• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Is The Purpose Of Recap Episodes?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:36 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
That raises the question of whether anime-original series operate on any longer time scale than adaptations. Shirobako would suggest the answer is no, but that's a fictional work. What about something like Re:Creators, Flip Flappers, or Princess Principal? Do they operate within the same time constraints as adaptations?

According to most interviews I've read, the answer to this is technically yes, but in actuality kind of no. Pre-production, especially in regards to scripting and scenario writing can see the most increase in time, for obvious reasons(they usually have to write from scratch), but actual animation production is roughly the same.

What doesn't cost money to make is more likely to get more time, so your producer(whether from a production house, or an animation studio, or wherever) will generally go out, find a director and a series composer(and an animation studio if they aren't affiliated with one), sit down with them(and whoever else is actively involved in writing) and hash out what they want to do, and once they have a reasonable story outline(this can sometimes take a couple of years), they'll proceed to pitch it to production houses. Once they've got funding, if it's through your typical production committee, the clock has started, so-to-speak, and you have your standard production schedule. In some cases, if you've got a good animation studio that is funding a lot of it, or deeply invested in it creatively, they might start some aspects of production on their own and not be too picky about the timeline. But this is obviously a bigger risk.

According to interviews with Mari Okada, Kobayashi, Otsuka, and their producer, Shouko Tsutumi, pitched Kiznaiver(2016) to her in 2012, just after finishing Black Rock Shooter. From about 2014, they worked on various aspects of the pre-production, including some production stuff, like backgrounds and visual outlines while they worked on other shows more actively. You may notice that Kiznaiver is a drop-dead-gorgeous series, and that definitely played a large part in it.
Ziko577

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:42 pm Reply with quote
VerQuality wrote:
The current yugioh series, VRAINS, has had 3 recaps before it hit its 30th episode. Even looking at the huge variations in animation quality, some severe pacing issues in the first run of episodes, and its interesting to wonder just how much of a disaster the production is behind the scenes. Some fans have compared the initial premise, and the premise of the show as aired, and suggested a heavy refocusing of the series just before it was set to air. Another theory suggests that there are far less studios willing to support the brand, and that the number of studios working on yugioh has shrunk from 7 to 3 between the previous series (Arc-V) and the current one.

Yugioh Everything on Youtube just put out a video about this very issue about a week ago now. I decided to abandon this series because of all these issues and I feel the story is going south now. I hate the protagonist, the heroine is lame, Link Summoning is broken, and the lack of summoning variety hurts the show greatly. I don't want to walk away from a series that defined my childhood, but I think after Arc-V was a disaster, it's time to leave it alone.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
It's the same principle that explains why those that live closer to work/school are those that more often are late: since they think they can easily produce an episode they procrastinate the most and end up being delayed.

Well, South Park's crew has yet to actually miss the deadline. They just get close a lot. (John K. also didn't do it out of procrastination, but as an attempt to tie the executives' hands, though in practice, it meant he was kicked out of his shows and blacklisted.)

yuna49 wrote:
Adapting existing manga probably plays a big role here. The publishers presumably want an adaptation to boost sales of a work they think is on the cusp of wider popularity. Releasing an adaptation two or three years later would hardly have the same effect on manga sales.

Of course. But they still debut about 18 months to 2 years after the manga's already come out. There is also the odd case of stuff like Parasyte and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, but I guess those are exceptional cases.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:25 am Reply with quote
#hiros7039 wrote:
Tom and Jerry was a big offender.

Eh it wasn't that bad though Shutterbug Cat and Smitten Kitten we're among among the weakest. Matinee Mouse straddles this because of it's wonky edited intro.

Ziko577 wrote:

This is why I dropped the anime and focus on the manga now. The anime is a hot mess with the opening running 2 1/2 mins! and even recapping parts of the last episode so that leaves 17 mins. of new stuff and a preview of the next episode. At least with the manga, that bullshit can be avoided.

Well sure minus the occasional short chapter where nothing significant happens.

leafy sea dragon wrote:

I should point out that John Kricfalusi was notorious for submitting in episodes right before the deadline too, though that was due to a combination of his perfectionism (he wanted to make sure everything was just right before he'd allow the public to watch)

Judging by what I read in TV trope:s Old Shame entry he apparently didn't always pull this off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5