• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Ho-Ho-Horrible Santas

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:18 am Reply with quote
I went with Tokyo Godfathers, if it had let me choice 2 I would of also with Martian Succesor Nadesico Ep 13.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:58 am Reply with quote
Tokyo Godfathers was the easy choice. Got it on blu-ray now for this year as well.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:38 pm Reply with quote
A poll's list of cute and happy little girls...and then we have Nina...
Anthony Masson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Why not Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz? I mean, it does take place around Christmas, at least that's something. Also, Wing Zero's design in this one is so cool with its majestic wings.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Since the question is "favorite anime Christmas episode"... are movies accepted in the poll, or would those (all user-submitted?) entries be thrown out in the final results?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:39 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Since the question is "favorite anime Christmas episode"... are movies accepted in the poll, or would those (all user-submitted?) entries be thrown out in the final results?

Yes, even though Tuxedo Mask dresses as Santa--and then follows it with a more nationalistic "Happy New Year!" top after it--I did question the inclusion of the Sailor Moon S movie. Maybe we can just reword the question, or accept anime meant as a format, not TV anime.

And even though I voted for the Azumanga Daioh (well, duh... Very Happy ), I guess "Tendo Family Christmas Scramble" had to be the representative Ranma 1/2 episode just on widespread viewing and sentimentality--
Even though I found it just a repetitive marketing of callback cameos, and fell into the tradition of watching the funnier S4 Ep. 75, "Step Outside!" instead. (Where a mother and son in a seaside mansion get a "Christmas panda miracle", and then have to hire Ranma and Akane to help get rid of it..)

As for Santas, thankfully no mention of the buff musclebound Santa from Time Bokan 24, who actually turns out to be named Rudolph, and pulls the sleigh. Shocked
(You'll notice most of the Santas in anime are ho-ho-horrible, as Western influence, and the general frustration with Western Christmas songs have literally convinced the Japanese that Santa only had one reindeer...Uh, hello, "All of the other reindeer?" You know, Dasher and Dancer, and Prancer and Vixen?)
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I know it's a game, not an anime, but Santa Alter from the current Fate/Grand Order North American event has me laughing my ass off. The interludes have been comedy gold so far.

I don't really have any anime I associate too heavily with Christmas - Disappearance of Haruhi probably comes closest, though I admittedly haven't seen Tokyo Godfathers, which I know lot of people think is the ultimate anime Christmas movie. On the other hand, I see Kanon on this list, and that's actually a series I love to rewatch around Easter - for me it dovetails beautifully with the spiritual themes of the Lenten season.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Damn. Gintama had a lot of Santas. Confused
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Typo. The second Gedomaru is spelt "Gendomaru".
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
(checks poll) And wait, no annual Maison Ikkoku ep. 2, either?
Where Godai spends the last of his money on a gift for the new manager, and spends a very long Christmas Eve unable to get a chance to give it to her on a "Christmas date" without interruption?

And where, where, on the poll, may I ask, is the traditional Urusei Yatsura ep. 79, "Mendo Family Summer-Christmas", and the festive holiday climbing of Ryoko's twenty-story spoiler[(rocket)] Christmas tree?
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
I know it's a game, not an anime, but Santa Alter from the current Fate/Grand Order North American event has me laughing my ass off. The interludes have been comedy gold so far.

oh man i was thing that exact same thing.
Santa Alter is hands down the funniest/worst Santa I've seen in quite some time
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, I remember the Santa Battle from Kyōran Kazoku Nikki. Quite a battle too. XD
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Tokyo Godfathers is my favorite Christmas movie (not just anime). I would highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
The bizarre "Mecha Santa" from the Christmas episode of Majokko Tsukune-chan will remain my dearest of Kringle's anime outings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:55 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:

Indeed, while on the same page so far, I got nothing in anime/manga runner ups for Santa stuff. But on a game itself. There's DeathSmiles 2X, which takes place around Christmas time, and the antagonist is one horrible Santa named "Satan Claws", lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2