• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest Alternate-World Light Novels Get TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D.E.D.E

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
I dislike this series so much. Literally rips off one of the iconic moments from Tokyo Ghoul without any shame. Taking inspirations is fine but at least be original when you take stuff from other series.

Yes because Tokyo Ghoul created Marie Antoinette syndrome, something that has been a known condition way before the manga's conception. I also forgot the part when Kaneki uses guns and artillery to kill his enemies lol.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I suppose this was only a matter of when and not oh god why?

Blanchimont wrote:
I'd expect anime adaptations of Goblin Slayer and If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord to come at some point. Hopefully. Goblin Slayer definitely, a little less certain for the other...

Uh id definitely like to see the former. The latter ... not so much unless spoiler[they realize how freaking creepy it is to make Leticia fall in (romantic)love with dale and nope the F*** out of it before it goes too far] or at least so I've heard about it.

#810704 wrote:
Pierrot. wrote:
I dislike this series so much. Literally rips off one of the iconic moments from Tokyo Ghoul without any shame. Taking inspirations is fine but at least be original when you take stuff from other series.

Yes because Tokyo Ghoul created Marie Antoinette syndrome, something that has been a known condition way before the manga's conception. I also forgot the part when Kaneki uses guns and artillery to kill his enemies lol.

lol you know I hadn't noticed that but while it is pretty similar kaneki, kaneki simply feels alot more like a unique character complete with his many many (mental)issues whereas the protag of Arifureta just seems super edgy cause that's what popular nowadays. It doesn't help that his current relationship with the loli vampire is setting up all sorts of 'ick' alarms and it certainly looks like he's gonna be *sigh* another harem protagonist because he's in the right place at the right time.

full disclaimer I'm only reading the manga so i dont know how its portrayed in the novels
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I pre-orderd the print run of the Light Novels this looks like it will be something enjoyable if some what slight to watch. I mean Death March To a Parallel World Rhapsody is getting an Anime adaptation. Along with Record of Grancrest War so some titles are being adapted. Studio White Fox working on it gives me some hope.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:42 pm Reply with quote
You know, speaking as someone who follows the novels, Arifureta isn't exactly what I'll call good (you're not wrong if you find it icky). Yet, it is kinda fun. Chuunibyou he may be, but compared to other writers, the author actually has his way with words.

What I'm trying to say is that the series somehow manages to do more than just otaku pandering. The plot is actually decent. There are twists and surprises in it. The characters are... well, yeah, they kinda grow on you, and this is because the author actually manages to give them depth. And the action with the OP protagonist is actually cool.

As an additional note, the LN version of the story is much better than the WN. So use that version for comparison.

No comments from me about the staff. But I'm surprised White Fox is working on this. It has the potential to be a good adaptation, but only if they manage to get the story far enough.
zztop

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
You know, speaking as someone who follows the novels, [i]Arifureta[/i] isn't exactly what I'll call good (you're not wrong if you find it icky). Yet, it is kinda fun. Chuunibyou he may be, but compared to other writers, the author actually has his way with words.

What I'm trying to say is that the series somehow manages to do more than just otaku pandering. The plot is actually decent. There are twists and surprises in it. The characters are... well, yeah, they kinda grow on you, and this is because the author actually manages to give them depth. And the action with the OP protagonist is actually cool.

As an additional note, the LN version of the story is much better than the WN. So use that version for comparison.

No comments from me about the staff. But I'm surprised White Fox is working on this. It has the potential to be a good adaptation, but only if they manage to get the story far enough.

Ironically, Arifureta's author seems to be aware he's writing poor fiction, but does it anyway because it's what he loves doing.

I quote his afterwords here:

Quote:
I’m still very much a beginner when it comes to writing, so forgive me for the half-assed setting, overall lack of plot, and general randomness. I added things as they popped into my mind, and wrote a story that was more for myself than anything.

Even now, I’m still enjoying writing this story more than anything else... which is why I’m truly thankful to my fans at (Shousetsuka ni) Narou for supporting this fanfiction-tier story all the way until it got published officially. It’s not every day that an isekai author gets published out of the sea of isekai stories on there. Once again, I’d like to thank my readers for letting me enjoy myself all the way through.

I’m a huge chuuni lover...enough of one that I wrote an entire novel based on it. Enough of one that I’m going to write an entire second novel about it too. And I’m not the only chuuni out there. I’m sure... every human alive, has a bit of chuuni hidden somewhere inside them. So, to all of you chuuni lovers who have to hide away because of common sense, or your age, or how embarrassing it is, or how society sees you, if this book has helped unleash your burning soul just a little... then I consider my work complete.

There's a certain unpretentious modesty to the admission which is admirable, IMO.
MsVitchDa2nd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:46 pm Reply with quote
YESSSSSSSSSSSS!! FINALYYYYYYYYY

since it's White Fox adapting this then hopefully we get a 1 hour first episode and cutting out OP and ED' a lot more like they did to Re:Zero
Mc-Taz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's pretty good news. I had been hoping that this would be the eventual result ever since checking out the Light Novel on JNovel Club. This was the only title that I was really interested in from their first batch of titles, and similarly the only one I took the time to read through. I do plan to pick up the books when they come out here, both in manga and LN forms. The news that an anime for it will be produced is only icing on the cake. I hope it turns out well.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:18 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
Ironically, Arifureta's author seems to be aware he's writing poor fiction, but does it anyway because it's what he loves doing.

