• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:27 am Reply with quote
Smh at the people trying to undermine MHA's great success.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:51 am Reply with quote
Even though season 2 of the anime was not a huge hit, I am happy to see that the Attack on Titan manga continues to be among the best selling.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
This doesn't count digital sales does it? Only physical I'm assuming
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:58 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Even though season 2 of the anime was not a huge hit, I am happy to see that the Attack on Titan manga continues to be among the best selling.

I'm actually thinking this is part of the reason why Season 2 sold so poorly. Season 1 of the anime boosted the sales of the manga so much that everyone who wanted to stay caught up with the story, already was by the time S2 came out. Manga that tend to sell in the millions tend to have poor disc sales for their anime adaptations, since the Japanese fans are content with owning the manga and not double dipping on the anime. There are a couple of exceptions of course, but most of the heavy hitters had really poor disc sales. (ie: One Piece, MHA, Fairy Tail, Naruto, AoT s2, Sangatsu no Lion, Food Wars, etc.)
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Speaking of which, what's holding up the third season of Magi?

Well the manga's over, for one.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Kingdom is the only series on this list without a North American publisher and I’m not really sure why. It’d be quite the commitment at this point, but it’d sell.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:19 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Kingdom is the only series on this list without a North American publisher and I’m not really sure why. It’d be quite the commitment at this point, but it’d sell.

Whoever finally publishes it in the U.S. definitely has my money. I want to buy the published volumes in the U.S.
bigivel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:22 am Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

I'm actually thinking this is part of the reason why Season 2 sold so poorly. Season 1 of the anime boosted the sales of the manga so much that everyone who wanted to stay caught up with the story, already was by the time S2 came out. Manga that tend to sell in the millions tend to have poor disc sales for their anime adaptations, since the Japanese fans are content with owning the manga and not double dipping on the anime. There are a couple of exceptions of course, but most of the heavy hitters had really poor disc sales. (ie: One Piece, MHA, Fairy Tail, Naruto, AoT s2, Sangatsu no Lion, Food Wars, etc.)

One Piece Log Collection DVD volumes sell around 10k copies right now and have an average of 40k copies per volume.

So I wouldn't include One Piece in your list.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:27 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:

I think the Kingdom manga kinda got popular too late, so it would be quite risky at this point. Most US manga publishers wouldn't want to commit to a manga series 50 volumes long (when they haven't even started yet). They'd be over 50 volumes behind, and a lot of fans won't buy it cause they're so far behind, it would take over 10 years to catch up. And who knows if the series will still be popular by then, and if fans would be committed for that long. And Kingdom isn't as popular in the west as it is in Japan (it's popular, but it's name isn't ingrained into the fandom like let's say Death Note, Conan or Jojo). I'm sure it's popular enough to get licensed, but it's doubtful whether there are enough diehard fans to support it and commit to it for at least 10 years. It would probably sell in the beginning, but who knows if it can sustain sales over a long period of time. And given the fact they're gonna be so far behind, it'll probably only sell ok at best, and at that point you would need to question; is it really worth the investment of that much time and resources, when it's most likely only going to be an ok seller?

This is also why Hajime no Ippo was never licensed, cause they'd be so far behind. And really, unless you're in the top handful in terms of popularity like Attack on Titan, Naruto, One Piece, Fairy Tail (this one's much more popular in the west), they won't speed up the release. And even if they do speed up releases, best case scenario would be a volume a month, and in that case it would still take at least 6-7 years for Kingdom to catch up.

Outside of very rare exceptions, the timeframe for a manga to licensed would have to be within the first 20-30 volumes. If you're gonna be over 40 volumes in, you're gonna have to be very popular in the west. Of course some series that already ended get picked up, but that's usually for old classics or series less than 50 volumes, and in either case, be very popular in the west.

Also, as much as people write off the anime, the fact that no one cared about it does hurt it's brand no matter how you look at it. So even if it's popularity is high, the anime flopping can and will deter people (particularly the people in power). If they were to do another anime and it does well, there's a good chance it could get licensed, but I doubt they would do another anime since the manga's already selling well and the previous anime flopped.

We would all love for it to get licensed, but there are some series you just gotta accept will probably never will be.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:13 pm Reply with quote
OP domination once again. Congrats to Oda.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2