• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Glitter Force Doki Doki Season 2 Debuts on Netflix

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCTakato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:03 pm Reply with quote
So now that Saban finished dubbing Doki Doki and the rights have reverted back to Toei, what's going to happen to the rest of the franchise after this? Will Toei find another company to dub future seasons? Will they continue to use Netflix for future seasons of Glitter Force or would they finally release more subtitled episodes of Pretty Cure on Crunchyroll? How successful has the Glitter Force dub been and are there going to be any plans for home video releases or American made merchandise?
LaytonPuzzle27

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:31 pm Reply with quote
As much as I did not like the Saban's dubs of Smile and DokiDoki there are those who enjoy those dubs. The good thing that came out of this is for those who enjoyed the dubs they became fans of the PreCure series of because of there interest in Glitter Force. Even one user said this from Pretty Cure Wiki site "if we don't support this then we will never get a Japanese version officially subbed or a uncut English dub." Now that Toei got the PreCure property back from Saban and more people are interested in the PreCure franchise if this leads to a proper dub versions of PreCure by either Viz Media or any honest distributor it better be worth it.

Last edited by LaytonPuzzle27 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:39 pm Reply with quote
LaytonPuzzle27 wrote:
Now that Toei got the PreCure property back from Saban and more people are interested in PreCure franchise if this leads to a proper dub versions of PreCure by either Viz Media or any honest distributor it better be worth it.

Well, that already happened back in 09.
Toei and Ocean already did a relatively uncut dub that was actually pretty great voice cast wise. While they were changes, it still retained most, if not all, of the episodes and didn't have anything cut.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:52 pm Reply with quote
the real question is why do they keep grabbing the bad seasons?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:12 pm Reply with quote
That's the tricky thing about bringing a kids show like Precure over here in the West. Will Toei try again in bringing over the franchise to the little kids, or will they just forget that and just market it towards hardcore anime fans?
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:21 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
the real question is why do they keep grabbing the bad seasons?

DokiDoki is my favorite.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
or would they finally release more subtitled episodes of Pretty Cure on Crunchyroll?

Don't hold your breath for that. Toei most likely wants a bigger-scale release for the franchise. They seemingly aren't very keen in letting their magical girl shows (or heck, a lot of their other shows in general) stream on Crunchyroll. It's most likely why Crunchyroll hasn't even touched Ojamajo Doremi yet.

Last edited by epicwizard on Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:30 pm Reply with quote
It’s a gag dub but I can’t stop watching it. I hope that now that the rights have reverted to Toei that they’ll do what they did when they brought the original Precure over and dubbed it.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
It’s a gag dub but I can’t stop watching it. I hope that now that the rights have reverted to Toei that they’ll do what they did when they brought the original Precure over and dubbed it.

You know that Toei approved of Saban's localizations of Pretty Cure. Therefore, if Toei ever decides to dub more of the successors, they're probably gonna do a heavy localization, like what Saban did, since that's working well with the kids that are watching it on Netflix. They seemingly aren't very focused on the anime fans since they're not the target audience.

Think about this very carefully: would Toei suddenly switch to producing a more faithful dub that only appeals to a few thousands anime fans that aren't even the target audience for the franchise?
LaytonPuzzle27

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:19 pm Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:

Think about this very carefully: would Toei suddenly switch to producing a more faithful dub that only appeals to a few thousands anime fans that aren't even the target audience for the franchise?

I work very well with the Sailor Moon series.

Last edited by LaytonPuzzle27 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
LaytonPuzzle27

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad that this Glitter Force nightmare is over.

Last edited by LaytonPuzzle27 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zerreth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:22 pm Reply with quote
So... they weren't okay with the "Pretty Cure" word pun and localized it but then decide to just throw it away and append the original "doki doki"??

I'm very confused. Do they want to localize it to the mainstream audience or not?
epicwizard

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:20 am Reply with quote
LaytonPuzzle27 wrote:
epicwizard wrote:

Well, that's because Sailor Moon is HUGE within the anime fandom in North America. A redub was in such popular demand for years that Viz Media believed that it was worth the trouble of getting the show out of licensing limbo and producing a redub.

Pretty Cure, while it indeed has fans, isn't all that huge within the anime fandom in North America. The fanbase just isn't huge enough to justify a faithful dub. Not to mention that the franchise is more kid-oriented than Sailor Moon. I'm not sure how sane it would be for Toei to suddenly move away from the mainstream kid audience (which could potentially make them big bucks) and focus on catering to the anime fans for future dubs of Pretty Cure. Again, anime fans aren't the target audience for Pretty Cure. It's for kids.
JennLegacy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:38 am Reply with quote
LaytonPuzzle27 wrote:
epicwizard wrote:

I think the general logic is that Toei is kind of "done" getting younger fans into Sailor Moon. It's less of a kids' property to them at this point and more of a nostalgia property, so they're going to market it as such. Obviously it's still a kids show and people will still show it to their kids, but Toei would rather get those kids to watch Precure instead.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:32 am Reply with quote
JennLegacy wrote:
I think the general logic is that Toei is kind of "done" getting younger fans into Sailor Moon. It's less of a kids' property to them at this point and more of a nostalgia property, so they're going to market it as such. Obviously it's still a kids show and people will still show it to their kids, but Toei would rather get those kids to watch Precure instead.

You hit the nail on the head.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3