• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
DARLING in the FRANXX (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:41 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
So, this episode had Hiro realize he should not just "pilot" with his partner because he enjoys it, but do so really for his partner's sake, being a support for her? I was trying to find the innuendo, because this series lives off of them.

People go on about how offensive the piloting system is (with the men controlling the women), but they miss what the show's been saying this whole time. That to successfully pilot the Franxx both parties must have a connection of respect and trust. When one half gets carried away with their own self gratification the whole thing falls apart.

So Hiro realising that he's not in it just to fulfil his own sense of purpose but because he genuinely cares about Zero Two results in a much healthier relationship.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
People go on about how offensive the piloting system is (with the men controlling the women), but they miss what the show's been saying this whole time. That to successfully pilot the Franxx both parties must have a connection of respect and trust. When one half gets carried away with their own self gratification the whole thing falls apart.

So Hiro realising that he's not in it just to fulfil his own sense of purpose but because he genuinely cares about Zero Two results in a much healthier relationship.

Indeed. This seems to be how this show is using symbolism to communicate its themes, and I am going to try and continue to pick out the symbolism.

I am somewhat reminded of Rika from Haganai, where she turned the plot of some sort of mecha into sex, that made it sound dirty. But here, it is not just a case of trying to sound dirty.That sort of stuff is actually relevant to being healthy, not just trying to be cheap.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:32 am Reply with quote
So what does it mean that it says one thing and shows the complete opposite?

We must trust and respect each other! Now kneel before the boy and spread 'em!

What does it mean that they talk about trust but have consistently shown most of the boys to act like preening apes spouting about how great they are?

yes, I will admit that it may eventually have an explanation. But I'm tired of waiting.

If it turns out well, I guess I read about it and can catch up at that point. But I refuse to waste my time watching a show weekly that very well might NOT have an explanation.

To this or any of the other myriad of questions they keep piling up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:05 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
We must trust and respect each other! Now kneel before the boy and spread 'em!

Those are hardly mutually exclusive. Or what, are you saying any sexual position that doesn't involve the woman being on top is sexist?

Spastic Minnow wrote:
What does it mean that they talk about trust but have consistently shown most of the boys to act like preening apes spouting about how great they are?

In the two cases that happened, things ended poorly. Especially in the case of the guy who thought he could handle Zero Two.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:58 am Reply with quote
It is a power dynamic. Plain and simple. There is no excusing this away. One is in a position of absolute dominance, one is in a position of absolute submission. That it puts our duos in this dynamic and then tries to assert the submissive's power beggars belief..

I admit that I sort of wished that, after Hiro couldn't remember his first ride, that the secret was that he was the "bottom" in Strelitzia.

But even if that were true- you do not get "trust" and "respect" in putting two people in this position!

And is it any wonder they fail? Is it any wonder that the "top" looks down on the "bottom" and thinks he has all the control? Is it any wonder that when the "bottom" tries to wrest power back that things fall apart?

What they say and what they do is a contradiction. There is no argument here. IF there is an explanation, it's too late in coming for me. I'll check in later.

But I have been seeing a sort of other dymanic too. It almost seems like the set up is one made to "leash" the girl. As they've shown that the girls actually do have a percentage of ability to control the Frankxx that the boys do not even if it hurts and damages them to attempt it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:22 am Reply with quote
Well, here's a discussion I never expected to get into in an anime context, but... I don't think there is anything inherently dominant/submissive about the doggy-style position. As Vaisaga points out, if you take that stance than any position that doesn't involve the female being on top is inherently submissive to the female.

What's more pertinent, imo, would be to examine the representations of female and male characters in the show. Looking through that lens I think it is hard to argue that the females are being portrayed as submissives and the males as dominant. Ichigo is the group's leader. Zero Two is clearly the most powerful entity in the program.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Except, I think removing the power dynamic is where the series has been heading. Regardless, there is set roles that the girl seems to take finer parts like embody the robot, while the guy is more of the pilot. I was trying to think what it meant that out main team all had custom looking mechs, while the experienced team all had the same looking ones. My conclusion was that the experienced team may have stripped the ability of especially the female member to express themselves, all in the goal of supposedly making them feel more even.

When looking at how the main characters instead have mechs that I think nay be tailored to the female partners. I am thinking it is a way that these kids may be being allowed to have the girls lead more than they had before. The exact mechanics of how piloting is set up at the moment being a little less about the dynamic. I was thinking it odd that we had such little look into Strelitzia into now, and that makes me think that it did not want the exact mechanics to be distracting.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I want to be invested in the whole ZeroxHiro thing...but so far, they're not clicking for me. It feels too rushed. If we get a backstory on why she's so taken with him, that could make it work maybe....but he also seems to be really into her without a good reason?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:59 pm Reply with quote
@Chiibi

Hiro needed 002 because she gave him a ride (and eventually wings) that he wasn't going to get otherwise. In the latest episode he realized that she needed him as well. As best I can tell from the first episode 002 made a bee line for "Darling" because he smelled good. She confirmed that by tasting him. Her good taste Wink was confirmed when he pulled through and showed he could handle the stress of working with her. She needs that.

I'm not sure if mutual need is a basis for a long term relationship but we will see what the writers think. So far I don't see any sign of romance between them. This makes sense in world as none of the parasites is supposed to understand sex much less romantic love.

In the real world this makes no sense as sex and romantic love are something teenagers figure out without formal instruction. (reportedly Japanese teenagers have some trouble acting on that knowledge but I have seen no sign they don't understand)
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:04 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
but he also seems to be really into her without a good reason?

Just your typical "guy more interested in the new exotic girl at the expense of the familiar and "boring" sister-zoned childhood friend" development. Nothing new to see here, folks.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, to be fair to Hiro, she is pretty horny.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:32 am Reply with quote
I like how though Hiro clearly wants Zero Two, Matt Shipman (Eng. voice) has dating Brittney "Ichigo" Lauda for over 7 years. Hiro gets Zero Two in the anime and Ichigo in real life. Sly dog!
TymersRealm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7
While I should of expected it, we got ourselves a beach episode.
Given Zero Two's comments in episode 1, there would of been one at some point. All in all, it was a decent ep. Hiro and Zero Two are officially part of Squad 13, we got some world building, and a bit of fan service as well.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Well, that wasn't a particularly exciting episode. Kind of odd that I'm indifferent to the main ship/love triangle. Zorome x Miku and Futoshi x Kokoro are ships I can get behind but Zero Two x Hiro or Ichigo x Hiro invoke very little shipping urges.

Crunchyroll's decision to have the text mirrored just because the sign they were translating was mirrored made little sense to me. Am I supposed to read it or decipher it? Maybe the idea is to mimic the native speakers' experience.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Futoshi x Kokoro

Too bad he's being set up to get NTRed. Maybe they'll kill him off before that, which would also free up Ikuno to get piloted by Ichigo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10