• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - Six of the Best 1980s Anime Space Operas

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't know why Gundam doesn't get on this list? I mean I know Char's Counterattack isn't perfect but even it has nice 80s space battles to look at not to mention the movie trilogy adaptation of the original show came out in the 80s and Zeta!
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Man, I miss the epic space shows since they were way more prevalent back then.

Rob Krol wrote:
I think you miss one show Smile where is Gall Force?? after all from the 80s Smile

I remember that Smile
SolHerald

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I really didn't like Final Yamato, after each new entry the series got weaker and I felt like that movie encompassed everything that was getting stale with the series.

Space Adventure Cobra (movie) is pretty great but I have to agree with Beltane70 that the series is better, and the same can be said for Towards the Terra.

After reaching Arcadia of my Youth recently with other people, I found it to be a bit clunky, but it is still one of my favorite anime movies ever and probably one of the best space opera movies.
vision33r

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:12 am Reply with quote
Orguss should be there. How can they left that out.

Gundam Z one of the best.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Ah, memories.....

From Why Robtech is better than Macross (and those two others).:
Back in 2010 I wrote:
I have a soft spot in my heart for Robotech, but I am NOT going to address the underlying assumption of this thread's title if for no other reason that I have absolutely no desire to become subsumed into the Robotech v. Macross/Southern Cross/Mosspaeda debate.....

Love him or hate him -- and damned few anime fans are neutral toward him -- one has to admit that Carl Macek made a huge and indelible impression on the anime market outside of Japan with this production of his from the mid-80s. I will discuss my reactions to it as teenager at the time.

Whenever I discuss my reactions to Robotech, I invariably bring up G.I. Joe; the reason that I do so is because it invites the most comparisons:
  1. It was on at the same time; and
  2. It was also about war/fighting in the near future.

So what, exactly, was it that blew me away?
  1. The Graphics:
    G.I. Joe simply didn't compare. Period.
  2. The Music:
    I'm not audiologically inclined, but I was impressed with Robotech's soundtrack. (I also loved the way the opening closed -- with a Veritech defending the SDF-1, which -- in turn -- was defending the Earth. A rather cool juxtaposition, I thought.)
  3. The Plot/Character Development:
    This is what so completely blew me away and forced me to re-examine all of the anime that I had watched -- almost all of it being American -- in a new light. I had never before seen any series where the characters openly questioned the morality of war. I had never before seen any series where death was acknowledged -- much less any series where main characters WERE KILLED OFF!!!

G.I. Joe had none of this. NONE.

By the way, I didn't find out until years later that Robotech was a Japanese anime, and not until even later that it was comprised of three unrelated series -- none of which had the concept of Protocuture. But I always regard Robotech as the series that opened my eyes to the shortcomings of G.I. Joe (and Superfriends, and The Flintstones, and Scooby-do, and He-Man, and Voltron, and Tom & Jerry, and the rest of the sad and sorry crop).
classicalzawa wrote:
[...]
I'm more amazed at how censorship has advanced since this show came out in the 80s, I mean, 4Kids edited one of Buggy's crew members in One Piece just because he was black and also did the "poison suction cups" replacement (I can't even imagine what they would've done with Claudia and Roy at the time, I mean a black woman and a white man dating? Whuuuuu?!) And then of course there's always that one line I remember from Yugioh The Abridged Series "Yugi! You can't be dead! If you were dead, 4Kids would've censored it!" (and "I wanted to use the visible guns, but nooo, we had to use the invisible guns!").
I mean, I don't get it, when did they figure that kids can't deal with the permanent death of a character? And I mostly mean America, two French shows that I've seen, both made within the past five years, (Oban Star-Racers and Wakfu) have both had one, so looking back at Robotech today (which I say somewhat ironically seeing how it aired before I was born) merely makes me question wtf is wrong with America these days? And it makes me also wonder "why is everyone complaining about what happened to Robotech when so much worse things have happened with 4Kids a hell of a lot more recently?" I mean, Robotech left in death, it left in the questioning of war, it left in romance, and while they cut stuff out, I think what they left in is a lot more important in this case and they still made a really good show all things said (I know that they cut some shower scenes and some more violent scenes from the Masters arc, which I understand, but they also cut stuff from Zor's backstory as a result of changing his origins, the Masters arc being the only one I've also seen in original sub).
I really like Robotech but it didn't give me a burning desire to see the original series because I had felt like I'd seen a broken wreck of a mess, but rather because I had seen something really really good.
Dolza wrote:
I have to agree with the prior 2 posters. Robotech IS the reason I am an anime fan. I watched (and enjoyed) SDF-M a lot, (and SDC-SC for that matter) but the memory of what I loved as a kid will outweigh the flaws. I also prefer the new music.
vashna wrote:
I'd actually rather not fight about it. I love both series. I wasn't alive yet when Robotech came out, but I got into it after being an anime fan, and own the series on DVD. At the same time, I've watched most of the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross, and recently (finally) found a copy of the Macross II manga. Robotech was dubbed in a different time, but it's really a timeless series. I rather found a lot of the science fiction aspect to share some qualities with series like Star Trek and Star Wars, and the musical setting actually fit the scenes quite well.

