• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Game No Life Zero Film Earns 700 Million Yen

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Afezeria

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:00 pm Reply with quote
This is great. There's a high chance for that 2nd season announcement.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Wonder how much it made in the US.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:27 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:

I'm curious about that as well. I went to the Sub showing with a friend and oh god. The movie was enjoyable, however the 25 minute (yes 25 minutes) documentary interview with the ENTIRE Sentai Dub-Cast made everyone miserable. Some people walked out of the theater and told their friends to text them when the movie came on. It was an unnecessary thing for them to force that on everyone BEFORE the movie, plus again we were all there for Sub version and didn't care about the Dub-Cast in the slightest.
srlracing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:50 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
ultimatehaki wrote:

I'm curious about that as well. I went to the Sub showing with a friend and oh god. The movie was enjoyable, however the 25 minute (yes 25 minutes) documentary interview with the ENTIRE Sentai Dub-Cast made everyone miserable. Some people walked out of the theater and told their friends to text them when the movie came on. It was an unnecessary thing for them to force that on everyone BEFORE the movie, plus again we were all there for Sub version and didn't care about the Dub-Cast in the slightest.

The theatre I was at did not have such a bad reaction, we quite enjoyed it and groaned and laughed over the difference in lines and voice acting as a bunch of sub snobs. But we were all terrified that we accidentally bought tickets to a dub screening. There was a collective and audible sigh of relief when the actual movie began and the characters began to speak Japanese.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
srlracing wrote:

But we were all terrified that we accidentally bought tickets to a dub screening. There was a collective and audible sigh of relief when the actual movie began and the characters began to speak Japanese.

I had the same reaction. I really don't care what other people enjoy. And I didn't care to judge their performances, but I was a little terrified that I might have accidentally gotten tickets for a dub screening. It made the beginning thing even more pointless to me though. I wasn't as bothered by it as a lot of other people either, apparently, but it wasn't necessary. And I would say was probably a bad decision, ultimately.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:21 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
srlracing wrote:

But we were all terrified that we accidentally bought tickets to a dub screening. There was a collective and audible sigh of relief when the actual movie began and the characters began to speak Japanese.

I had the same reaction. I really don't care what other people enjoy. And I didn't care to judge their performances, but I was a little terrified that I might have accidentally gotten tickets for a dub screening. It made the beginning thing even more pointless to me though. I wasn't as bothered by it as a lot of other people either, apparently, but it wasn't necessary. And I would say was probably a bad decision, ultimately.

Haha ya everyone in my theater including myself was terrified of maybe accidentally going to the Dub. Also I mean that's cool if people enjoy the interview documentary, but in my opinion it would have been more appropriate to show if after the movie at the very end. So then people could have the option to watch it or not, holding the movie hostage behind something someone may or may not want to watch isn't very nice, but that's just my opinion. Also if people enjoy the dub more power to them, I simply paid for the Sub and that's what I wanted to see.

Edit: Plus the interview documentary got into some almost spoilery stuff and I didn't want to hear anyone talk about the movie before actually seeing it regardless.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:47 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
ultimatehaki wrote:

Maybe it's my age or something --
But I really don't understand this attitude of dub/anti-dub business.

It's SHEER snobbery. Admit it -- you're a snob. And it's not even in a joking sense. It's that attitude of East Vs West, being born on the wrong side of town, falling into this mind-set of "Us versus them," SOMEBODY has to be the bad guy! Do you have any clue of what you've fallen into?!?

Do you understand that well over half the people who EVER watch anime want to see it in their own language?!? It's an indisputable fact that most people DO NOT like to read subs. They can't read fast enough and watch the action at the same time, or they just find the whole sub routine TOO distracting to enjoy films because they're there to see action not read signs -- and I'm saying that as someone who prefers subs, too!
This is in ANY country -- not just the US!
The dub phenomenon has made anime FAR more accessible to people AND it's kept the prices down. If you want everything to cost and be charged like what Aniplex charges for their shows then by all means demand that it's all subbed!
Anime sells FAR less when it's not dubbed. That works against BOTH the fans who want subtitles AND those who prefer to hear it in their own language.

And FYI, not everybody who went into the theaters to see this film had seen the TV series beforehand! Sure, it would have helped to see the TV series BUT not everybody had the time or opportunity to do that!
There was a point to having that summary AND they also wanted to acknowledge the dub cast, too, so BRAVO, for dismissing other people's livelihood because YOU don't see a point to it!
It's no wonder people cringe when they check out their Facebook pages. They have so much to look forward to from fans like you!!!
Thankfully, YOU are the minority of anime fans.
I DID NOT miss you guys when I NEVER returned to Anime Expo after 1995...

I haven't edited your post, as other people have quoted it (and replied reasonably). Please avoid name-calling in your posts in future. You can make your point without calling people snobs. Thanks. Errinundra.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:38 am Reply with quote
^

You realize you went on an entire rant and blew up on me, over 20 minutes after my second message where I clarified and stated the following. "Also if people enjoy the dub more power to them, I simply paid for the Sub and that's what I wanted to see."

