• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime Musou Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I've been playing the DW series since I believe the second or third game. I even had a few of the Empires titles.

The Gundam Series was definitely among my favorites in the franchise. Each one just got better and better as it went along. I never played Reborn before I got my PS4 though. Those games (at least the third and fourth ones) are due for an HD upgrade through the PSN.

Pirate Warriors was also pretty entertaining for me as a fairweather OP Fan. Hyrule Warriors was also fun (as well as being my first Zelda game) and I'm really enjoying how FE: Warriors blends elements of both franchises for some very fun gameplay.

Quote:
What properties do you think would work well with Musou-style gameplay?

Honestly I'm surprised that no one has thought of putting FT into this formula. The series is perfect for it. Especially the post-timeskip arcs when the guild is basically fighting one horde after another until the last chapter. Plus, isn't it about time actually get a Fairy Tail game in the states? Popular as the series is, I'm surprised their aren't more games of it.

And speaking on the series that aren't Koei-Tecmo, I would honestly say that the Senran Kagura games are pretty fun, more specifically Estival Versus. I've recently started playing it again after about a year of not finishing it, and I have to say I'm really enjoying it.
The story is good, the combat is fast-paced, the characters are all unique and fun to use in different ways, and it has all the fanservice you can handle (if you're into to that sort of thing). spoiler[Save for Minori and Haruka. They are such a chore to use in my opinion. Ayane from DoA, Homura, and Yomi are super fun though. ]
Souther

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:28 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
A bit of a shame that Koei prevented the one Casca DLC costume from getting released here but it's not too big of a deal to me considering she was the worst character gameplay-wise (especially when dealing with her stages in Endless Eclipse Mode) and I was never going to use it anyway.

I had the same thoughts, but Casca ended up being far better than I expected. Triangle dash cancel triangle repeat is stupidly good, deals strong damage and stuns easily, trivialising 1v1 boss fights (War Demons became jokes in Endless Eclipses, for example). Can also boost her speed and some other stuff that's good but the aforementioned triangle dash cancelling's what really gives her her source of power, it's really abusable. Because of that, I'd put her above a number of characters.

Wyald is a disappointment IMO. Poor combos and poor Frenzy gauge building.
xchampion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised they didn't mention Fate/Extra Extella. It's a good musou type of game not made by Omega force.
FallenDomino

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Good anime Musou: Pirate Warriors series, Gundam 3 & Reborn, Attack on Titan
Meh/give it a shot: Gundam 2, Arslan, Berserk, Ken's Rage 1
Terrible: Gundam 1
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
I'm surprised they didn't mention Fate/Extra Extella. It's a good musou type of game not made by Omega force.

Aside from the story and a few good movesets (like Lancer Cu) it's really not a good game. Base system is absolutely awful - there's no fun in the game, when all you do is run around trying to save your bases. Oh, sorry, not run - that was way too obvious for developers, I guess - you have to jump from one base to another. Enemies are really bland and stage designs are one of the worst in my recent memory. Allied AI is also bad - all your allies are stupid and do nothing. And one of the most annoying things: characters just won't shut up. Yes, I know that my base is under attack, you've told me it over 9000 times in the past two minutes already!
There's two Musou games that were released about the same time as Fate/Extella - Warriors All-Stars, which is frankly also not a good game, though it has a better gameplay than Extella and Samurai Warriors: Spirit of Sanada, which is one of the best Warriors games and definitely the best game of SW4 generation. If you wonder which game of three to pick - chose SoS.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:44 am Reply with quote
How dare she harp on Ken's Rage >:V blah blah blah burn her at the stake whatever immature sentiments blah blah

No, seriously, for a second opinion, I like Ken's Rage 1&2 because it has more of a solid feel and requires you to fight with your head than just brute forcing it. The games may feel sluggish, but if you ask me, the variety of techniques you get, the missions that are more streamlined than pure battlefield warfare mayhem, the need to train your characters, and the fact that the bulky movements give more of a strong rooted umph to it makes this fun on a bun. It may require some patience to get through the game's pacing, but this game handles like an 18 wheeler or a monster truck, and it's absolutely fun when you master the controls and gameplay. My complaint is that Dynasty/other Musou games feel wayyy too airy, and lack the technical depth that can get those games feeling repetitive.
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Try making a Mosou Game version with Madan no Ou to Vandis it has the similar feel of Arslan Senki, it is perfect with its setting and fighting waves of enemies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2