• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Most Underrated Shonen Jump Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely loved Stealth Symphony! It had such great ideas and an interesting setup (humans and all manner of creatures from mythologies living and working in a modern downtown city), as well as an epic dragon as the protagonist's guardian. The action and drama were both pretty high up there too, so it was and still is a damn shame it got hit with cancellation.

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Neat article! It's almost a curse that the English WSJ now publishes many of the new startups. Seeing manga with promise get axed so early is always frustrating. The cancellation of Red Sprite is what made me cancel my sub, since Nisekoi had also ended and Promised Neverland started to get stale for me.

Though I am hoping that Promised Neverland gets an anime adaptation, since they would most likely greatly improve on the art. Since, while conceptually awesome, the execution of the style was super iffy at best. Maybe I'll pickup WSJ again though since Dr. Stone sounds interesting.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I will NEVER EVER forget about Psyren!

Man, I really wish they give a chance to redo its latter half.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I remember Horikoshi's earlier stuff... Ōmagadoki Dōbutsuen and the one shot it stemmed from (I read the oneshot but never got far in the serialised manga, but my friends loved the series).

Anyway my saddest cancellation memory for Shonen Jump is Kiben Gakuha, Yotsuya Senpai no Kaidan, by the mangaka of Haikyu. It was such a good series, and while I'm happy Furudate has succeeded with Haikyu, I wish they'd go back to horror manga because they were so good at it....

I started reading Psyren a few years ago because there were copies of the manga at the library I volunteered at. It seemed alright, but I guess it must've gone downhill after the like 2 volumes I read.

Snakebit1995 wrote:
heck two characters from the Zoo, Uwabami and Gang Orca are straight up ripped and dropped into MHA

I love how unsubtle it is too. Like, exact same designs and names.

Parsifal24 wrote:
Also Fire Punch deserves more of an audience from it's bleak post-apocalyptic world to the grim anti-heroic protagonist in Agni to the finely crafted fight scenes to sub textual social criticism. To the weird commentary on film inter spliced with scenes of man committing horrors against man.

I love Fire Punch! It's so good, but so completely random at points. I think it's a hard one for normal SJ readers to get into (but it's in SJ+ so I guess it's targeted at a slightly different demographic)
Man, imagine how cool a Fire Punch anime would be...

RakuenOokami wrote:
Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigation (talk about crazy art with a creepy yet warm undertone!).

I'm thankful that manga got so many chapters... I wish it'd get an anime seeing as it has so much content to play with but on the other hand I'm just glad we got so much of it as we did because I feel like maybe it might not have been super popular? No clue...

Last edited by harminia on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Niello

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:14 pm Reply with quote
...And why not replace TPN with Psyren? TPN isn't really underrated but Psyren is definitely underrated in Japan.

The rest of the entries are really, look forward to picking some of them up later.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:26 pm Reply with quote
0Ninjaz0 wrote:
Barrage and Red Sprite are not underrated, they got straight up cancelled, as they weren't very good, and didn't manage to attract an audience.

....That pretty much gives credence to the author's claim. Calling something overrated or underrated is just the same as calling something not very good is generally subjective but not typically incorrect in most instances.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Somehow I read Barrage and forgot all about it. I do remember Stealth Symphony, though! Not the specifics of it, just that I liked it.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I remember Psyren! Err...didn’t read it though. Just constantly saw it at Books-a-Million, thought about reading it, then was surprised an anime never came out.

Anyone else remember Stan Lee’s Ultimo? It was technically Jump Square, but the U.S. Shonen Jump ran it for a while and it was the only manga my school’s Scholastic book fair had in 7th grade other than Maximum Ride.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
In what world is The Promised Neverland underrated? The manga was 10th in the manga taisho awards and it already sells more than several manga in the WSJ. It's already bigger than Black Clover.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I know it wasn't as well-loved as a lot of the ones mentioned (though it ran for a full 10 volumes, whereas ¾ of Jump manga don't even make a year), but I've been wondering what this forum's denizens would think of Welcome To Shika High's Competitive Dance Club. Especially since Welcome to the Ballroom (the more famous dancesport manga) got a lot of flak for -- among other things -- unlikable characters and pointlessly treating the female partners as subordinate, both of which Shika High is arguably better on.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Was Psyren axed? I found it after it was completed and read the whole thing and I remember feeling that the last arc's pacing was kicked into overdrive. I was still fairly new to manga and anime back then.

killjoy_the wrote:
Somehow I read Barrage and forgot all about it.

.....For good reason. While I am a fan of his first series about the zoo and still kinda disappointed it got canceled his second series was very forgettable to me since I read the whole thing and remember NOTHING about it. We got MHA from those ashes tho so all is good.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I was just thinking about this topic the other day. One title not on this list which I think deserves a shout-out is Double Arts by Naoshi Komi (best known as the creator of Nisekoi.) It was one of those stories with such a unique premise that you really wanted to see how far they could take it.

The main characters were a boy and a girl who lived in a land ravaged by a fatal disease. He was naturally immune, and could give immunity to other people so long as he was touching them. She was a genius who could make a cure using his powers as the basis, but to do so they had to undertake a dangerous journey across the land, to a church which was the only place with the resources needed to actually produce the cure. But she was already infected, and without his immunity she'd die almost instantly. Which meant they had to undertake the entire quest without ever letting go of each other's hands.

I was really looking forward to seeing how the manga approached this challenge, but the series was cancelled very quickly.
asukas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Great article! I'd only heard of a few of these before. Thanks for putting some spotlight on them!
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
I was just thinking about this topic the other day. One title not on this list which I think deserves a shout-out is Double Arts by Naoshi Komi (best known as the creator of Nisekoi.)

Did sort of get a shoutout;

Quote:
There are plenty of other series that belong on this list, both new and old. ... Or that, before making Nisekoi, Komi Naoshi had a fantasy manga called Double Arts about a couple who battled using street dancing?
lostbirdinatree

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I've wandered around a few libraries with older titles before and even though I don't subscribe to Jump itself I've subscribed to the Jump email newsletter, so I'm familiar wih a few names in this thread.

Red Sprite is probably the Jump Start that made the biggest impression on me in the free chapters Viz has on their website. Promised Neverland was probably the second-best in that game, but seeing it in the newsletter actually makes me feel sad that quite a few other Jump Starts couldn't be the same. Dr Stone I've heard about through the newsletter, but I've never checked out.

I remember looking through 2 or 3 different libraries multiple times before finishing the 18 volumes of Muhyo and Roji's, so of course I want an anime of that.

Buso Renkin is cool too. I have yet to watch the anime for it, although a service put it up for my streaming this year.

Barrage is a recommendation trump card of mine. Sure, it's quite forgettable, but it has spirit and it's two volumes so you can easily pick both official volumes up and read whenever you need to.

One thing I think is underrated is the Juuni Taisen manga currently being serialised. Everyone remembers the anime and occasionally you hear of the light novel upon which it's based, but almost no one mentions the manga (I think it's just ANN and Viz that talk about it, to my knowledge)...there are a few differences between the manga and the anime's stories (the biggest being a narrator character that isn't Duodecuple), and I've had a blast trying to figure out what they are.

I remember seeing ads for Psyren and Zombiepowder in Viz volumes (notably Detective Conan), but haven't found a copy of them anywhere.

I should check out Stealth Symphony, Oumagadoki Zoo and Kimetsu no Yaiba...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3