• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Alita: Battle Angel Film's 1st Trailer Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Robert Rodriguez wrote:
When it gets to the emotional scenes it's really uncanny and striking.

I can only assume that he is referring to the proverbial valley in this instance...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Javes wrote:

I believe the original Battle Angel/Gunnm manga series was set (post apocalyptic) Missouri of all places, if I remember right... which would help explain the ethnically diverse cast. Either way, people won't complain about whitewashing right now...they are too distracted by the eyes.

So in other words, nobody should really complain about whitewashing because it's not. Good. On another note, I don't really mind the eyes to much. Alita, or Gally for those hardcore fans, it's isn't supposed to look all human. She is a robot of sorts.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quote
dem eyes tho...LEVEL 9 ANIME EYES!

Reaching clannad level
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I am very hyped for this movie. It has Christoph Waltz as Ido !!!!
The action scenes look amazing.
Random Minion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Javes wrote:
I believe the original Battle Angel/Gunnm manga series was set (post apocalyptic) Missouri of all places, if I remember right... which would help explain the ethnically diverse cast. Either way, people won't complain about whitewashing right now...they are too distracted by the eyes.

26th century USA -
Kansas City,Mo = Scrapyard
Colorado Springs,Co = Necropolis
And I believe another setting is in Texas

(The eyes are too Gollum for me Smile )

Forgot about Gollum. I figured Cameron did ok with the Na'vi when he tried the larger eyes, but he wasn't sticking them on a human body like it was Game of Death, so I think he was better able to dodge the Uncanny Valley.

If they played with it and went up like 10% or something instead of a factor of 3-4 I think it would have worked. Hell, they keep calling the main character 'Octopus lips' in the manga for all the duck faces she makes -- that would have been amusing instead. But I think they went too far and to quote a character from The Expanse he "stuck his c*ck in it," i.e., he screwed it up and decided to stay with it instead of fix it.

The action sequences look good (although I worry they're just a little too fast and blurred for the medium), the casting seems really good (kinda hard to whitewash in futuristic St. Louis, and if the lead is Latina and the original character is spoiler[a Martian brain budded from a Sidonian princess's tumor that so far just happens to have a Japanese given name]). A little disappointed they didn't have a younger actor for Ido, as the nebulous nature of his and Gally's relationship in the first few volumes was interesting, but Waltz would be a fine father figure and still handle the role he plays in the Motorball arc. Skrein will probably do great as Zapan, and I'm actually worried Jackie Earl Haley will go balls-to-the wall in Makaku and folks will have problems keeping their stomachs from rebelling.

Not too thrilled about them going with Chiren(note Connelly herself looks great and I have no problems with her as an actor); I think they could have done better staying closer to the manga than the OVAs and gotten a solid storyline so I worry the writing will make this movie a one-off and the OVA story was a better way to tie it all up.

Although, is it bad I want Paul Bettany to play GIB head Biggott now, and Val Kilmer chew the scenery as Nova?

Oh, and minor thing -- The fight that establishes the scrapyard way back when destroys the remains of the Arch in St. Louis, so the Scrapyard's in St. Louis -- the drunk who owns the bar keeps calling the bar "Kansas" every time he rebuilds it, for some reason...

I think some of the Farms were in Texas? A lot of the American plains were turned into desert after the "nuclear" winter that make the setting what it was...

Last edited by Random Minion on Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to guess the movie isn't going to be as grisly as the OVA was as far as violence goes. Not that I care much.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
I'm going to guess the movie isn't going to be as grisly as the OVA was as far as violence goes. Not that I care much.