I think we could also remember that this forum has at least a tentative connection to Protoculture Addicts which, as the name suggests, started as a Robotech fanzine. Very Happy
Boomer wrote:
While I don't think it was a good idea to stitch three unrelated anime series together into a less-than-seemless whole, I would agree that the Macross Saga of Robotech is better than the original SDF Macross series. Mind you, I also liked the other two original series that made up Robotech (i.e. Mospeada and Southern Cross) better than SDF Macross. Sure, you are getting a completely different interpretation of what protoculture is, but the story is more or less intact with more appropriate music and more mature behavior from the characters than in the original. If you want to get the essence of what Macross is about, you are much better off watching Do You Remember Love?.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But I always regard Robotech as the series that opened my eyes to the shortcomings of G.I. Joe (and Superfriends, and The Flintstones, and Scooby-do, and He-Man, and Voltron, and Tom & Jerry, and the rest of the sad and sorry crop).

So Robotech could Macross for all the world to see but Voltron's Go Lion has to go? That's like saying Battle of the Planets is bad because it should be more like anime... more like Gatchaman.

I like Robotech more than Macross myself but more for narrative reasons... the Zentradi are an awful alien enemy species and anything that can distance their importance and even existence is a good idea.

Macross is remembered for a number of things but it's never going to be for giant green aliens who aren't either when it suits the plot.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

So Robotech could Macross for all the world to see but Voltron's Go Lion has to go? That's like saying Battle of the Planets is bad because it should be more like anime... more like Gatchaman.

I guess that I should elaborate on my reasoning for including Voltron -- but someone else expressed it far better than I ever could:
Carl Kimlinger wrote:
Upon completing this set, my one reaction was an overwhelming desire to throttle the show and demand that it return the hours of my life that it had stolen from me.
Look, when I saw it on TV I liked the way it started out -- but then it sort of petered out into nothing..... And, quite frankly, I was never terribly impressed with Armored Fleet Dairugger XV.

Sometime back, there was a column posted that was written by most of ANN's writers. Because of my piss-poor search skills I cannot find it, so I have to rely on my memory -- which also isn't the greatest. Whatever. So Mike Toole in his own section of the column wrote about how he would reimagine Voltron. I especially liked how he managed to include Armored Fleet Dairugger XV in his hypothetical plot. If someone can find the column in question, then please post a link -- I would dearly love to re-read it. As far as Go Lion (Hyakujū Ō Golion) itself is concerned: Is it even possible to find the original Japanese version? It is my understanding that Voltron is a bastardized localization of that series.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:

I guess that I should elaborate on my reasoning for including Voltron -- but someone else expressed it far better than I ever could:
Carl Kimlinger wrote:
Upon completing this set, my one reaction was an overwhelming desire to throttle the show and demand that it return the hours of my life that it had stolen from me.
Look, when I saw it on TV I liked the way it started out -- but then it sort of petered out into nothing..... And, quite frankly, I was never terribly impressed with Armored Fleet Dairugger XV.

Sometime back, there was a column posted that was written by most of ANN's writers. Because of my piss-poor search skills I cannot find it, so I have to rely on my memory -- which also isn't the greatest. Whatever. So Mike Toole in his own section of the column wrote about how he would reimagine Voltron. I especially liked how he managed to include Armored Fleet Dairugger XV in his hypothetical plot. If someone can find the column in question, then please post a link -- I would dearly love to re-read it. As far as Go Lion (Hyakujū Ō Golion) itself is concerned: Is it even possible to find the original Japanese version? It is my understanding that Voltron is a bastardized localization of that series.

Actually GoLion was easily avaliable subtitled on DVD for a time and also now on Crunchyroll if you look for it. It's quite the wild show from Voltron.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2