh great, once again it's that god that they're saying is real."

FloozyGod wrote:
Then again, as a University student in the US, I can say that young people like to complain about how Christianity is "oppressing" them.

In certain specific ways, they do have a point. In the US and other countries that allegedly have freedom of religion, there are laws on the books to enforce things Christians believe. Less so now than in the past, but still so.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Takashi Yanase, the creator of Anpanman, was a Christian during his lifetime. According to this blog post (https://hongkongrhythm.wordpress.com/2014/04/16/114/), Anpanman is an allegory of Jesus!
Niomo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:40 am Reply with quote
I finding the use of the word “worm” to be very rude in this type of article (Lots of aspects of Christianity have wormed their way into Japanese culture, particularly in the years since the American occupation.) It makes it seem like Christianity is a negative thing. You may not be religious (or are another kind of religion), but I feel that “have influenced Japanese culture” is better in this kind of article.
garlogan78

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:27 am Reply with quote
I have been approached three or four times while in Japan by Japanese people asking me if I want to attend their church with them/go see it. (By approached, I mean like they literally come talk to me while I am waiting for a train or walking home or at a crosswalk, lol). I am always like...no....lol. But I think that they probably just assume a white person = American and American might = Christian.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:10 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
FloozyGod wrote:

Are you joking? The Handmaid's Tale is entirely about shitting on Christianity. Christianity has been the punching bag of American citizens for years.

Handmaid's Tale is attacking a certain flavor of Christianity, not Christianity itself. Not to mention, Margaret Atwood is Canadian.

It’s more attacking religious fundamentalism, and the fact that combining religion and government often leads to an erosion of civil liberties. In Handmaid’s Tale, the dominant religion is Christianity simply because it’s the dominant religion in the US, which is where the story takes place (albeit a distopian future “America”.). The same story could just as easily be told with any religion, especially the Abrahamic ones. It just wouldn’t make much sense with Islam or Judaism in this case.

When taken to extreme lengths of Biblical purity, the Abrahamic religions are all very similar. They are after all based one upon the other. The big differences lie in the fact that fundamental Christian and Jewish sects have largely been prevented from controlling secular western governments, unlike how fundamental Islamic sects have taken control of many governments in the Middle East and Africa.

The basic warning of a Handmaid’s Tale is “don’t think what happens in fundamentalist regimes can never happen here.” The religion at the center of the story is largely irrelevant.
The religion was never the problem. It was the puritanical extremes it was taken to.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:15 am Reply with quote
The book is a bit more explicit about it from what I remember, namely that the leaders were...selective about what passages to interpret. That said, the show having Catholic priests being hung and executed in the pilot with rabbis has a similar message.

There’s an easy joke here for the Americans in the audience but I’ll refrain.
loka

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:35 am Reply with quote
Niomo wrote:
I finding the use of the word “worm” to be very rude in this type of article (Lots of aspects of Christianity have wormed their way into Japanese culture, particularly in the years since the American occupation.) It makes it seem like Christianity is a negative thing. You may not be religious (or are another kind of religion), but I feel that “have influenced Japanese culture” is better in this kind of article.

When the religion sends and establishes 'missions', and actively proselytizes, wormed is apt.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:00 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
FloozyGod wrote:
Are you joking? The Handmaid's Tale is entirely about shitting on Christianity. Christianity has been the punching bag of American citizens for years.

I agree. Making fun or mocking Christianity is pretty common these days Perhaps a few decades ago it was taboo, but these days the only religion you're not allowed to mock is Islam/Muslims. Christianity is fair game to berate and disrespect in American media and culture.

The Handmaid's Tale is based on the idea of an extremist Christian cult-like sect taking over part of the United States in a Dystopian future. I don't see it as "shitting on" mainstream Christianity any more than the depiction of Islamic terrorists in fiction (and there are plenty) are commenting on mainstream Islam. Every religion has extremist groups, and the US is no stranger to real-life extremist Christian groups. Now, if you want to argue that the HBO series Big Love was shitting on mainstream Mormons by depicting a family of secret bigamists and implying that having multiple wives was more mainstream than it actually is, that I could see...but I digress.

EDIT:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
FloozyGod wrote:

Handmaid's Tale is attacking a certain flavor of Christianity, not Christianity itself. Not to mention, Margaret Atwood is Canadian.

It’s more attacking religious fundamentalism, and the fact that combining religion and government often leads to an erosion of civil liberties. In Handmaid’s Tale, the dominant religion is Christianity simply because it’s the dominant religion in the US, which is where the story takes place (albeit a distopian future “America”.). The same story could just as easily be told with any religion, especially the Abrahamic ones. It just wouldn’t make much sense with Islam or Judaism in this case.

