• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Devilman Grimoire GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:52 am Reply with quote
uguu wrote:

If you've only seen "a little bit" of Devilman before then I don't think you're the best person to be reviewing a manga for long-time Devilman fans.

No problem.

It's an okay review for newcomers though. It gives a good idea of what's inside. I think the review interests newbies enough to start reading it (at least by mentioning that there's blood! Gore! Demons! Magic!), which I believe was the general idea behind this series in the first place.

And TBH, people who are well versed in Go Nagai's manga works (not just its anime derivatives) are actually pretty rare.

I understand how Uguu felt with the Jack hate. I felt a similar disorientation when I first read the original Devilman manga. Coming from both the Devilman and Devilman Lady anime, the manga certainly was NOT what I expected.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:24 am Reply with quote
uguu wrote:
If you've only seen "a little bit" of Devilman before then I don't think you're the best person to be reviewing a manga for long-time Devilman fans.

Oh, I won't dispute that. However, this series is clearly made with accessibility to newcomers in mind. Sure, it may throw a few bones to long-time fans, but you normally don't revamp an origin story just for the established crowd. Hence the evaluation of someone who isn't a long-time established fan is entirely valid, especially for those who are newcomers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:32 pm Reply with quote
uguu wrote:

I'm pretty sure this isn't repackaging anything for a new audience. Devilman is massive in Japan to this day.

I wasn't pulling that out of thin air, an interview in Champion Red in 2012 stated that this was aimed at a younger generation who didn't know Devilman.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:18 pm Reply with quote
That art score is a joke right? it has to be? It's the manga's greatest appeal. The review in general feels iffy though.
uguu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:00 am Reply with quote
Theron also thought the Ryo-Timo Yozakura Quartet anime looked worse than the first one so yeah. Just give it a try yourself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2