• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stories Behind Fate/Apocrypha's Servants of Black

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scrwbll19

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But really, Caster of Black isn't all that rooted in the historical Solomon ibn Gabirol. He's just seen as an important historical Jewish guy that can be used as a vehicle for bringing that flavor of mysticism into this syncretic free-for-all. He's credited with inventing Kabbalah in the Fate universe, which isn't at all true to my knowledge. While Kabbalah is just another magical system in Fate, it's actually considered a set of techniques for interpreting the Hebrew bible and using knowledge to become one with God in our world. (Or something like that. If you have a good two-sentence summary of Kabbalah, please inform me. I have never found one.)

It is debated by scholars who "created" Kabbalah. Traditionalists will say that it was revealed by Rabbi Shimon bar Yochai during the Roman occupation around 135 CE. However, significant scholars like Daniel C. Matt, who recently translated the Zohar, which is the main text for Kabbalah, into English, point to Moses de Leon, a rabbi who lived in 13th century Spain. While certain techniques are used for exegeting the Hebrew Bible (the most famous being gematria, where letters are assigned numerical values), the purpose of the Kabbalah is to know God. I have heard it said that "Kabbalah is the best method we have of knowing God in His identity."

Quote:
The Nasuverse hasn't pursued Jewish mysticism all that often, but it's rife for integration into the franchise's highly systematized articulations of mumbo-jumbo. Otherwise, the show's usage of Kabbalah has some added resonance in that Darnic is implied to be Jewish. That's how the story justifies his brief alliance with the Nazis, since he was just using them for his own purposes (obtaining the Greater Grail) and screwed them over as soon as he got it. This is also meant to explain his taste in decor – there's a menorah in every single room of this dude's house. Maybe that's why he needs so many homunculi minding the place; someone needs to keep all these damn candles lit all the time.

Oddly, menorot (plural for "menorah") are not that heavily figured into daily Jewish life, from the little I know. It is also odd that Nasu did not pick a bunch of Magen David ("Star of David") drawn around the house, seeing that they are usually heavily featured for magic in anime and have Kabbalistic significance. Confused

Quote:
My favorite thing about Caster of Black is how much his combat style emphasizes golems, (reflecting Avicebron's thematic role as a "maker of fakes" who sees them as more real and perfect than humanity.) Golems are some of my favorite mythological creatures, and they go tragically misrepresented by most of their modern portrayals. While they're now mostly used as cannon fodder in Dungeons and Dragons-style fantasies, they were originally conceived as benevolent creatures that Jewish people created in order to protect themselves from persecution. In one story, a Rabbi built a golem out of river mud to protect the Jewish people of Prague from either expulsion or execution. It worked, and according to legend, the golem's body is still kept in the attic of the synagogue where he lived. Unfortunately, Fate/Apocrypha's golems are just violent mooks, but golem-like themes do pop up around a number of other characters. There's the homunculus army, for example, but also another servant, Berserker of Black, whose own story may have been inspired by the Golem of Prague.

The golem is definitely misunderstood in modern pop culture. However, it would seem that Fate gets one thing somewhat right about them. Really, a golem is just a body without a soul. I am sure people have met others like this. That said, a person who acts soulless will often be violent about it. So, not too shabby here.

The story referenced is about the Maharal of Prague, who lived mostly in the 16th century, although it is debated whether was actually him who created the golem of fame. In one subsequent version of the story, the golem winds up going berserk and tries to kill everyone in the Jewish community after completing its duty. The Maharal has to destroy. He does this by removing a Hebrew letter on its forehead. The original word formed was "emet," or "truth," but, after the removal of the letter, it spells "met" or "death." Hence, the golem is stored in the attic of the synagogue, where access to the attic is strictly forbidden to this day. Interestingly enough, during WWII, some Nazis tried to go into the attic; they never came out again and could be found anywhere afterwards.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:04 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Chiron is just hiding his horse butt for an appropriate time. He knows the times we're in, and is not interested in having a bunch of weirdos into him.

On a more serious note, I could do without the spoilers of stuff the show hasn't aired yet, like a couple of the Noble Phantasms. I don't mind it too much though.