When taken to extreme lengths of Biblical purity, the Abrahamic religions are all very similar. They are after all based one upon the other. The big differences lie in the fact that fundamental Christian and Jewish sects have largely been prevented from controlling secular western governments, unlike how fundamental Islamic sects have taken control of many governments in the Middle East and Africa.

The basic warning of a Handmaid’s Tale is “don’t think what happens in fundamentalist regimes can never happen here.” The religion at the center of the story is largely irrelevant.
The religion was never the problem. It was the puritanical extremes it was taken to.

I don't know how I missed your post before I wrote mine, dragonrider_cody but you did a better job of explaining it than I did! It's not about any mainstream religion, it's about fundalmentalist extremists.
Simplo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:53 am Reply with quote
Niomo wrote:
I finding the use of the word “worm” to be very rude in this type of article (Lots of aspects of Christianity have wormed their way into Japanese culture

''worm'' verb secondary definition is ''to insinuate one's way into''. No negative implications. If you ascribe a negative connotation to the verb ''worm into'' its your personal issue, its not in the dictionary.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Uh... "insinuate" itself has negative connotations. "Wormed" does indeed have negative connotations. Whether those connotations were intended is a different matter. Personally, I don't think the author consciously was attempting to be negative when selecting that word.

As for Christianity in Japan... I sorta liked how it was handled in Samurai Champloo and implied in Haibane Renmai. Generally, though, it's pretty clear that most anime writers/directors have very little understanding of Christianity. It's foreign and mysterious to them, so they like using it to convey certain things. But they almost never use it in any serious manner. That's why I can chuckle when I watch something like High School DxD and find out certain things about the backstory. I don't even mind much that they have zero conception of what Christmas is about, since here in the West we no longer seem to care about it, either (X-mas vs. Christmas). But apparently Christmas is about Colonel Sanders and romance in Japan.

Oh, and then there's the Nuns are actually like Mikos. Can't forget that. Though Black Clover has a nun that apparently does nun-type things. Why the world of Black Clover has a church that operates like a Christian church, I don't know.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Christians like to act like they're an oppressed minority, and in certain parts of the world and certain points in history it is the case, but mostly it isn't. Especially in America. There's no scandal at the thought that the President might be a Christian, or talk of Christian bans because a Christian performed a terrorist act, or hatred of Christians in the banking system, etc. Christians are more likely to cop hatred about their faith from other sects of Christianity than they are other religions or atheists.

You must not talk to a lot of athiests then. Whenever a church gets shot up, lots of people gleefully dance in celebration, if they weren't the ones doing it in the first place. Churchs are the targets for a lot of attacks.

While it's trendy to bash Christianity, stuff aimed at kids seem to have mixed standards. Lots of English anime and manga releases were altered to remove Christian symboles, like characters being crucified, crosses, or nuns. The recent Digimon game has Sistermon removed from the US version because she is based on a nun, meanwhile other games can have you literally fight God as the main villain. For whatever reason, kids media is more sensitive to portrayals of religion, even if its not negative. Although I do remember shows back in the day like Rugrats having Hanukkah specials. But I guess that was a different time. Even Christmas is controversal in America these days

-Stuart Smith
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Christians like to act like they're an oppressed minority, and in certain parts of the world and certain points in history it is the case, but mostly it isn't. Especially in America.
Culturally we have reached a point in the United States where anti-Christian sentiment is common in academia, entertainment, and news.

Agent355 wrote:
The Handmaid's Tale is based on the idea of an extremist Christian cult-like sect taking over part of the United States in a Dystopian future.
If someone wants to have a religious government in a story why not use one of them that actually exist instead of making up a fictional Christian government? The anti-Christian sentiment has existed for decades in Hollywood but recently anti-Christian movies and TV shows have become routine.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Uh... "insinuate" itself has negative connotations. "Wormed" does indeed have negative connotations. Whether those connotations were intended is a different matter. Personally, I don't think the author consciously was attempting to be negative when selecting that word.
If someone says that "X have wormed their way into the city council" and replace X with the name of a religious group than most of the time it is not considered a compliment.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
The Handmaid's Tale is based on the idea of an extremist Christian cult-like sect taking over part of the United States in a Dystopian future.
If someone wants to have a religious government in a story why not use one of them that actually exist instead of making up a fictional Christian government?

Because it is a warning that such a thing can happen in the near future in any christian country. Nowadays there is this sense of superiority "We christians do not breed terrorists, Islam is at fault" when the simple truth is that it is not the specific religion, but the lack of separation of church and state at blame
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6