• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games: You Should Be Playing Better Fanservice Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Then again, if a company is willing to put the effort (and $) into making a good game, why narrow the potential audience by making it a fanservice game?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Spike Terra wrote:
While the versus games in the series do lack variety, I'd say say the 3DS games are incredibly solid especially Deep Crimson with it's yoma boss battles.

I don't know about Crimson but Burst/Skirting Shadows is most decidedly not too varied let alone solid in most aspects.

TheAnimeRevolutionizer wrote:

I didn't turn my nose down on IGN and other video game outlets just so I could stumble upon another snarkbait eyerolling piece of nonsense.

If you turned them down for those reasons you really got your priorities mixed up.

Quote:
(And you can always tell it's a Tamsoft game you're playing even without seeing the logo, as their titles just have an indescribable essence of mediocrity you can feel practically seeping through the controller as you hold it.)

I don't remember having such feelings when playing Shinovi and Estival Versus
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I think Heidi is doing a great job with the column, and the fan-service section was indeed spot on. But as a fan who buys a plethora of fan-service games and adult games for PC, the reason why so many of us settle for pretty mediocre games is because we understand that we are a super tiny niche community. As much as I really don't want to support mediocre gameplay, the problem is if I don't support the companies who are willing to put out fan-service games, they could cease to exist altogether.

It's a dilemma I run into all the time. But there are already so few fan-service games that are released (especially here in the west) that all it would take is a few bad releases for the company to go under. These companies are generally super tiny, and need support from fans badly, as they are putting out games that they know are likely to sell less just because they contain fan service. So I guess it's less of a supporting mediocre games with fan-service, as it is supporting companies who are willing to put out fan-service in the unlikely event they eventually make a great game as well.

It's honestly the same way I feel about fan-service centric anime. I know it's hard for most people to realize who don't follow fan-service shows, but these past 2 years have had the lowest number of anime that featured nudity in a long time. And if people stop supporting those shows, then next year we might not even get any. It's a tough life for a lewd lover, but hey at least the western PC adult gaming market is bigger than ever, so that's a plus.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Plus it has the good DoA girls in it, unlike DoAX.

Speaking the truth.
And for what it's worth, I actually liked Onechanbara Z2 a lot. It reminded me quite a bit of budget PS2 action games I played when I was younger.
IanC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Criticising Senran Kagura? Oh man, I bet theres a shitstorm going down on Twitter.

I found the latest (Peach Beach Splash) to be rather disappointing. Plays very much like an average third person shooter, the fanservice just feels too ott even for the series and the multiplayer doesn't keep you in a party between rounds. Which for a game with a small player base basically kills it, since getting into a game takes forever and after the round you have to play a waiting game yet again!

Łukasz Kawosz wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:
Łukasz Kawosz wrote:
Gaming websites don't tell them if the game is good or bad. They're telling them they should be ashamed of playing such games.

It's been a while since I spent much time on gaming websites; do you have any examples?

It was like few months ago but Destructoid article actually called game fans "pedophiles" in one game review.

It was a guest column, and they very quickly apologised. Of course that wasn't good enough for the "gaming websites are the Devil's work" parts of the internet, but still.
Zimmer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Too bad I can't buy Valkyrie Drive in Australia. Sad
Hobbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:35 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Trust me Heidi, this is not the attitude we want to approach Mega Man with anymore. If we rely too much on the sprite nostalgia brought on by the 8-bit titles, this series is never going to grow and evolve. Not to mention, sticking with the old style over and over limits the creativity of the developers.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Heidi Kemps wrote:
I definitely would have preferred a traditional sprite-based game...

I'm sorry to say this, but it's time to move on from the nostalgia of 8-bit Mega Man. Future Mega Man titles need to use modern-day 3D technology to the fullest if we want the franchise to get better.

If we're talking about a full three-dimensional title then maybe.
But here I fail to see in what way the 3D will make the series better in terms of gameplay or level design since it still basically play in 2D. ^^'

Last edited by Hobbie on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Trust me Heidi, this is not the attitude we want to approach Mega Man with anymore. If we rely too much on the sprite nostalgia brought on by the 8-bit titles, this series is never going to grow and evolve. Not to mention, sticking with the old style over and over limits the creativity of the developers.

This. When Rockman 9 came out it was a cute, nostalgic throwback. However, since then we saw the rise of indie games that abused the retro pixel sprite style and destroyed that charm with cheap cash ins that now cause retro looking games to be met with disdain and skepticism. The new style looks great for a modern entry into the series.

Łukasz Kawosz wrote:
It was like few months ago but Destructoid article actually called game fans "pedophiles" in one game review.

Only a few months? Places like Kotaku have been calling gamers pedophiles and rapists for liking games like Dragons Crown and Fire Emblem for years. The amount of open disdain and condensending for ones consumers is pretty amazing in gaming. My general rule of thumb is, the more outrage and hatred you see for a game on news sites the more indication of how good it is. Xenoblade 2 is their latest target, and that game is a blast. You want a good fanservicy RPG? This is it. My pick for RPG of the year.
ZirconPlumage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:01 pm Reply with quote
In all my years of reading and lurking on ANN, I'd never thought I would find my own personal perspective so misrepresented to the point where I felt the need to chime in with my response/rebuttal.

