• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
DARLING in the FRANXX (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Wow, my yuri googles must be fogged up... totally missed that.

Lol, I didn't see it until Vaisaga pointed it out if that makes you feel better?

I might not have seen it if I watched the episode three more times, in fact. Anime hyper
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:30 pm Reply with quote
It's funny because I'm the one always going out of his way to not see things as yuri.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Crazy, I missed the yuri too, maybe I was playing with Excel too much while watching. But looking back, it is subtle, but there, and does seem to be setting up for some of the themes people found a problem, that the premise ignored homosexuality, but we have had some start.

But yeah, it really managed to get cool in the episode, and that this may be more of what we should expect. 02's on person fighting itself was cool, before they started flying.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:26 am Reply with quote
Hoo boy. To the people who hate how overtly sexual this show is, do NOT read the manga. As expected of Yabuki, a true god among men.

There are a few interesting details that the anime hasn't mentioned. Like the backstory where spoiler[humanity's abuse of magma energy is what ruined the planet] and how Zero Two spoiler[causes her stamens to rapidly age, hence the 3 times thing.]
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:20 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
There are a few interesting details that the anime hasn't mentioned. Like the backstory where spoiler[humanity's abuse of magma energy is what ruined the planet] and how Zero Two spoiler[causes her stamens to rapidly age, hence the 3 times thing.]

As for the first spoiler, this whole story harkens back at least to Final Fantasy VII in terms of an evil organization, Shinra, extracting the planet's resources for power and profits. Circular "gardens" where the kids are trained appear in Final Fantasy VIII, though they don't contain whole cities. The gardens can fly there, too. And I thought the second spoiler was mentioned, though somewhat in passing, earlier in the series.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
And I thought the second spoiler was mentioned, though somewhat in passing, earlier in the series.

I thought so too but wasn't sure. Guess I should have double checked.

But in light of the first detail I'm going to say the klaxosaurs are spoiler[the planet's "immune system", attempting to wipe out the "virus" of humanity.]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Leave Japan problems to Japan and American problems to America. The show is probably just gonna go down the route of trying desperately to tell otaku (and general people watching) that relationships don't have to be scary and they can go out and have children. I doubt the show will touch on our American ideas of sexual and emotional diversity (which, while not as big of an issue over there, is still an issue.) but I'll be happy if it does touch on that.

I'm actually pretty suprised there's even a show trying to say 'relationships don't have to be forced or scary' with Hiro and 002's actions, considering what Japan's culture has shoved down it's collective throats for centuries. My general hope is that it continues to explore that idea further, and maybe the other characters start finding what makes them work well together, or if not being able to do that, to find who or what matters to them.
I'm probably giving this far too much credit for an A1 show though.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Well, hello, Red Shirt Squad. And I think Hiro got the metaphorical equivalent of chlamydia.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I thought this was an excellent episode. The way it conveyed the emotions of these characters was really good. I particularly found the scene where Goro couldn't sleep because his friend was suffering right next to him to be really powerful.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:20 pm Reply with quote
What is happening to our boi!?o_o

Loved the symbolism with the spider and moth. Zero Two is seriously a scary girl....scary yet kinda awesome. I don't blame Ichigo for bitch-slapping her though.

I'm starting to wonder if Goro is crushing on Ichigo as well....or he just worries about her as his friend and FRANXX partner. Hard to tell at this point.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I'm starting to wonder if Goro is crushing on Ichigo as well....or he just worries about her as his friend and FRANXX partner. Hard to tell at this point.

He probably has no idea what he's feeling, just like Ichigo. Kinda what happens when you raise kids to be nothing but weapons. They have no context for any of their emotions.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
And I think Hiro got the metaphorical equivalent of chlamydia.

My theory is on a theory that kissing (actual version) has the benefits that both parties exchange parts of their immune system. Most people who pilot with 02 probably have a big toll on their system due to her not being fully human, but maybe Hiro's immune system is really adaptive, and the damage we are seeing is his body adapting to the klaxosaur DNA. They said something about him having a huge amount of yellow blood cells, while most people have a deficiency in it after riding with her, so I am thinking his body is adapting to the process that usually destroys the cells and is producing a lot more. So, I am thinking there might be something that goes the other way, that more humanity might rub off on 02. They are compatible, and it maybe from them having what others lack or something.

I do think the cutest part of the episode was when 02 shook up the seating arrangement, where usually they sit by gender, but then they mix it up, with a bit of sharing. More awareness of the feelings they have, Goro I think having feelings of jealousy over Ichigo's attachment to Hiro.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

Un-effin-believable episode. spoiler[I thought they were going to do the Gurren Lagann unexpected death episode, but holy hanna, Hiro/Hero just came back from the heavens and saved everyone's hide, including 02.] My heart was pounding! The foreboding was palpable. spoiler[I thought for sure Hiro was a goner.]spoiler[ Now they're closer then ever. Now I'm really looking forward to some serious world building. I'm hoping we'll see this series break out of the Klaxosaur attack of the week scenario.] There hasn't been an anime in my life, so far, that has me SO looking forward to the next episode then this one. All time favorite?.....Boy, oh boy, it's getting close....
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:11 pm Reply with quote
So, this episode had Hiro realize he should not just "pilot" with his partner because he enjoys it, but do so really for his partner's sake, being a support for her? I was trying to find the innuendo, because this series lives off of them.

The Klaxosaur was also really cool to watch, how it changed forms and such with lots of small blocks. And carried over to a really cool moment with Hiro and 02.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
That last Klaxosaur really reminded me of the angel, Ramiel, in the first Rebuild of Evangalion film with the way it changed forms.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10