• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"loading next article"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Windows 7, Internet Explorer 11 with automatic updates. No plugin's that I know of. Pretty much a plain vanilla setup. And I should say that it is computer only, I don't have any mobile devices.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
These aren't "stealth changes," we make changes to the site every day, and we simply don't have the facility to "announce" each change.

This is what I suspected, which is part of why I started this topic to begin with - not to weigh in on the change, but to figure out whether or not the fact that I noticed the change was due to me updating my browser around the same time. You've answered all of my questions, so all I can really add to the discussion is that I appreciate how open ANN continues to be in response to questions about its behind-the-scenes tech changes. It certainly influences my continued decision to support the site with a subscription.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Windows 7, Internet Explorer 11 with automatic updates. No plugin's that I know of. Pretty much a plain vanilla setup. And I should say that it is computer only, I don't have any mobile devices.

Woo. That's the same setup as my mother's laptop and I'm visiting her tomorrow.

I'll test it out.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
At least it doesn't pre-load all the images;

Dan42 wrote:
[Hmm, I completely forgot to update this in quite a while]

Just added a "infinite scroll" feature to News and Interest articles. Like many other news sites do, when scrolling past the end of the current article, a new one will be displayed.

We've also optimized images to be loaded only when they come into view. This may cause images to appear a fraction of a second after scrolling, but it should be a big help to people with slower connections (like mobile devices).

(changelog)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Auto-load is the way most online publishers have been going for the past year. We don't copy every web-trend, but this is one we liked and we decided not to be the last website to get on this boat.

I'm curious as to why you like it - and what value you think it provides your users? And the timing is interesting, coming as it does hard on the heels of the death of those damnable videos.

Myself, I fear that constant scrolling could lead to people missing the forum/discussion links and not partaking in the conversation. That's the greatest of ANN's strengths IMO.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Tempest wrote:
Auto-load is the way most online publishers have been going for the past year. We don't copy every web-trend, but this is one we liked and we decided not to be the last website to get on this boat.

I'm curious as to why you like it - and what value you think it provides your users? And the timing is interesting, coming as it does hard on the heels of the death of those damnable videos.

I'm wondering the same thing, for me it provides constant frustrations. I'm guessing they want extra traffic? For me it has the opposite effect and makes me want to read articles all the way till the end less. I hate anything else besides news articles here and now with infinite scrolling annoying Interest columns and stuff like that pops up...
I fail to see how this is a user friendly feature or what benefits it brings.
Laethiel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Please add the option to turn this off as soon as possible. It's especially annoying when I scroll down below a news article to see if there are any interesting features/columns/etc., and the page just keeps loading more and more articles, making it impossible to actually look at the features' thumbnails & blurbs. Instead of letting me see if there's anything else I want to look at, the site just constantly shoves random articles in my face that I don't care about (or I would have clicked on them from my news RSS feed in the first place).
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:04 am Reply with quote
For those of you stating that you don't want to see interest articles in the feed (as well as those who would prefer to only see interest), the option to turn it on & off will also include the option to have it include only news, only interest, or both.
CycloneSP

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm really glad I read thru this article first before posting a rant about how much I dislike this feature.

I still dislike it, and all other 'infinite scroll' websites, but I will eagerly await the option to disable it.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I have discovered one irritation with it. I hit refresh to reload the greenlinks on an article and it will refresh instead the next article because I've scrolled down far enough that the next article has become the active one - and (in Chrome at least) there is no back button to get back to the article I wanted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I've yet to see this myself, though I'm not really bummed about that fact. Running Pale Moon 27.6.2.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I have discovered one irritation with it. I hit refresh to reload the greenlinks on an article and it will refresh instead the next article because I've scrolled down far enough that the next article has become the active one - and (in Chrome at least) there is no back button to get back to the article I wanted.

I have a similar problem of when I appear to scroll down and the next article loads, but click onto a new page but hit the "back" button. And instead only get that next article only and not what I had originally clicked on.

But other than that so far, no issues. Seems to load well even though my connection is not the best.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
I have a similar problem of when I appear to scroll down and the next article loads, but click onto a new page but hit the "back" button. And instead only get that next article only and not what I had originally clicked on.

Strange, what browser ?

If Chrome, If I start on the front page, click on article #1, browse down to articles 2, 3, 4 then click back, it takes me to the front page.

Chrome's behavior is to take the user back to the previous page that the user loaded, not the previous page that the browser loaded. Sometimes, when pages auto-redirect, I find this extremely frustrating when I want to go back to the interim page, but in this case it's exactly what I want.
Laethiel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
If Chrome, If I start on the front page, click on article #1, browse down to articles 2, 3, 4 then click back, it takes me to the front page.

What Haterater is describing is this: start on article 1, browse down to articles 2, 3, 4, click on any link, then click the Back button. You'll be on the page for article 4, with article 1 nowhere to be found.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I know exactly what they mean - if you scroll down far enough to reach the discussion link it is also far enough to change the "focus" to the next article so that, if you click back from the discussion thread, you "return" to the next article rather than the one you were originally reading. i.e.:

I click the link to animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-12-13/25-sai-no-joshi-kosei-anime-promo-video-previews-voices/.125219 from the home page
Scroll down then click "discuss this in the forum"
Clicking the back button takes me to animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2017-12-13/celebrate-eromanga-sensei-birthday-with-an-animation-exhibit/.125172
Clicking back again returns to the front page.

This is in Chrome Version 63.0.3239.84 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3