• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

Tomoyo just continues to get more innovative with being able to film Sakura's exploits. That ominous bit, that scared Kero, was peculiar. And, shock scene of truth.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Kero's just as bad as the Japanese manga-ka I follow on Twitter with all the pics of food they eat every day Anime hyper

In general, I find that trend pretty stupid. (NOBODY CARES OMG)
Yet it's such a Kero-chan thing to do.

"We'll fix it later!" lmao but will you though?

Syao-chan looks tense....but I don't think Kaito's a bad guy....or maybe I just want to hope he isn't. CLAMP is actually fuzzy about who you should trust and who is evil. They don't make it overly obvious to their audience like many other magical girl series do and I like that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13

Got to love the brother and sister shade hanging, especially Touya seeing Sakura as Godzilla. They go at each other, but you know they would protect the other if someone else did anything.

And Meiling. My memory of the series being what it is, I remember her as being very hostile against Sakura, although she must have changed later on, which I have less memories of.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:16 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

And Meiling. My memory of the series being what it is, I remember her as being very hostile against Sakura, although she must have changed later on, which I have less memories of.

Yes, she was because she was in love with Syaoran but by the end of the series, she evolves into a Shipper on Deck like Tomoyo and tries to fix them up. Anime hyper

Now in Clear Card, she has deepened her bond with Sakura and that was really nice to see. :3
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I loved 18, it was really nice. Getting to see more of Yue and Toya's dynamic was great, and I finally watched all of the new ending. I love Supi-chan's LINE stickers!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 20

So we finally found out who Akiho is, and it looks like that she her mother. If I had to guess, maybe Sakura's powers are starting to expand too much, and subconsciously she been acting on a wish to save her mother, which might risk removing Sakura herself from existence.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 22, Finale

Oh, so it is finished now? Right when things seemed to finally start to move beyond the card of the week formulae, time gets reversed because there are not enough cards, and then we get told that it is the last episode. That is, kind of disappointing, especially if there might be nothing else after this, we spent the entire season building up that there could be a point to these cards, and the mysterious transfer student, we start to see that the cards cam be sport of ominous in how strong Sakura might actually be, that Akiho has some strange connection with Sakura's mother, and we just end. To say nothing of Momo, the rabbit mascot thing that spent the majority of its time being an inanimate toy despite its prevalence in the OP or ED, and it is treated as almost a surprise late into the show that Momo is actually alive. I can't say I am angry with any of that, just disappointed.

For what I could say about the show in general, it meant a bit to me in just what it was as a piece of nostalgia. The English dub that I watched as a child, meant quite a bit in an anime I watched that was not Pokémon, having some clear differences, and that I could enjoy something that had some clear feminine aspects to it. To say something was living off of nostalgia, is the sort of thing that is normally nothing like a compliment, and assuredly it is not going to be anything of value to quite a few people. Nostalgia shows anyway have been making comebacks with the likes of Sailor Moon Crystal, and all sorts of shows that would mean nothing to an English speaking kid of the 90s in Australia, but I would argue that CCS has a place separate of the Pokemons, Sailor Moons, Dragaonballs, Yatterman, etc. That sure there is action in this show, I don't think it quite fits as being called a fighting show like the others.

Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card has included bits like they do cooking, go on a date, generally be friends, have fun an make others welcome. I will actually think that Clear Card was best when it focused on these things a lot of the time, instead of the trying to work in the weekly action sequence that one associates with monster/card of the week that this show otherwise fits into. It is kind of why it was worth looking at the Kero's Corner bits after the ending of each episode, where he would talk about a particular costume or something that showed up, we the audience are expected to be a bit like Tomoyo in wanting to check out Sakura's latest costume. There were a couple notable action scenes though, such as the water episode that was a great callback to the one from the original series, that Sakura even commented on, which seemed to get some animator attention for its worth. And another would be the one in Tomoyo's garden, getting to Sakura's iconic ability to fly, but also that it was a card that did not just need to be beaten into submission, which goes into what I remembered of the cards being more than mindless entities.

Anyway, I think that I will land on a rating of Decent (6/10), my instinct says that it felt worth seeing, but I did find my attention waning at times, that it was an easy watch, but not always a compelling one for everything that was happening. I don't know what I could say that might improve it, perhaps things like more nostalgia and less battles for their own sake, could actually make it less balanced and liked by other audiences. It may be that as a mid to late 20 year old man, that I am not really the target audience, and shouldn't feel too out of place. But I also think that especially the last season of Sailor Moon Crystal, actually did a fairly good job to have me feel invested, although at the least Clear Card did not have the very lopsided characterisation issues that plagued most of Crystal.

I would like to see a continuation if possible, maybe if there is enough attention. Maybe they could even do a work to feel more of a build up of tension, that although they were trying to do, I don't think quite landed with how sweet this show otherwise is. That I know they cannot contact their friend and Sakura's power is at risk of being taken, but it is easy to not worry because everything is gonna happy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3