• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fundraising Launched for Vital Medical Treatment for Voice Actor Chris Ayres

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteOrochi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
I'd donate in a heartbeat if I'd have the spare cash. Sad Chris' Frieza has been nothing short of amazing and I also enjoyed his Kurono from Gantz. Best wishes to Greg Ayres (his brother) and the rest of his family.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:20 am Reply with quote
I already lost an artist friend to lung trauma this morning. I don't want to lose Chris too. Give him all the donations!
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:31 am Reply with quote
OK guys, 8:30am PST $18,500 raised from 625 people, I plunked down $100. Anyone care to beat me?? I hope some already did, Fighto!!
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote
Devastatingly sad that Chris has been afflicted with this condition for some time. Sad Here's hoping he'll get the medical care he needs and make a good recovery.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I thought maybe he was having health problems since it seemed like I wasn't seeing him as an ADR director on as many recent Sentai dubs as I would have expected.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Man, I really hate being negative like this, but my mom has end stage COPD and therefore spent a lot of time looking into lung transplants and... the five year survival rate isn't very good at all. Nonetheless his doctors and him know him better than I do and I wish him nothing but the best.

I'd also like to add to everyone going on about how this is inevitable from smoking, etc - I don't know anything about his smoking habits, but he is abnormally young to have such severe COPD, even if he were an especially heavy smoker. Same age as my mom, actually. It's tragic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
One of the additional surgeries he's having is a heart bypass, I can't remember if it was double or quadruple, so it's a series of major medical events that he's suffering from. I saw Greg this past weekend at a convention and being from Texas he said the hurricane season was especially rough on Chris. He's currently living with Greg and while they weren't hit directly by the hurricane the humidity was an issue and the rain caused a black mold problem.

Looks like the fund raising will be a quick success.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm broke, but I still donated $5 if I had more money I would've gave a lot more totally.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Hot damn, the goal has been reached and surpassed already.
MadHi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:50 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Hot damn, the goal has been reached and surpassed already.

Even so, I suggest people who intended to donate continue to do so despite having reached the goal. If that $25,000 is just for his medical bills, he could use a bit more for himself since he'll very likely be unable to work for a while.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:14 pm Reply with quote
So sad he’s so sick. I saw the news on Twitter because a lot of fellow VA’s retweeted and pitched in. He has done great work for us now it’s time we help him too and let him know we care. I know all of us can’t pitch in, but even just sending our thoughts and prayers his way can brighten his day.
Sensei Terry Silver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Great to see the $ 25 K goal already surpassed only in a little more than half a day into the campaign.

Chris is one of the classic voices from the DVD glory days, sad to read how devastating of a year he had health-wise. Gave $ 20 to help, even if it's only a small bit.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:11 pm Reply with quote
My heart aches for him.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:02 pm Reply with quote
My heart breaks for this man. I have Cystic Fibrosis and am a Status 0 on the lung transplant list: I know exactly how it feels to have fragile lungs. And as a Canadian...$25 000. To have a lung transplant. Jesus, America.

Agent355 wrote:
Smoking is an addiction that in some people's experience is harder to quit than alcohol or even illegal drugs. As frustrating as it is to watch a loved one suffer from potentially self-afflicted illnesses from smoking, it helps to remember that addiction is in itself a disease, and gain some sympathy towards those who struggle with it despite knowing how bad it is for them.

My father quit cold turkey when he was 30, over 32 years ago ( Guess how old I am); It made him a bear (and my Dad has a TEMPER) for a few months but he did it. He has little respect for people who don't just quit. All it takes is willpower and real supports from people who love you, including people who need to be a drill sergeant if necessary. All perpetually holding hands does is say that trashing your body is a-okay and that regressing is an option.

CatSword wrote:
It is possible that his COPD was caused by smoking (I don't know how you would be able to know this unless you had access to his medical records); however, you really can't put the blame on the addict for their addiction.

Smoking is generally taken up for pleasure, not due to self medication, so smokers are less troubled individuals than people who just don't get it; Plus, people themselves have to take responsibility at some point.

rizuchan wrote:
Man, I really hate being negative like this, but my mom has end stage COPD and therefore spent a lot of time looking into lung transplants and... the five year survival rate isn't very good at all. Nonetheless his doctors and him know him better than I do and I wish him nothing but the best.

I'd also like to add to everyone going on about how this is inevitable from smoking, etc - I don't know anything about his smoking habits, but he is abnormally young to have such severe COPD, even if he were an especially heavy smoker. Same age as my mom, actually. It's tragic.

The 10 year average for lung transplants is 10 years longer than you would have otherwise, and medical improvements are happening all of the time. And the five year number you list is specifically for half of COPD patients, meaning that the other half DO live longer. Send my good wishes and hope to your mother.

Last edited by CandisWhite on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
asukas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:04 pm Reply with quote
This is heartbreaking... thank you for posting this, I'll be sure to share it and get the word out. Even though the goal is met, he'll have a long road to recovery and it never hurts to give gim extra help!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3