• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wins Game of the Year at 35th Golden Joystick Awards

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Effectively surprising no one. Congrats Zelda. Very Happy

(500th comment. Woohoo Cool )
TsukasaHiiragi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much no surprise, but for me - it is over-rated, if only it wasn't for nintendo fanbois, then games like Persona 5 would have actually had a chance.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:30 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaHiiragi wrote:
Pretty much no surprise, but for me - it is over-rated, if only it wasn't for nintendo fanbois, then games like Persona 5 would have actually had a chance.

I like Persona 5 but it was Game Of The Year material either.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
TsukasaHiiragi wrote:

I like Persona 5 but it was Game Of The Year material either.

It really was though.
3rdImpakt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:26 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaHiiragi wrote:

Really? You think BotW is "over-rated" and it's only being talked about and winning awards because of Nintendo fanboys? I'm not disagreeing with Persona 5 certainly being a contender....but I feel like you're selling Zelda short. Honestly this year was full of 9/10 games. I would say Zelda, Mario and Persona 5 are right up there at the top.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:06 am Reply with quote
BOTW just had some elements holding it back, the weapon durability wasn't fun for me and the lesser focus on story/characters was a downgrade as well. For me, the winner this year was clearly Nier: Automata. 2nd best combat gameplay this gen for me (#1 being Bloodborne, and I haven't gotten to Bayonetta 2 yet so can't count that one yet) and the story and the characters (and that OST, oh man) are just amazing. Just like the first Nier, the final ending of this game was incredible and utilized a game mechanic to pull off an ending that would actually be impossible to achieve with the exact emotional feeling in any other medium but video games (MASSIVE SPOILERS for both Nier games, spoiler[the first with having to sacrifice your save file symbolizing Nier's sacrifice of his own existence, and Automata with players all around the world joining you to save 2B, 9S, and A2 against all odds as the beautiful song of "Weight of the World" plays]).
Z-Raid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Congrats for BotW fans/Nintendo for the reward.

Personally, BotW was a great game but I don't think it's a perfect game like everyone rated it as (and I say this as a huge Zelda fan). Like doctordoom85 said, there were some elements that held the game back and watered down my enjoyment of the game a fair bit. If any Nintendo was going to get GOTY I would rather it be Super Mario Odyssey than BotW tbh. In my experience with both games, I found the exploration far more rewarding and consistently enjoyable in SMO than Zelda.

Outside of Nintendo, I would have liked Nier:Automata to have won. Extremely fun and smooth combat system, an excellent narrative (I still need to replay the game more to get the full picture of the story but I've enjoyed what I've seen so far), and an awesome soundtrack.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

It really was though.

Dahhhh I meant "wasn't" it's always something that slips through the cracks..

3rdImpakt wrote:
but I feel like you're selling Zelda short.

You can pretty much say that about any Zelda game that's been released since the original Ocarinia of Time of N64.....even it's remake.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Nice that FF won the HoF award. FF is one of the best series ever and impacted many lives, for example, like FF7. It helped changed gaming during the PS1 days.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1