I quote his afterwords here:

Quote:
I’m still very much a beginner when it comes to writing, so forgive me for the half-assed setting, overall lack of plot, and general randomness. I added things as they popped into my mind, and wrote a story that was more for myself than anything.

Even now, I’m still enjoying writing this story more than anything else... which is why I’m truly thankful to my fans at (Shousetsuka ni) Narou for supporting this fanfiction-tier story all the way until it got published officially. It’s not every day that an isekai author gets published out of the sea of isekai stories on there. Once again, I’d like to thank my readers for letting me enjoy myself all the way through.

I’m a huge chuuni lover...enough of one that I wrote an entire novel based on it. Enough of one that I’m going to write an entire second novel about it too. And I’m not the only chuuni out there. I’m sure... every human alive, has a bit of chuuni hidden somewhere inside them. So, to all of you chuuni lovers who have to hide away because of common sense, or your age, or how embarrassing it is, or how society sees you, if this book has helped unleash your burning soul just a little... then I consider my work complete.

There's a certain unpretentious modesty to the admission which is admirable, IMO.

Wow that makes alot of sense and hey if he's doing this beacuse he enjoys it and knows that he has alot to improve on then he should certainly keep writing.
As long as there are people to properly criticise his work and he hears them then he can only get better. I've not much hope for his current series but who knows maybe his next one will resonate with me.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:09 am Reply with quote
A brief timeline. Last season, summer 2017, we had three Narou anime, based on series that started on the following dates:

Isekai Smartphone: 2013/04/08
Knight's & Magic: 2010/10/16
Restaurant to Another World: 2013/01/04

In winter, aside from the continuation of Overlord, we've got:

Death March: 2013/03/03

And now, there's:

Arifureta: 2013/11/07

Re:Zero fits the "four, four and a half years to animation" trend too. I wonder if we're going to see any anime based on older web novels, or if all the remaining hits from 2012 and such have been looked at and passed over. I wouldn't bank on, say, an Only Sense Online anime. Still, we did get the almost-seven-year-old K&M...
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:14 am Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
Another week, another piece of otaku pandering garbage being adapted... Jeezz, do people never get tired of this trash? Rolling Eyes

Refer to the article about the mangaka who annouced his manga was cancelled due to sales. Otaku make those.

So let me see as an executive in Japan, make anime for those otaku, or some pretentious pratt who wont spend a dime on the product unless it gets licensed, and even then the sales effects are minimal. Dude if you dont like Isekai, dont comment on a thread for it.

Also I recall there was an article on how original Bride is, as its basically beauty and the beast. That said its a really good work. Made from the Abyss isn't particularly original either, nothing really is these days. But if you are not going to make comparsion to an isekai work, you might as well say, man this looks like crap compared to Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and Cowboy Bebop, or even go a step further and compare it Spirited Away.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:18 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

Also I recall there was an article on how original Bride is, as its basically beauty and the beast. That said its a really good work. Made from the Abyss isn't particularly original either, nothing really is these days. But if you are not going to make comparsion to an isekai work, you might as well say, man this looks like crap compared to Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and Cowboy Bebop, or even go a step further and compare it Spirited Away.

B-But... spirited away _is_ isekai....
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:06 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
A brief timeline. Last season, summer 2017, we had three Narou anime, based on series that started on the following dates:

Isekai Smartphone: 2013/04/08
Knight's & Magic: 2010/10/16
Restaurant to Another World: 2013/01/04

In winter, aside from the continuation of Overlord, we've got:

Death March: 2013/03/03

And now, there's:

Arifureta: 2013/11/07

Re:Zero fits the "four, four and a half years to animation" trend too. I wonder if we're going to see any anime based on older web novels, or if all the remaining hits from 2012 and such have been looked at and passed over. I wouldn't bank on, say, an Only Sense Online anime. Still, we did get the almost-seven-year-old K&M...
And let's not forget about Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari/The Rising of the Shield Hero (2012/10/29) - another Narou novel anime. So no, they aren't passed over, it's more about the popularity of series after serialization.
valoon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:53 am Reply with quote
geez, so I read the manga and light novel recently and now an anime comes out...
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I read tid bits of the Manga, I haven't read it in a while since I put it on hold. However it could be something good but I could be totally wrong. I mean White Fox can do a visual novel (Steins;Gate) and light novel (Re:Zero) justice, then why not?
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:17 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
And let's not forget about Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari/The Rising of the Shield Hero (2012/10/29) - another Narou novel anime. So no, they aren't passed over, it's more about the popularity of series after serialization.

Ah, good catch, I had forgotten. So why do you think Shield Hero has taken longer than Smartphone to get an anime, seeing as it's the more popular series by website rankings and got a print version first?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3