• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Alita: Battle Angel Film's 1st Trailer Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
青白

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:51 am Reply with quote
I feel the CGI eyes and look of Alita was a very interesting aesthetic choice and I am looking forward to how it effects the viewing experience in the ACTUAL movie. Let the haters keep crying about the eyes being bad choice in the forum, not like we never had anybody complaining about any American adaptations of anime.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
So are people going bitch about whitewashing again like they did with Ghost in the Shell?

People continuously bitch about everything. The intelligent thing to do is ignore them.
Out of sight and out of mind.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Couldn't they have just had Rosa Salazar play Gally without enlarging her eyes? Photo from Deadline.com article.
Ushio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:54 pm Reply with quote
FackuIkari wrote:
I'm more curious about how the hell they got 3 academy award winners and Robert Rodriguez for a manga adaptation,

Robert Rodriguez is who Hollywood go to when it's time for delays to be over and they want shit done. He's one of the few who can get films made ahead of schedule and under budget.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to this. I bet I’ll like it. From one that loved Dragonball Evolution, it doesn’t take much to entertain me. More anime live action adaptations from Hollywood the better in my opinion.

Can’t believe I was in high school when I first heard about this movie potentially becoming a thing. Been a long time coming.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:59 pm Reply with quote
They went overboard in my opinion.

There are likely plenty of ways to get the 'anime look' without the end result being so overly creepy...

Or they can keep the big eyes and render the skin as plasticine 'anime' skin and not photo real skin texture.

The half-steps are what makes it freaky. They should've just rendered an actual anime girl rather than a half photo-real human girl, half anime girl.

Square Enix Visual Works gets the right balance -

Ushio wrote:
FackuIkari wrote:
I'm more curious about how the hell they got 3 academy award winners and Robert Rodriguez for a manga adaptation,

Robert Rodriguez is who Hollywood go to when it's time for delays to be over and they want shit done. He's one of the few who can get films made ahead of schedule and under budget.

That, and Cameron is a big fan of Alita and held the rights to the material for years!

Fun Fact - The entire reason Avatar was made was so that James Cameron could test technology for mo-cap that he could eventually perfect and use when he wanted to do Battle Angel Alita.

Cameron wanted an adult actress to act and emote the role and capture her performance and place it upon a CG body of a young 14 year old girl who actually looks 14. (Or whatever the correct age was for Alita in the manga).

But Avatar made tons of money and well... he saw a chance to invent his own Star Wars, so understandably he took it. Then he passed the project on to Rodriguez.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Ok...the eyes...yes the eyes....now that I got that out of the way.....

I am thoroughly excited for this. Battle Angel Alita was one of my favorites when I got into anime and become a real fan of it. I enjoyed GITS for what it was. A Sci-Fi action movie. This one however is by far the movie that has me the most excited in terms of an anime adaptation. The cast is amazing and those visuals look amazing as well. If the moe eyes turn out to be the only big drawback for the movie then I will gladly embrace them and not even complain.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:30 am Reply with quote
It looks like Jupiter Ascending with creepy eyes. I don't have any confidence in that Rodriguez can pull it off, not his kind of movie.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:35 am Reply with quote
What so we're only allowed to adapt Japanese media that's set in Western countries?

People still complained about 'racewashing' for Ghost in the Shell and Death Note for characters that canonically weren't Asian, and Edge of Tomorrow was "whitewashed" (Keiji and Rita were Japanese and Russian, respectively - both were American in the film), and everyone loved it.

Of course causing a hullaballoo about skin colour, of all arbitrary, inconsequential things, is ridiculous, but the double standard is ridiculous too.

That aside, this kinda looks like it's set up to be another Ghost in the Shell; They think if they throw enough money at the effects budget, the normies will buy into it. Don't think it'll happen with those eyes tbh.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote
Does Cameron also own the rights to the 1993 anime OAV or could a company like Discotek easily pick it up? Whether the Cameron film succeeds or not, I hope it leads to a remaster of the anime for Blu-ray with both American and British English dubs!
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see James Cameron finally got this project Alita Adaptation off the ground. I wonder how it will all turn out.
I never read the manga so I don't know if I should read it or not, if anything changed?
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Those eyes did creep me out at first. However, for what the movie is looking to try and accomplish, I can look past that. I've never been a huge fan of James Cameron, but this movie definitely looks like it's going to be the exception.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:41 am Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
Maybe we can get a anime TV series based on the manga to promote the live action movie. That's what happen with Parasyte and Kaiji which never got anime adaptions until decades later and where mostly made to promote their live action movie counterparts.

Why would Japan make an anime TV series based off the manga to sell the American live action movie adaptation of said manga?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5