• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Net Neutrality Widget]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Is there any chance we can put in an option to remove the whole "stop the repeal of Net Neutrality" pop-up every time you go on the home page? Two days in and it's already annoying me to hell and back.

[Topic title changed -t]
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm not getting any pop-ups. Is this something only Americans get (which would make sense) or am I doing something wrong?
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Is this something only Americans get (which would make sense) or am I doing something wrong?

Yeah, it's only displayed to US visitors.
macattack

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:44 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Is there any chance we can put in an option to remove the whole "stop the repeal of Net Neutrality" pop-up every time you go on the home page? Two days in and it's already annoying me to hell and back.

I really wish this had been held off for at least another week.. It makes logging onto the site irritating especially as I check the site twice a day for updates on anime and manga.

I understand wanting to make a statement but there are ways to do this that aren't so intrusive, and to be honest slapping on a button to call Congress just seems sketchy to my POV. It's reminiscent of adware and my instinct is to switch it off.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:

macattack wrote:
It makes logging onto the site irritating especially as I check the site twice a day for updates on anime and manga.

It should display only once a day. Are you blocking cookies or anything ?
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:33 pm Reply with quote
So now that December 14's here, can the pop-up go away now?
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:54 pm Reply with quote
The fight isn't over. It still has to go to Congress. We can still make our voices heard.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
The fight isn't over. It still has to go to Congress. We can still make our voices heard.

So that's a no then.

Le sigh.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Yeah, I guess we could. I'm sure they want to hear from the person who found out about it on an anime forum.

Is there any kind of timeline for when the need to have our voices heard ends? Or is that never, and the widget is just a permanent fixture now? Will we at least get a variety of political views that we have to be implored to advocate for before being allowed to participate in an anime forum?
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:59 am Reply with quote
The fact that people who consume anime on the internet don't understand the serious impact of the repeal of Net Neutrality on them is both sad and unsurprising in current times.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:26 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
The fact that people who consume anime on the internet don't understand the serious impact of the repeal of Net Neutrality on them is both sad and unsurprising in current times.

Look, I understand that the repeal makes certain things possible, but what's the actual likelihood of those possibilities being made certain?

Ignorance of that key question is why I'm slowly starting to hate net neutrality supporters and their end-of-the-world mindsets.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:55 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Look, I understand that the repeal makes certain things possible, but what's the actual likelihood of those possibilities being made certain?

Ignorance of that key question is why I'm slowly starting to hate net neutrality supporters and their end-of-the-world mindsets.

I have to assume based on your answer that you don't understand how large corporations work. The only driving force for the vast majority of them is profits. If you give them an opportunity to increase profits, they will take that opportunity. Net Neutrality took away the option for ISPs to use their control over your access to the internet to squeeze money out of you for things that they decide are "premium content." For example, ANIME STREAMING.

Imagine all ISPs deciding that, henceforth, for reasons that they decide never to explain, Anime Streaming is now not normal content but "premium content," and if you want to continue streaming Anime, you have to pay an extra 20 bucks per month on top of whatever you are paying to Crunchyroll, Netflix, etc... Or. Let's say your local ISP is now owned by Christian Broadcast Corp X, and they think that fanservice in anime is unacceptable. They have declared that henceforth, all access to Crunchyroll is blocked because they have too much fanservice and it is against their Christian beliefs. Or, maybe ISP X has decided that anime is a lesser form of entertainment than Disney content, so henceforth, they have decided that all anime streaming will be throttled (slowed down so you can't even watch it anymore over all the skipping and buffering problems) while Disney content is going to run at full speed - oh yea, and the fact that Disney slipped them a few million dollars to make that happen is of no concern to you, they say!

These are the things that repeal of Net Neutrality exposes you to as an anime fan. Without the law in place, you have nothing other than an empty "promise" from these companies that they won't screw you for profits or for some other reason that they might come up with later, such as anime offending them for some reason. Never accept an unenforceable promise over an enforceable mandate.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote
"X is more important than Y" does not translate into "complaining about X is more important than Y." I get that some people think Net Neutrality is very important. I've heard all these arguments before, just like I've heard the arguments for repealing it. Where does a permanent pop-up widget with literally no information but "tell your Congressfolk to support the thing I want" fit into understanding this? Into changing anything? Into ANN's philosophy towards what its users should expect from the site?
k_dawg_3484

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
"X is more important than Y" does not translate into "complaining about X is more important than Y." I get that some people think Net Neutrality is very important. I've heard all these arguments before, just like I've heard the arguments for repealing it. Where does a permanent pop-up widget with literally no information but "tell your Congressfolk to support the thing I want" fit into understanding this? Into changing anything? Into ANN's philosophy towards what its users should expect from the site?

Exactly. I know what it's about, and I don't give a crap to make my voice heard blah blah blah. Read your own forum rules, and stop soapboxing, anime news site. Be more concerned about your own backyard. Be concerned about the direct effect of making some readers like myself not want to show up, because they're going to blasted with propaganda every time they open the page.

Simple solution: don't be a dick, and let us permanently disable that popup with a checkbox. If you're going to use cookies elsewhere on your site, then use them here as well. Otherwise, you're just the person who won't give it up when someone says "I don't want to talk about this anymore."
k_dawg_3484

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:27 am Reply with quote
I fully expect that we're not going to get the option to disable this. Anybody know of some sort of Greasemonkey script or anything to get rid of it ourselves?

And I'm asking for the sake of trying to SAVE my enjoyment of the site, so consider that before thinking I'm trying to be subversive.

---

Edit: Okay, it's easy. (I need to apply Occam's Razor more often.) Using your ad-blocker of choice, simply right-click on the popup and tell it to block that element.

Not suggesting you block the actual ads on ANN. That's your call. This is more slapping your friend in the face, and saying "We're not going to talk about that anymore, and then we can remain friends. GOT IT?! Good."

Last edited by k_dawg_3484 on Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2