Quote:
This sort of thing has been done before -- and better -- so why would you play this?

The prior statement in the article kind of answers that question. The main part being the fact that these Tamasoft games are set "schlocky B-movie styled universe." It's the same as wondering why do certain segments of cult film fans watch films with terrible scripts, amateurish acting, and cheap special effects.

In fact, I shouldn't have to answer such a question, it's sad to see that we hold an odd double standard when it comes to an individual's taste in films verse one's taste in games. After all, questioning one's taste in films is often considered to be a taboo in most communities out there. Then there's whole deal with "why don't you check this out instead?" which can be interpreted in a number of ways.

I don't get the motivation here with those recommendations. Did the author of this article assume that cult game fans don't pay attention to highly regarded, mainstream games? That we're incapable of enjoying both categories of cult and mainstream? I noticed that the question was raised if we play such games for solely the fanservice, only to be answered for us by the author as if we needed to be gaslighted. It's not the games themselves that I felt the need to get defensive about here, rather it's questioning of why I enjoy what I enjoy and why some folks feel the need to tell me what's best for me.

Even as I try to express myself here, I'm aware that I got to be cautious with how I paint my own preferences as I can't represent a whole cult following. It seems here that columnist's lack of knowing enough fans of these sorts of games just opened the door some generalizations about the audience, which had me cringing as I read through the particular piece.

As somebody with a few Onechanbara games on my shelf, I'm well aware of the existence of Bayonetta and Dead or Alive, and the critical acclaim those games have received. In fact, games from those series are also present on my shelf along with a variety of other critically well received games. (Comparatively: my blu-ray shelves house not only films often featured on AFI Top X lists, but also quite a lot of B-movie dreck too!) I'm not some lecherous dude in need of titillation, just an exhausted guy who occasionally needs some ridiculous B-game to laugh at after a really rough day at work dealing with D-bag after D-bag. Yes, seeing a poorly rendered, skimpy dressed lady slashing a zombie into a fountain of blood is what helps me recharge every now and then.

I've stated enough at this point, any more might make me seem verbally hostile or something like that. I could go on about this topic, but won't unless anyone wishes to inquire more about my perspective. I'll still continue to read future installments of this column, as I'm not out for this columnist's blood or anything. I hope to see some growth come out from this author in the future. Thanks for reading this.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:47 am Reply with quote
Zircon, you are misunderstanding the article. It's not directed at fans of B-games, it's directed at the kind of people who ARE particularly into the fanservice elements of fanservice games. Maybe you haven't seen these kinds of people much, but there are people who are very much into supporting shallow sexual games based solely on their perceived edginess.

I'm a fan of lots of obscure and janky cult games, some of which do have cheap sexual content, but it's a totally different category than fanservice games.

Anyway, speaking more generally: I'd be more interested in some of these games if they didn't have lots of DLC, the price for all of them adding up to much more than the base game. People might say, "but it's just aesthetic stuff like clothing, not content", to which I say, in a fanservice game, the aesthetic stuff is the content.
ZirconPlumage

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:22 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Zircon, you are misunderstanding the article. It's not directed at fans of B-games, it's directed at the kind of people who ARE particularly into the fanservice elements of fanservice games.

I wish to believe that it's a misunderstanding, but it's tough for me to currently accept when that piece in the article itself is heavily reliant on catch-all phrasing throughout. If the intention is as you suggest, then it is more of a miscommunication issue than a misunderstanding.

Quote:
Maybe you haven't seen these kinds of people much, but there are people who are very much into supporting shallow sexual games based solely on their perceived edginess.

I'm more than very well aware that such people exist. My concern is how easy it is to get lumped together with such demographics. That is why I'm expressing my concern about how the article is written in the manner it is, why I asked for clarity regarding the author's motives, and why I felt the need to express my perspective.[/quote]
otagirl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:09 am Reply with quote
I've come to the conclusion that the opinions of all reviewers on this site are shit. I.e. opposite to mine. But I guess thats useful in its own way.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:45 am Reply with quote
What are some "good" fanservice games for PC? I've only played and enjoyed HuniePop (HunieCam Studio is bad) and Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus. I thought about getting Criminal Girls but it didn't get great reviews and you've gotta mess with a fan patch to get the true version of the game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gometa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:03 am Reply with quote
What is this guy talking about, the Senran Kagura games are great. Thanks about mentioning Valkyrie Drive thought, that game looks good and I never heard about it.
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:04 am Reply with quote
Shar Aznabull wrote:
Quote:
Plus it has the good DoA girls in it, unlike DoAX.

Speaking the truth.
And for what it's worth, I actually liked Onechanbara Z2 a lot. It reminded me quite a bit of budget PS2 action games I played when I was younger.

I haven't played any DoA-related games since DoA4, but as far as I understand, the DoAX stars the girls in the DoA game series, right? Except they do things like play Beach Volleyball and other kinds of games? So... how's the same characters somehow better in the fighting games?

I'm not asking to be snarky or anything. I'm genuinely curious and a bit confused by that statement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3