• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Joker Game

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:48 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
ANN has a dub listed for GoShogun, with the likes of Barbara Goodson and Cam Clarke, so I wonder why it is getting a sub-only release.

That's the Macron-1 dub, not straight-up GoShogun. Macron-1 can't be released on home video due to using a lot of popular eighties songs in music video segments.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:44 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Kiddy Girl is something of an oddity to me. I didn't even know it existed until I saw it on Right Stuf. I was also surprised that Funimation didn't dub it despite dubbing Kiddy Grady, but I assumed it must have tanked. Finding out that it isn't streaming on Funimation or CR makes it stranger still, since there are several examples of things that streamed without a physical release, but the opposite is unusual for them.

It was part of a large batch of Kadokawa titles CR acquired (mostly catalog, but a few simulcasts), all of which went away on August 31, 2014. As I recall, most of those catalog titles came on board during 2010. Kiddy Girl was a late one, arriving on December 8, 2010.

It is getting less unusual for Funimation not to stream their sub-only titles. As Animegomaniac noted earlier in this topic, that is also true for Nichijou and Good Luck Ninomiyu-kun, both of which were acquired and released earlier by Funimation.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:32 pm Reply with quote
When Joker Game began depicting the Germans, Japan's ally, as somehow the enemy, my view of this show fell considerably. I know that World War II is a difficult topic for the Japanese, but the producers did choose to make this show. The least they could do is show a little respect for the historical knowledge of their audience.

Unless young Japanese don't know about the Axis?

Senkou no Night Raid faced the same problems. They "solved" them by giving their spies super powers, and relegating the episode about the Mukden Incident to the web since they couldn't show it on a television network.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Yuna: Well, Wikipedia suggests that it was an uneasy truce between the Japanese and Germans.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Kiddy Girl is something of an oddity to me. I didn't even know it existed until I saw it on Right Stuf. I was also surprised that Funimation didn't dub it despite dubbing Kiddy Grady, but I assumed it must have tanked. Finding out that it isn't streaming on Funimation or CR makes it stranger still, since there are several examples of things that streamed without a physical release, but the opposite is unusual for them.

this isnt the first time they did this. for one thing, they licensed hell girl , but didn't gave a dub version to hell girl 2.

also it existed for many years now, though mainly die hard KG fans knew about the sequel back when it was released. kinda surprised that it didn't get a dub even though its prequel did quite well for them in their early days. and there have been a LOT of theories as to why is that on the community forums. from either the japannese holder gonzo and/or its production committee didn't wanted an english dub to other stupid reason like they didn't wanted funi to give the OP an english dub version like with kiddy grade.

we will never officially know why it the series wasn't given one. the same with other series that were more or less clear cut to get one (ie: buddy complex) . i mean that decision is still the biggest head scratcher for the more hardcore english dub watcher and western mecha fans alike. and as proof of my argument, see the comments from the buddy complex trailer on funi's youtube page. its more or less a given.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Its really not that complicated, shows that don't perform well don't get dubbed. streaming performance plays a huge part in their decisions, something they have said many times. Buddy Complex didn't bring in the numbers, simple as that.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
@Johnathan, this week's Shelf Obsessed: Lost all of my VHS anime years ago when I moved; no place to put them in my new (smaller) home, and some of the older tapes had begun to decompose. Also, I never owned any laserdiscs; I couldn't afford the format. But it's great to see so many older shows in their original DVD releases, and that you have a fair number of Blu-rays. I'm still about a decade short of retirement, and even now I'm slowing my buying--but not stopping!
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:
The English dub that I am most familiar with is the Pam Dawber one from the 80's and it's a fantastic dub: The script follows the original story very well and the few made-up lines still hit the mark (i.e. Silence is not considered dead air and the words spoken aren't trying to reinvent what is clearly shown onscreen); The performances are amazing (It's one of my favourite dubs of all time); and the one major piece of music changed is a huge improvement to the mood of the scene (When Odette goes up to the tower). This Discotek release includes the Japanese version, too, so you can compare.

The Discotek release does not distinguish, visually (the music change is intact), between the Japanese and English dubs; The English credits are not included nor is each dub labeled on the menu: Dub # 1, the default dub (??????????) is the junky Frontier one (I'd only caught clips of it before but, watching it this week, Holy Crap is it consistently painful right out of the gate: I couldn't last the whole movie; I had to shut it off) and Dub #2 is the MGM/Pam Dawber one.

I highly recommend that Dub # 2 be the first and only English experience for the film.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2