• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach, Nisekoi, Beelzebub, Toriko, More Creators to Pen 1-Shots for Shonen Jump

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enturax

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:10 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed each canon Arc of Bleach (yes, even the Fullbringer one - because it had new vibes that resembled its street atmosphere from the openings) except for the 2nd half of the last one because it was all just a fight after a fight with more and more ridiculous opponents. I also hated how the "new" Bankais have become a 1-shot thing which were "just about accurate" enough to find a weakness in the quincies' broken powers. Ofc, the last chapters were the worst because of the disappointing fight and the biggest ignorance towards characters I've seen in years.

However, I don't think Kubo is a terrible writer - he was just tired and didn't think about the story much beforehand (same problem Toriyama had, but his editor saved his ass multiple times).
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:04 am Reply with quote
^ Thinking about the story -- how you want it to go, how you want it to end -- is part of what makes you a good writer. Painting yourself into a corner and having to rely on deus ex machina to get you out, for example, is bad storytelling; at least, these days it is.

My impression is that Tite, when he started Bleach, didn't really have any solid plans on what to do after the Soul Society Arc. That's the point where it felt to me that the momentum of the plot stumbled and never really recovered. Each arc, he tried to recover and come up with some sort of compelling overall plot, but it always felt pretty forced and ungainly to me, especially the fullbringer arc. The last arc was such a jumble it's was an effort just to stay with it... I only did because I wanted to see how things ended, not because I was particularly interested in how it reached the end, so how it actually ended felt even more disappointing to me.

As I said, I don't think Tite is a very good storyteller (relatively speaking: he's still a lot better than I am) and could use some help from that standpoint.
Enturax

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it makes me really sad especially when I remind myself of the great OST the Anime had and the overall effort everyone put into the franchise. I guess the problem was that Kubo created Bleach for the sake of visuals rather than the story. Or, he lost interest in Bleach at some point but Shonen Jump forced him to keep going.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:33 pm Reply with quote
joe_g7 wrote:
Looking forward to what Kubo and Komi will make.

Same. I'm hoping they try their hands at different genres.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Kubo is back. I wonder what he will do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2