• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: A Certain Magical Virtual-On Game's Video Previews Game Modes, Theme Song

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Lesser

Ugh, is that the official romanization of her name now? Sad I preferred "Lessar", or even "Lessa".
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
This looks good.
SpaceTheGamer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:32 am Reply with quote
I still don't understand why are they making people thin that Index is the main heroine in this series. Besides her name being in the title she literally does nothing! Where is my by Super Hamazura!??!?! He's an actual important character, he's one of the 4 MCs of this series and he's not here!!! smh
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
SpaceTheGamer wrote:
I still don't understand why are they making people thin that Index is the main heroine in this series.

I view Index the same way I view Brock and Misty in Pokemon. I bet if you asked someone who liked Pokemon (but not enough to still be following the Pokemon storyline in either the anime or the games) to name a few characters they'd expect to show up in a Pokemon fighting game, Brock and Misty would probably be some of the first few trainers they'd mention after Ash and Team Rocket.

Part of the problem is that the Index / Railgun franchise currently features four constantly interweaving narratives, focusing on Touma's ever-expanding harem of girls and goddesses, Railgun's adventures in super-science, Accelerator's screwed up clone drama, the increasingly-improbable non-stop thrill-ride that is Hamazura's daily life. All of Index's "I don't remember falling in love with you" tragedy stuff from the first book has been completely lost in all this, to the point where one of the franchise's other most popular characters has a "Touma doesn't remember falling in love with me" backstory now. (Part of the reason for this is that the author initially planned on the story - and thus Index's character arc - to only last a single book, and that, after he began writing other books about her, he realized he found her irritating to write about.)

We've forgotten about Index so much that we've forgotten that there was a time when she was the face of the series and all of its marketing. Take a look at the spines of the thirteen light novels that Yen Press has released in English: Index's picture is on the spines of five of them! Sure, the first dozen volumes might not represent a time when the series was "at its best" (personally, I don't think the franchise really came into its own until Volume 15) but it does represent the period of time when Index was the hot new thing that everyone was talking about. Therefore, while she might not be very important in the books anymore, she's still very important to the franchise as an instantly-recognizable character design.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:47 pm Reply with quote
SpaceTheGamer wrote:
I still don't understand why are they making people thin that Index is the main heroine in this series. Besides her name being in the title she literally does nothing! Where is my by Super Hamazura!??!?! He's an actual important character, he's one of the 4 MCs of this series and he's not here!!! smh

Have you read the LN series? Index does A LOT, and probably the most important things.

Lesser looks less flat than I remember
SpaceTheGamer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:11 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
SpaceTheGamer wrote:

Have you read the LN series? Index does A LOT, and probably the most important things.

Lesser looks less flat than I remember

Yeah she sure does a lot: get captured and bites Touma- that's it! I'm on NT18 right now and Index is still just a backgrund character! She barely even appeared in GREMLIN saga and even now she's just a magic trivia box that is still useless considering how many magicians Touma knows!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Now there's a game I haven't heard from in awhile. Good old Sega stuff. But to combine it with the "A Certain..." franchise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1