If they're trying to cash in on the PG-13 superhero movie craze, no.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Not sure what to think yet. I feel Luke this project is way above Robert Rodriguez's level of expertise, but at the same time the atmosphere of this manga is perfectly suited to him. The didn't blow me away, but there's definitely potential.
Justy93

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
The “Moe” eyes, bad. Poor actress, overshadowed by bad CGI. Plus budgeted at $200 million, let’s see if it breaks even in revenue (wishing all the best, but not hopeful)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:07 pm Reply with quote
After watching the trailer multiple times, the eyes have, if not grown on me, at least stopped making me laugh every time I see them. Also, I really like the cast, especially Christoph Waltz (excellent in Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained) and Ed Skrein (who was one of my favorite parts of Deadpool). Who knows, maybe this will be the first good Western adaptation of an anime/manga. Maybe.
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I didn't realize this movie was actually being made. The last time I heard about it, which was probably back when I was still a regular around here, I thought it was doomed to permanent development hell.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:36 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I would rather have an Anime adaptation instead.

This!

I never understood WHY a limited series adaptation of Battle Angel was NEVER done beyond the two OVAs which I thought were at least decent if not excellent adaptations of the early chapters of the Gunnm manga.

I suppose the creator of Gunnm doesn't want anime adaptations of his series? He's supposed to be the one who spiked further adaptations of his work after the two OVAs were done. Which brings up another point -- why HAVEN'T we seen a re-release of the OVAs on Blu ray format yet (unless the films were lost)? I understood from 12-15 years back the whole mess was tied up in the live-action adaptation which was at the time rumored to be Cameron's next movie until he decided to make the movie about the giant Smurfs...

Why Gunnm, which is regarded as a classic, hasn't been adapted for at least a season or two in an animated TV series is a huge mystery to me!

And, yes, I agree with everybody who says the "anime eyes" just don't work in live-action.

I've never felt most comic book/manga character designs transfer particularly well to live-action to be honest. You just can't capture a lot of the bizarre aspects of the character designs without them looking overly stupid or freaky in live-action. It sure hasn't worked well for at least 85% of the superhero outfits -- and they've made a lot of those outfits look spectacularly ugly in live-action with redesigns, too.

I prefer animated adaptations of American comics and manga. Most of the time, the good animation producers/adapters haven't tried "reinvent the wheel" which is the mistake most live-action directors and scripters make.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:43 pm Reply with quote
It turns out that it's not only the eyes that are CGI -- it's her entire body. It's not the real Rosa Salazar playing Alita with CGI'd eyes as her face doesn't even look like that. She was only used for motion capture for a fully CGI Alita:
http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/08/alita-battle-angel-trailer/
Quote:
One thing that’s immediately striking about the trailer is its heady mix of live action with actors who are either partly or fully computer-animated. Alita is played by Rosa Salazar (The Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials) in a motion-capture suit, while other characters around her — such Alita’s mentor and father figure, Daisuke Ido (Christoph Waltz) — are not.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
My main concern is that the story looks rather generic; the eyes I can live with, even.
But the action and visuals look SICK - like when she smashed the robot into the table towards the end, I was MINDBLOWN. Plus, that cast is amazing.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Oh Lord...

This movie could actually be incredible, but those eyes alone will ensure this bombs at the box office.

I'm the target audience, and I'm creeped out!

it's like they imagined if they copied the doe-like eyes from Avatar that somehow we'll relate to the CG girl.... Maybe even imagine they are adapting the anime aesthetic, to which I'd call BS because otherwise everyone in the film would look that way... in fact, that would've been preferable.. the romantic scenes alone are going to be unintentionally comedic...

They'd really have to play up the part where obviously she is a human in an artificial body to try and make this work and acknowledge that she does look strange in proportion to normal humans or compliment her with other cartoony character bodies in the world... but the trailer doesn't sell that fact.

If there are other characters who look similar in cyborg/mutant ways then, okay, this could work... but if she's the only one, then eeeekk.... Confused

Animechic420 wrote:
Spawn29 wrote:
So are people going bitch about whitewashing again like they did with Ghost in the Shell?

Huh. That never even accrued to me. The characters in Alita weren't really Asian, were they??? I remember a seeing a picture of most of the cast and it looked like a mixed bag of different ethnicities.

Isn't Alita ethnically German? And the setting set in America?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5