• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Ho-Ho-Horrible Santas

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:36 pm Reply with quote
It should be a crime that after nearly 10 years we still haven't seen any legal English release, not even a stream, of Kyōran Kazoku Nikki. The show was so good and at least one episode about Hyoka made me cry. Really one of the best unlicensed shows, but with so many shows from 2008 getting picked up lately I'm still holding out hope.

And yeah, Haruhi and Love Hina are my Christmas go-tos. I really should make it a habit to watch Tokyo Godfathers, I own a copy of it.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Souther

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:40 pm Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:

Indeed, while on the same page so far, I got nothing in anime/manga runner ups for Santa stuff. But on a game itself. There's DeathSmiles 2X, which takes place around Christmas time, and the antagonist is one horrible Santa named "Satan Claws", lol.

Ah man, I was just gonna mention that lol. He's designed by the author of Btooom as well. Your comment also reminded me that I've got a whole lot of shmups to play as well.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
It should be a crime that after nearly 10 years we still haven't seen any legal English release, not even a stream, of Kyōran Kazoku Nikki. The show was so good and at least one episode about Hyoka made me cry. Really one of the best unlicensed shows, but with so many shows from 2008 getting picked up lately I'm still holding out hope.

You and me both, Emerje. All I have are the old fansubs.
Poppun-chan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget the "Chest-hair Santa" from Hare-Guu, it's....it's really bizarre

Personally I don't have any particular anime I watch for Christmas, but one of my friends does: Princess Tutu
Mikasa_su_casa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Every year I watch the You're Under Arrest and Big O Christmas episodes, which have some bad Santas in them.
pluvia33

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:01 am Reply with quote
As a diehard fanboy, I was a little sad to not see the Suzumiya Haruhi-chan version of Santa on the list; that was one of the most laugh-out-loud funny moments for me during that anime. Anime hyper

varmintx wrote:
Tokyo Godfathers was the easy choice. Got it on blu-ray now for this year as well.

That was the easy choice for me, too, although a very close second would be the Toradora! Christmas arc. No doubt my favorite holiday segment during a TV series, but I personally can't usually bring myself to JUST watch specific episodes of a series. I would want to watch the entire anime.

Anyway, I see the Australian Blu-ray release of Tokyo Godfathers on Amazon and I'm really tempted to pick it up, but I think I'll hold out hope for a North American release, someday. My DVD is working fine for me for now.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:50 am Reply with quote
I remember that episode of Hayate and how hard I laughed. The joke really was unexpected and deadpan (like most of the humor in that show) and had me in stitches. It seems like there are several more examples that could have made the list, but I'm really glad for this one because it is one of the reasons I fell in love with that show, and it only gets better with age.

Merry Xmas everyone!
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I've gotta admit,this one's a little odd. Most of the time,Santa's a good guy,passing out presents to good kids. Why make him a bad guy? These Santas would give everyone a lump of coal in their stockings,if they're lucky to receive simply that. These Santas are the type the regular Santa would put on his naughty list,mostly because they defame him,but they're also monumental creeps.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure about Nina. I mean she kinda sheds.

And I'll let myself out.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Thank god someone else remembers Vatican examiners murder santa episode. I have that screenshot of him waving through the window saved so I can use it as a virtual christmas card.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2