• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses All 4 Free! Anime Films, Screens Take Your Marks in Theaters

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Slight correction: the first Timeless Medley film covered the events of the second season around Haruka, Makoto, & the Iwatobi team (focusing on the first two) while the second film covered the events of the second season around Rin, Sousuke, & the Samezuka team (with the titular "Promise" between Rin and Sousuke).

All four of these films are great in different ways.

High Speed! is a wonderful tale showing the formation of the Iwatobi Middle School medley relay team of Haruka, Makoto, Asahi, and Ikuya. It's Takemoto at his best: making the team's formation feel genuine and heartwarming. It's not Free! so much as its own thing entirely, but is easily the best singular film of this set.

Timeless Medley Bond is a fantastic telling of Haruka and Makoto's final year in high school and how they decide on their own paths plus the bond between them. Kawanami does a wonderful job digging into Haruka and really helping him feel like a "character" this time IMO. I felt the trip to Australia works much better here than in Eternal Summer and doesn't feel as out-of-place.

Contrasting that, Timeless Medley Promise digs further into Rin than any other point besides episode 7 of season 1. Kawanami does a great job establishing the relationship between Rin and Sousuke with some new footage to set up the main tale of the film. It's more chaotic than Bond due to fitting in some Iwatobi scenes/bits and some scenes with Asahi/Ikuya. It's a wonderful compliment to Bond.

Finally, I wrote about Take Your Marks already for ANN, so you can see my thoughts there. I found Kawanami went more towards the comedic side here rather than the light drama in Timeless Medley, but it shows his range as a director. It's a great tease towards season 3 and finishes off the high school portion of the story well.

Ah! I'm so excited Funi licensed all these films! I can't wait for everyone to see them and share in how wonderful they are!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I look forward to be the only male in the theater when it comes to Canada Smile
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Yesssss!!
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Sweet but didn't think that there was 4 movies
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Yesssssssssss! High Speed! FREE!! YESSSS
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1