F/A doesn't seem to have all that much Master-Servant ties as the others. I guess Fione really wanted legs so she got someone with 4 of them, and Caules was very lonely so he got someone who was also lonely, but what the hell does Gordes have to do with Siegfried? Was Astolfo summoned to that sado master only because she really likes girly boys? Is that how it works? I want in if so.

well count me out. i mean seriously! just where in the holy high hell did they even got the idea to make him into freaking trap bait? from playing bridget from guilty gear or worse, got the idea to make him into a trap bait from watching otokonoko type series like boku no pico? i mean whoever created the concept art for astofo must be something else to fool non fate followers completely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:13 am Reply with quote
^ Did you read the article? Because it tells you exactly where they got the idea of making him a crossdresser.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:29 pm Reply with quote
It's appreciable that this article goes out of its way to lay out the real-world mythologies of Apocrypha's 'heroes' and compare/contrast them with the show's depiction of them as Servants.

However, I think this could use some sourcing, or at least mention which Fate materials were consulted. Even the wiki sources its Nasuverse-specific claims about Servants when it can (i.e. when the authors care to, which I think is more often than not).

But more upsetting than that-- and really, the more egregious aspect for the casual reader who really did only stick to the first 12 episodes of Netflix (who is presumably the author's target audience)-- is the stuff that instigated the following comments:

killjoy_the wrote:
On a more serious note, I could do without the spoilers of stuff the show hasn't aired yet, like a couple of the Noble Phantasms. I don't mind it too much though.

GoldCrusader wrote:

Although, the Jack the ripper noble phantasm was never really explained in the anime was it not? Same for the part with how her master is a prostitute. It was never mentioned. It's kind of a spoiler. Also I get that you disagreed with her clothing and I agree, but saying it once was enough, repeating it again and again made reading that section kind of the worst part even if it is supposed to be pretty interesting.

I very much agree; an article ostensibly about material from the first 12 episodes should NOT be addressing season 2 spoiler material without warning. All this important stuff about Jack, in particular, is addressed in the second half of the series. (And hell, having seen them already myself, the season 2 episodes of interest arguably don't even go as far as spelling out Jack's nature of identity, noble phantasm, or who her master Reika was as much as Ekens does in the article.)

I feel it'd have been much better if this "Stories Behind Fate/Apocrypha's Servants" two-parter thing was saved for the arrival of the second season on Netflix. If I were a Netflix-only viewer of Apocrypha and got spoiled on who/what Jack was in the context of the series, I'd be very wary about reading a forthcoming article about the Servants of Red. But what's posted is posted-- so at the very least (if you could please), could the season 2 material about Jack be spoiler-tagged for the sake of Netflix viewers, then?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:21 am Reply with quote
Gabriella Ekens wrote:
Remember that rule they had back in Fate/stay night, where servants had to be real people and not fictional characters?

No, because there was never any such rule. I honestly have no idea where you got that idea from.
Heroic spirits are formed from popularly retold stories that may or may not come from an actual person who existed (often a real person will get conflated with a mostly unrelated story and end up overwritten, but other times it's more like a mere idea gained a sort of soul). These heroic spirits no longer have any real connection to anyone's lives and are really just recreations of who someone might have been in life even in the best cases. Even so, chances are they are sourced from some other world in the infinite worlds in the multiverse. Still, as Servants, their power level is based on how well known their associated legend is in the time and place they are summoned to, which confuses things further still. Even still, Servants that are based on people who canonically never actually existed in any world in the Nasuverse have happened, even all the way back in the original Fate/stay night.

Gabriella Ekens wrote:
She functions a little like Vlad in this way, since her Noble Phantasm is the very concept of her iconic crime.

You mean exactly like literally every Servant, because that's just fundamentally how Noble Phantasms work. The ones that also happen to be normal, physical weapons.. really aren't. The physical weapon is just a catalyst for the concept born from the legend that happened to be associated with that weapon. A Noble Phantasm is literally described in the Nasuverse as the crystallization of a legend. As a subclass of conceptual weapons (weapons that utilize concepts rather than traditional means), to activate one is to make that legend impact reality in some conceptual way. The Lancer from Fate/stay night, for example, had two Noble Phantasms, both associated with his lance. One is the legend that his strikes would always find the heart. So that's what that one does, period. The other is the legend that his lance tip would split into many point and pierce all of his enemies. That one's a bit more vague, but it usually takes the form of kill all enemies. Anyway, he's a pretty straightforward one. Since his stuff still basically amounts to spear that stabs things, it can give a false impression that this stuff is more like "normal" anime magic weapons than the trippy stuff it really is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2