I'm happy that Dubs exist, I'm glad that they make anime more accessible. Stop judging me at face value and assuming things simply because you have a chip on your shoulder about this topic. You don't know me, you don't know my opinions, so don't attack me over assumptions you made about me and what I think please.

Again I paid to see the Sub version, I didn't care about the Dub documentary. However as I stated also in my second comment, they could have still included it after the movie. Or another option was to include it just in the Dub version. Personally if I watched the Dub version I wouldn't have wanted the interview documentary either, people talking about the movie before I even watch the movie isn't fun for me, especially not for 25 minutes. Plus I'm not generally interested in interviews. So again, is it to much ask for them to show it as an optional thing after the movie? I don't think so.

Edit: Also a brief maybe 5 minute at most summary of the anime before this film would have been fine, but you didn't need to watch the anime before the movie since the movie is a standalone separate story, additionally it's a prequel with different characters. If you didn't watch the anime series before the movie I'd think it'd be best to not get spoiled completely with a summary, instead enjoy the movie then go home and watch the anime. In whatever preference you desire of Dub or Sub. Again I'm not judging anyone for their opinion there.

Edit 2: Also when I said NOBODY that saw the Sub wanted to see the Dub-Cast Interview Documentary, obviously I was using hyperbole and being a tad assumptious. I can't speak for everyone, which is also why I stated that common ground could be found if they showed it after the movie for anyone that does want to watch the interviews.

[Edit]: removed unnecessary nested quotes. Please read the quoting guidelines. Errinundra.

Last edited by HoboSoup on Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Zendervai

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:38 am Reply with quote
I saw a dub screening (it’s a pretty good dub, even if the trailer made it sound bad), but since it was through Cineplex and not through Fathom or whoever Sentai teamed up with in the US, there wasn’t anything in front of it.

Unfortunately, the movie glitched out at the staircase scene and began showing random still frames from further along in the movie with half-second cuts of audio. The theatre staff had to restart the movie and fast forward through it to get back to where we were because there were no chapters in the file. There were no future issues. We got free tickets to use in the future to apologize.
aifhak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:14 am Reply with quote
I guess I'm in that number?

Saw the 4DX version and while I usually don't go for those 4DX kind of things I just had to for this being NGNL and all.
But really, I'm glad I went in without buying any soda/popcorn because that would have gone flying through some of the later scenes Very Happy
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:02 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

Maybe it's my age or something --
But I really don't understand this attitude of dub/anti-dub business.

It's SHEER snobbery. Admit it -- you're a snob.

Maybe it is your age? Or you didn't read our comments properly? Or you are just one of those dub fans who, as much as they claim they just want to enjoy their dubs in peace, actually instigate much of the drama by refusing to accept that some people just want to watch their subs in peace?
Both of us clearly stated that we do not care at all whether someone else wants to watch a show dubbed. We just prefer subs and paid for the subbed showing. If it had been dubbed, I would've watched it, but just as you obviously prefer watching anime in English, I prefer it in Japanese, so it would've been a less than ideal experience.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:50 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
srlracing wrote:

Same with me plus when the movie started it didn't fit properly on the screen so the subtitles were cut off and they had to start over to fix it and we ended up watching the last 5 minutes of the interview again. So blown.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:48 am Reply with quote
People here talking about how they were scared their showing was dubbed lol. My screening started in sub while I paid for the dub, boy do i tell you i got up and went to get that corrected. Scared the shit out of me that I bought the wrong ticket lol.

People ditching on the dub always do souns snubby though. Always giving the impressions that dubs are for inferior tastes. Anyways...Glad it did well! The movie was phenomenal. Sentai did a really good job for the dub. I was really inpressed. Also from the glimps of the sub I got, sentai really really really needs to drop yellow subtitles. They are ugly as sins.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
People here talking about how they were scared their showing was dubbed lol. My screening started in sub while I paid for the dub, boy do i tell you i got up and went to get that corrected. Scared the shit out of me that I bought the wrong ticket lol.

Damn. So they accidentally did screw up there?

Quote:
People ditching on the dub always do souns snubby though. Always giving the impressions that dubs are for inferior tastes.

No one ditched because of the dub. They ditched because the intro was unnecessarily long and people worried they were in the wrong showing. It's hard to express that you prefer one over the other without coming across as disliking the other, but that's because that's usually the case. I don't like dubs. The best I can do is make it clear that I really do not care if other people like them and watch them. So I always try to note that. But they just aren't for me.
aifhak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:33 pm Reply with quote
speaking of which,

I was told by friends that the screenings in the US basicly spoilered the entire movie before it even started. Is that the interview with the people that did the dub that you're talking about?
Or is it just the 3minute PV they showed in the US (that did indeed basicly spoil everything, link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ST8O7d598M don't open if you don't want to be spoilered. Even the thumbnail is a spoiler...) in contrast to the normal 1:30 ones in JP that didn't show all the important stuff.

I watched it in JP so I'm not really sure what the screenings in the US were like but I heard a lot of talk from people being pissed about being spoilered. So maybe a couple of those people just left the screening in an attempt to not get spoilered after having heard about that issue as well (and not knowing which part would have that issue) ?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2