• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Charged for Selling Custom-Modified Monster Hunter 4G Save Data

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Not sure where I stand on this one, on one level it can be considered hacking which is a chargeable offense in some regard and also tax avoidance.

On the other hand it's monster hunter and a very hard game that few people actually complete, seems like a miss-step on developers part to crack down on this and will only be bad publicity.
myskaros

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:46 pm Reply with quote
The main problem is the selling for money, I'd think. If he was just modding saves for free, I doubt it would have been a major problem.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:01 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
The main problem is the selling for money, I'd think. If he was just modding saves for free, I doubt it would have been a major problem.

Pretty much.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I've got to say that it seems seriously off for saved game data to have anything to do with copyrights. I wouldn't have thought that anything that they said he did would qualify as illegal.
gsilver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:29 am Reply with quote
How on earth does modifying a save file bring in over $700?

While I don’t understand how modifying a saved game file could be a legal matter, the amount of crash that he was raking in was absurd.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:14 am Reply with quote
Meanwhile hundreds of unsolved chikan/rape-assualt and murders/attempted murders go unsolved in Osaka, but at least our society is safe from the dangers of modding a save file on a game someone bought and changed on his own computer. I sure hate to see what happens to someone who overclocks their CPU
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
gsilver wrote:
How on earth does modifying a save file bring in over $700?

While I don’t understand how modifying a saved game file could be a legal matter, the amount of crash that he was raking in was absurd.

Some people will play a LOT of money for mods, even digital ones. Essentially, he was getting money from rich people (or people with poor budgeting skills) who want some sort of advantage in the game, whether it's from a lack of time, a lack of effort, or just wanting to feel better about themselves. There are people who earn a living entirely through making digital mods for games.

I find it weird that this person got in trouble though. Then again, I take it this game has online multiplayer, so while I think him getting arrested was an overreaction, I consider it wrong to create advantages for yourself when playing with or against other people that cannot otherwise be obtained in the game.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
Meanwhile hundreds of unsolved chikan/rape-assualt and murders/attempted murders go unsolved in Osaka, but at least our society is safe from the dangers of modding a save file on a game someone bought and changed on his own computer. I sure hate to see what happens to someone who overclocks their CPU

It wasn't the police or company's fault. The man basically confessed to the crime all on his own, when he brought his complaint forward.

This is basically a case of a "person officially telling the police that someone stole his illegal drugs". He walked into his police department, and told them his complaint concerning his illegal actions. While it is not as dumb as the illegal drug example (which is real), still he should have thought this through more.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:04 pm Reply with quote
What an idiot.
I also like how the saves costed basically as much as the game itself.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I don't feel sorry for this guy. He told on himself. I don't think you need to be an expert to know what you were about to do was not smart.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1