• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Nov 5-11 [2017-11-16]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:21 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Pierrot. wrote:

That makes no sense. Then Boruto should be way higher since it's way more popular and gets a lot of traffic based on reviews.

https://twitter.com/ActionZacku/status/912318136942071808

That's just based on traffic tho. It could be a lot of people giving low scores.

For those shows, not so much. I don't think anyone here contests MiA and MHA being highly regarded by both critics and users so we can set those aside. While Re:Creators did have some weaker episodes and it dropped a bit in the rankings, the response was mostly positive as well. Classroom of the Elite was rated 4 or higher in all but two episodes. Boruto is more mixed but it is generally rated just under or just over 4.

I suspect what Key said in the thread for a previous entry about the lowest ranked shows also having the least traffic generally holds to previous seasons. You rarely get that much traffic if most people don't like the show, though I do think there are some instances of higher traffic hate-watches (Hand Shakers?).
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I'm not too surprised about LotL rise up here on ANN. We've always kinda had a soft spot for the idea of gender-neutral anything which no question is the reason for the high score. I doubt the show even cracks the top 10 in popularity but its fans love it, which is what matters.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Maybe people watching Osomatsu have stopped voting? Or are falling behind on the series or something?
Still, rather strange to see such a decline. Very odd..
Niello

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:14 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
To be honest, I'm not too surprised about LotL rise up here on ANN. We've always kinda had a soft spot for the idea of gender-neutral anything which no question is the reason for the high score. I doubt the show even cracks the top 10 in popularity but its fans love it, which is what matters.

You are implying that people rate the show highly because it has gender neutral characters, and frankly, I don't think that's true. I also don't think most people care much about it all, especially now that it's already half way. Instead, there are much about the show that's praise worthy, including art direction, voice acting, world building etc.
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:24 pm Reply with quote
The hell ?
Osomatsu can't be that low, it has to be a conspiracy or something.
Even if it wasnt that popular it was really well ranked and this season isnt really different from the first so i dont see how it could go that low.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:42 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Maybe people watching Osomatsu have stopped voting? Or are falling behind on the series or something?

I only saw half of the episode that was removed from season one, but IMO (YMMV) it might be for the very same reason that Ranma 1/2 was very popular in the west but Urusei Yatsura wasn't; if the second season has very japan-centric jokes, they will fall flat on viewers, meanwhile more generic (but less funny) jokes (like in Ranma 1/2) will please more people in the west. Many of the viewers of ANN have become acquainted with japanese culture and might understand some jokes that casual viewers will never understand (but might be still watching and ranking the series out of habit), but in comparison with the wave of new viewers, old timers are a smaller fraction.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:57 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
I only saw half of the episode that was removed from season one, but IMO (YMMV) it might be for the very same reason that Ranma 1/2 was very popular in the west but Urusei Yatsura wasn't; if the second season has very japan-centric jokes, they will fall flat on viewers, meanwhile more generic (but less funny) jokes (like in Ranma 1/2) will please more people in the west. Many of the viewers of ANN have become acquainted with japanese culture and might understand some jokes that casual viewers will never understand (but might be still watching and ranking the series out of habit), but in comparison with the wave of new viewers, old timers are a smaller fraction.

The most recent episode (not covered by this entry) did have more Japan centric jokes, but overall this season hasn't been much different than the last one in that regard. If anything, I think that episode will break the downward tread. I also find it hard to believe that casual viewers made it all the way though the first season and are just now cooling on it.
Zzshcl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I ALWAYS THOUGHT THESE CHARTS WERE BASED ON REVIEWERS GRADES

what a fraud, not gonna pay attention to this again
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote
^I'll just quote the top two paragraphs that appears on each entry of the feature

Quote:
Our team of reviewers are following 31 anime series of the Fall 2017 season and readers are rating each episode as the reviews go up. So let's have a look at what ANN readers consider the best (and worst) of the season.

Keep in mind that these rankings are based on how people rated individual episodes of the current season, not on the overall quality or popularity of the series. Only the titles legally streaming in North America and popular enough to be reviewed are being ranked, so the bottom of the list might represent 'watchable' rather than 'bad'. See the notes for further details.

Emphasis mine.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:55 am Reply with quote
I think it's a case of major downvoting. Episode 7 was one of the strongest episode and the community score is barely keeping up with some of season 1's weakest episode.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:02 am Reply with quote
Nice to see Girls' Last Tour and Land of the Lustrous so high up on the charts. Going into this season, I was worried that both shows' post-apocalyptic elements would be overshadowed by Kino, but it looks like that wasn't the case at all.

Other than that, it looks like this is a really healthy season, with not only something for everyone, but something good for everyone.

Zzshcl wrote:
I ALWAYS THOUGHT THESE CHARTS WERE BASED ON REVIEWERS GRADES

MWA HA HA YOU ALWAYS SHOULD HAVE READ THE FIRST PARAGRAPH NOW AS PUNISHMENT I SHALL DESTROY ALL CIVILIZED PLANETS ...maybe it's time I call it a night.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:56 am Reply with quote
I think I can safely say at this point that Land of the Lustrous is the best looking CG series made to date. I can't think of anything that's even come close. There was a huge fight on Sakugabooru over whether it should be allowed, because people wouldn't accept that a CG series has such good animation. Just amazing so far.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:23 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I think I can safely say at this point that Land of the Lustrous is the best looking CG series made to date. I can't think of anything that's even come close. There was a huge fight on Sakugabooru over whether it should be allowed, because people wouldn't accept that a CG series has such good animation. Just amazing so far.

I think that was a self-created fight, to be fair. Only the guy who posted it and like one other guy were going crazy about the site being close-minded. Anyone in a position of power was very responsible about it.
I'm not sure how I feel about it being on the sakugabooru myself, because it's hard for me to think of how it's sakuga. But I'd love to have a CGbooru or something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2