• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games: You Should Be Playing Better Fanservice Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:11 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
I haven't played any DoA-related games since DoA4, but as far as I understand, the DoAX stars the girls in the DoA game series, right? Except they do things like play Beach Volleyball and other kinds of games? So... how's the same characters somehow better in the fighting games?

DOAX3 only has 9 of the 15 girls from DOA5 - no Tina, Leifang, Lisa, Mila, Rachel, or Christie. There's no DLC to add them, either. The roster was decided by how much money Japanese fans spent on DOA5 character themes in the Playstation Store.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:06 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
I think Heidi is doing a great job with the column, and the fan-service section was indeed spot on. But as a fan who buys a plethora of fan-service games and adult games for PC, the reason why so many of us settle for pretty mediocre games is because we understand that we are a super tiny niche community. As much as I really don't want to support mediocre gameplay, the problem is if I don't support the companies who are willing to put out fan-service games, they could cease to exist altogether.

It's a dilemma I run into all the time. But there are already so few fan-service games that are released (especially here in the west) that all it would take is a few bad releases for the company to go under. These companies are generally super tiny, and need support from fans badly, as they are putting out games that they know are likely to sell less just because they contain fan service. So I guess it's less of a supporting mediocre games with fan-service, as it is supporting companies who are willing to put out fan-service in the unlikely event they eventually make a great game as well.

It's honestly the same way I feel about fan-service centric anime. I know it's hard for most people to realize who don't follow fan-service shows, but these past 2 years have had the lowest number of anime that featured nudity in a long time. And if people stop supporting those shows, then next year we might not even get any. It's a tough life for a lewd lover, but hey at least the western PC adult gaming market is bigger than ever, so that's a plus.

I have to agree with all of this. Bayonets is an interesting example to raise. Sure it is getting a third game, but a big part of why the series went to Nintendo is that it didn't sell well on PS3 and 360. The reviews tended to praise the gameplay, but we're less kind about the fanservice aspect.

I also noticed the decrease in shows featuring nudity. I know anime has its trends, but this one bugs me.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote
ISocial Justice REEING is a trend like hippies. They’ll hopefully be confined to history’s dustbin in due time.

I find trends cyclical.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:54 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

DOAX3 only has 9 of the 15 girls from DOA5 - no Tina, Leifang, Lisa, Mila, Rachel, or Christie. There's no DLC to add them, either. The roster was decided by how much money Japanese fans spent on DOA5 character themes in the Playstation Store.

If they determined it by money fans spent, thenthey used the objectively best girls. Marie, Kasumi, Momiji. Not seeing the problem here. Wink
Woody__alien

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Yoshiro Kimura, I wonder why nobody talks about his other smartphone game, Dandy Dungeon. To me it's much better than Million Onion Hotel and a very funny and clever game overall. And it's mostly free and without ads!

Basically it's about this schlubby salaryman (Yamada) who gets fired from his job as a game developer and takes the opportunity to program the game of his dreams. And this "game within a game" is the game we're going to play, a mix of old school action RPG and a touch screen puzzle game.
What makes it worth it IMO is the humour and the idea of the game interacting with his "reality" and vice versa: Yamada's wacky neighbors barge in and force him to add new features and stuff to his game, the people who harass Yamada are turned into bosses in his own game and so on.
There are also tons of references to the golden years of Japanese gaming and a critique of Japanese corporate attitudes (in Kimura's usual zany way, of course) and much more, i can't recommend it enough.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:07 am Reply with quote
Been thinking about this for a few days, so I could formulate a response that wasn't kneejerk and rude, because I'm a fan of your work.

I think your take on fan service games is mighty presumptuous, and boils down to one thing - subjectivity. Let me start off by saying that I actually dislike most fan service games. Senran Kagura, Valkyrie Drive, those Neptunia games... most of them are incredibly cringy to me, and the bad gameplay doesn't help. Plus, the sexual assault vibes of Senran Kagura really, really, really bother me.

However, I adore the Onechanbara series, and have been having a total blast with SG/ZH. They're incredibly tongue-in-cheek, and the gameplay's pretty solid. Your argument that people need to play "better" games kind of feels hamfisted and poorly thought-out, because the fact of the matter is that whether or not those games are "good" boils down to personal preference. What you think is bad might be somebody else's good. Even if I, for example, vehemently dislike the Senran Kagura games, I'm not going to tell people to get better taste if they want anime tits, which is what your opinion seems to boil down to.

Also, and this is what really bothered me - your casual recommendation of Rance is actually pretty not great. While far, far, far from the worst stuff out there as far as eroge go (stuff by Lilith, Tinker Bell, Liquid come to mind,) Rance doesn't just have sex in it - it has actual eroticized rape. To recommend somebody who likes T&A to play a game like because it has "actual sex" is mighty presumptuous. Plenty of other women that I'm friends with would absolutely balk at Rance, because it's far removed from the fluff and overt silliness of something like a Compile Heart game due to sexual assault being present. While I do like Rance, I also wouldn't just throw out a recommendation for it because somebody likes fan service games.

Anyway. That was the only part of this column that didn't sit right with me. I'm definitely not trying to attack, just pointing out some things that made me uncomfortable. Otherwise, I'm really, really jazzed to see you writing for ANN! You wrote a really cool piece on FFXV for Rolling Stone a while back that I dug, and seeing your writing here regularly is going to be great.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Plus, the sexual assault vibes of Senran Kagura really, really, really bother me.

Shouldn't bother you too much given one half of it occurs off screen/gets mentioned in dialog and the other half is tied to a optional mechanic.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:51 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
Plus, the sexual assault vibes of Senran Kagura really, really, really bother me.

Shouldn't bother you too much given one half of it occurs off screen/gets mentioned in dialog and the other half is tied to a optional mechanic.
The central selling point of the game is beating the clothes off of women. Try again!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
The central selling point of the game is beating the clothes off of women. Try again!

Not sexual assault especially compared to the examples I mentioned which involve actually groping and fondling but okay.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3