• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:23 am Reply with quote

Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card (TV)

Genres: adventure, comedy, magic
Themes: magical girl

Plot Summary: Fourteen-year-old Sakura starts junior high school along her friends, including Syaoran, who had just returned to Tomoeda. After having a dream with a mysterious cloaked figure, all of Sakura's cards turn blank and are rendered powerless, thus she starts her quest to find out what is wrong. In doing so, Sakura and her allies discover and capture new transparent cards using a new key.
----------------------------------

I've seen the OVA before and it was quite satisfying.

I'm surprised this was announced as a 2-cour show recently so really curious to see how they will plan this out. Cardcaptor Sakura was one of my childhood favorites. I've seen the dub and sub several times and it's still a show that I'll never forget.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Man, it's been at least a decade since I watched any CCS, but I fell right back into it. Things did move a bit fast in the first episode (of course, they wanted to get to the new card), but it just felt right. Can't wait for more!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:11 am Reply with quote
The dub of this series was one of the first anime I watched, before I knew what anime was, and I was just a young kid. I think that the expectation was that it geared more towards girls, but I actually really enjoyed it then. Actually had not seen it since the running when I was a child, I had heard that aspects did not really hold up, even if it was the dub then that got me in, and I think recordings of dubs went with an OP that was quite different to the version I had in Ausralia.

Anyway, for a series I have not seen more than half my life ago, I was following this first episode pretty fine. Although, to be honest I don't recall the angel guy, and I knew Syaoran more as Li. And I actually found myself getting into it, I think I might actually enjoy watching this. Also, kind of took notice that Tomoyo has pretty much the same camera, but everyone also has modern day mobile phones, integrated into the story.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:20 pm Reply with quote
That was really good. I was hit with nostalgia and it felt great seeing the characters again. I love the style of the storytelling too with the light humor and character chemistry, especially between Sakura and her friends/family.

This new season definitely assumes you have seen/read the original franchise so I recommend watching those before jumping to this.

The theme songs are nice too. Very good start overall.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TymersRealm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Just got through watching ep 1.
I was rather pleased. Everything felt 'right' is the best way I can describe it.

I do wish to spotlight the EP though. There's nothing wrong with it at all. The fluidity of the animation in sections is great. The humor is wonderful.

Oh I feel this is gonna be a fun ride for sure.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote
My only complaint is that neither the OP or ED song is that memorable or catchy....otherwise this is flawless so far. The visuals are stunning.
Sobe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I only watched the first series dubbed in English and only a few episodes at that when I was a child. It's a bit hard for me to get used to the Japanese voice actors but I like seeing the entire story instead of heavily edited and reorganized dubs.

Side note: I'm rewatching the first series and came across the dubbed version from Kids WB. I just realized that this dubbed version has one track shared with Young Justice (2010). Laughing Using a BGM from 2000, that's something. "Cardcaptors" was ahead of their time, LOL.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 02

Well, now I just want to eat cheesecake. :/ LOL almost bought it today too in fact. This week's card was kinda lame because it didn't do much. Next week's card will be better, obviously. Oh I did like her new outfit.

I really just want a scene where Sakura's like, "By the way, Onii-chan, I've decided to tell you that Kero-chan is actually alive" and Touya saying "Yeah, no shit." xD
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:44 am Reply with quote
The cheesecake scene did have this kind of earnest aspect to it of having fun with the whole thing. That maybe the author thought that a bit about a cheesecake would be fun, and that cheesecakes are just great full stop, and came in well. The episode general worked well that it could focus on things not necessarily magical.

It has been a long time since I watched, and I was thinking maybe Sakura should just tell her brother the truth of Kero. Like what is the worst that could happen, he is already seeing weird things. Aspects alone, he sees his sister as simply dressing up as a magical girl and being filmed by her friend for it, while keeping the plushie mascot around. Although, now I think maybe in modern day Japan it might not even be that weird were cosplay artists like that is probably more of a thing.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:42 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

It has been a long time since I watched, and I was thinking maybe Sakura should just tell her brother the truth of Kero. Like what is the worst that could happen, he is already seeing weird things. Aspects alone, he sees his sister as simply dressing up as a magical girl and being filmed by her friend for it, while keeping the plushie mascot around. Although, now I think maybe in modern day Japan it might not even be that weird were cosplay artists like that is probably more of a thing.

This is something that actually confuses me a little. I've watched both the original anime and read the original manga so many times I've got them all mixed up, but in one version, Sakura knows that Touya knows the truth, so Kero's nervousness about keeping up appearances seems weird. I also noticed this strange disconnect with Yue's comment about Yukito not remembering what goes on when Yue takes over, but as far as I remember, after receiving Touya's power, Yukito does retain his memories of Yue. So I'm not sure if either I'm remembering things wrong or if the anime is trying to conserve the divergences between the original anime and manga (such as Meilin or the location for Sakura and Syaoran's goodbye). And if they do that, I wonder if they'll completely ommit the fact thatspoiler[ Fujitaka is also a vessel of Clow's soul], something that was a key plot point at the end of the original manga but was ommitted in the anime.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Like what is the worst that could happen, he is already seeing weird things. Aspects alone, he sees his sister as simply dressing up as a magical girl and being filmed by her friend for it, while keeping the plushie mascot around.

He also has a very strong sixth sense; he sees the spirit of spoiler[their late mother in the original series too], I feel his reaction to Kero-chan would be along the lines of "Okay, whatever. Glad I'm not going insane." xD
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Neat episode 2

I love how this show still retains the light comedy despite some of the mysterious circumstances going on and feels like the original season. Seeing Sakura return with a colorful outfit for this season also gave me a big smile. Tomoyo's personality also showed a lot this week.

I think pacing is starting to pick up a bit more now with the latest sealed card. Still really curious to see how they will plan out the remaining episodes.

Meiling got mentioned so it makes me wonder if we'll see her this season. That would be quite interesting.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:40 pm Reply with quote
^Yes, I would like to see her again. She was a pain in season 1 but they really developed her.

I bought cheesecake! :'DDDD

I'm sure it won't be as good as Chiharu's but....well........I am lazy. I think I will try the recipe from the anime sometime though....I'll let you know how that turns out. lol
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

He also has a very strong sixth sense; he sees the spirit of spoiler[their late mother in the original series too], I feel his reaction to Kero-chan would be along the lines of "Okay, whatever. Glad I'm not going insane." xD

Touya can no longer see spirits since he gave all of his magic power to Yue. But as I have mentioned before, Touya knows that Sakura is getting involved in supernatural shenanigans. IIRC he tells Yue he doesn't know specifically what she does, but he's perfectly aware that all the strange events that take place in the town are related to Sakura and she knows Yue and Kero protect her.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh I guess I forgot about that. :O

It's been SO many years; I think I may have forgotten a lot of things.

For example, I forgot how much Yamada likes to tell outrageous stories until he did it to Syaoran last episode. xD
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3