• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami to Air Black Clover Anime Starting December 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nodz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:
NO NOOO NOOOOOO!!! Please If there is a God NOO!!!! This show is GENERIC CANCER! Im not even trolling like why this? No Kabaneri or ReZero but THIS???

Don't... watch it? Rolling Eyes
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:58 pm Reply with quote
So instead of airing My Hero Academia seasons 1 + 2 and giving it the popularity it deserves through more mainstream means we get this... Good job *thumbs up*

Now I do not hate the show, but I do love the medieval setting. This series is as generic shounen as a generic shounen can get and hearing the Japanese dub of Asta hurts my head I just hope the English version is more bearable. I feel for the noobie seiyuu I just hope he gets more roles after this not the best way to start off your acting career.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Like other people mentioned, I'm more surprised My Hero wasn't chosen before this. The push is real for the show. If they wanted something to appeal more to casual anime fans, then Kekkai Sensen is right there. Just waiting.

The promotion of Black Clover reminds of Toriko's push. While Toriko was succesful there was a time when they really wanted it to be huge by promoting it with Dragonball and One Piece. Black Clover will no doubt be a success, but maybe not one like they hope. Hell, Promised Neverland surpassed a while ago.

DukeNukem3D0 wrote:
besides isn’t mha has full of cliches as black clover in yet people love it

Because it's better.

Last edited by bleachj0j on Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
epicwizard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
What? No World Trigger or Twin Star Exorcists? Rolling Eyes Laughing

Yeah, it's kinda odd that Toonami has yet to air World Trigger. Toei wants the dub to have a big-scale release in North America first before a home media release, so I wonder why they approached Primo TV (a Hispanic-centric channel that's only available on Comcast Xfinity in select states in the US) instead of Toonami. Or unless if they did try approaching Toonami, but the latter said "no".
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
FlyGuySempai wrote:
NO NOOO NOOOOOO!!! Please If there is a God NOO!!!! This show is GENERIC CANCER! Im not even trolling like why this? No Kabaneri or ReZero but THIS???

Don't... watch it? Rolling Eyes

Your God Dayum right im not watching this crap, you must be joking if you think so!
DukeNukem3D0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:
So instead of airing My Hero Academia seasons 1 + 2 and giving it the popularity it deserves through more mainstream means we get this... Good job *thumbs up*

Now I do not hate the show, but I do love the medieval setting. This series is as generic shounen as a generic shounen can get and hearing the Japanese dub of Asta hurts my head I just hope the English version is more bearable. I feel for the noobie seiyuu I just hope he gets more roles after this not the best way to start off your acting career.
mha is already popular with vrv, Crunchyroll and Hulu, it’s a great series but stop overrating it like it’s perfect
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Black Cover in a nutshell. Warning this video is the most annoying sound in the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9ERlMgQLd4

The only advantage is that Toonami starts 30 minutes earlier which is great for people who can't stay up. I'm not 1 of those people. But now Toonami has almost taken over the whole Saturday night.

Last edited by MoonPhase1 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:36 pm Reply with quote
so instead of airing my Hero Academia, they choose it's really generic rival.
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:45 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:

It just makes no darn sense. Pass on focusing a good and enjoyable series for the sake of a generic, boring, and slow shounen series.

Sure, why not. Clearly some deals were made ahead of time. The push this show is getting is kind of insane. We've got this news, the movie theater release for the first four episodes which still sounds bizarre for this franchise, and the heavy ad push on CR/Funi.

Oh well. If they push the dub then at least they are only pushing an average to below average series. Eliminating Asta's JP voice is a huge gain, but that doesn't remove the issue of too much filler this early in a series or the slow pacing. It'll probably do alright thanks to the serious effort being put behind supporting it. But it isn't going to be the next Naruto. You can't make generic rise that far above itself.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:50 pm Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:
This may not be a ratings hit on Toonami, especially since the dub is already streaming on FUNimationNow. Nonetheless, I'm now planning on watching it on Toonami since I want to legally support it without having to watch it on FUNimationNow (I'm a broke college student who can't afford a monthly subscription to any streaming services).

That is why I'm a little surprised by this announcement. They even held off on uploading dubs of Attack on Titan in order to make sure they always premiered on Toonami.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, now that you mention it, it's surprising that it started streaming a couple of weeks ago if they were working on a deal to get it on Toonami. They even had more time to set it up since they gave it a slightly longer wait than some of the other premieres in order to do two eps that first day they started posting the simuldub. But I guess both the JP and US side has agreed to try to get it everywhere, like everyone's said it's getting a really big push.

At this point I'd actually be shocked if the JP side has any intention of stopping at 51 episodes, they seem to be trying to set this up to be the next long runner.

bleachj0j wrote:
Like other people mentioned, I'm more surprised My Hero wasn't chosen before this. The push is real for the show. If they wanted something to appeal more to casual anime fans, then Kekkai Sensen is right there. Just waiting.

That's more what I'm thinking. BC fits Toonami just fine, but I'm really surprised that it's not MHA or BBB first. Figured BBB getting its second season giving it a longer run now and its perfect mix of content was going to be the right time for it to get on the block but then again I thought these two and Psycho-Pass (back when it was new), thanks to the enduring popularity of GITS on the block, would be sure things for the block just like OPM was.

Finny-chan wrote:

Yeah. I also didn't think the block would get extended like this, let alone in the last month of the year, so I didn't think they'd add another shonen until like when the Kai Buu saga ends or something.

It is, the dub is actually quite good so far. And English Asta is way better, including his yelling.

DeTroyes wrote:
Black Clover is Okay, but frankly I'm hoping they put the new dub of Yamato 2199 somewhere on their schedule.

I could see this happening eventually now that it's finally getting a dub, since they like the franchise. Maybe after Lupin?
emerald00

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping they would air MHA.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:16 pm Reply with quote
FlareKnight wrote:
theNightster wrote:

It just makes no darn sense. Pass on focusing a good and enjoyable series for the sake of a generic, boring, and slow shounen series.

No, it makes perfect sense. MHA is FunimationNow's killer app, they want that dub locked as their big exclusive for the website. Not to mention Hulu has it now as well, which depending on their contract may prevent a television run.

Morgan B. wrote:

This however, is a massive flip-off to all the people who wanted their favorite anime to air on the block for the very first time, only for a show that’s not even popular and had just started to take the next slot.

This complaint doesn't make sense, seeing as Black Clover isn't "taking the next slot", it's CREATING a slot (hence the expansion to 10:30). If they didn't pick up Black Clover, they'd have the 10 slots they've had for a while rather than 11. The next time a show will replace an existing slot will be in January/February will be when Lupin Part IV ends.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:10 am Reply with quote
So wait, they're basically showing the dub a few weeks after it's released via simuldub? Sounds like a good way to kill off any savvy viewers.
TheArsonAut

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:43 am Reply with quote
WTF? Where is MHA? Everyone knows BC is trash. What are they thinking? Usual bad CN decision making. Nobody is excited to watch BC. Shocked

Must have been the leftover scrap nobody wanted. They lost MHA and Blue Exorcist season 2 dub. Don't know if I really have any respect for CN negotiating anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7