• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
DARLING in the FRANXX (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Too bad fatso is being set up to get NTRed. Maybe they'll kill him off before that, which would also free up Ikuno to get piloted by Ichigo.

I see Ikuno as the pilot in that pairing more than Ichigo.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
which would also free up Ikuno to get piloted by Ichigo.

Something would need to happen to Goro too then, right?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:44 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I see Ikuno as the pilot in that pairing more than Ichigo.

How so? Ikuno's more the shy reserved type while Ichigo's the leader type, so if we're assigning seme and uke roles...

Cam0 wrote:
Something would need to happen to Goro too then, right?

Obviously. If you're going to impact the protagonist with a character death but don't want to lose any of the cute girls you're going to eliminate his closest male friend.
TymersRealm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:59 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:

Crunchyroll's decision to have the text mirrored just because the sign they were translating was mirrored made little sense to me. Am I supposed to read it or decipher it? Maybe the idea is to mimic the native speakers' experience.

I'll agree that was annoying. It took me a couple of passes to actually figure it out. But considering the viewing perspective, if it was in English, we'd be seeing it the same way as well.
Go figure...
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:02 am Reply with quote
I get how people would find episodes like 07 "boring" but I actually love "let's relax and explore what's around us" plots much more than "here's your new monster; please kill it".

But I am fascinated by abandoned places myself. The scene between the cave and wooded area was awesome; the use of light and shadow was fantastic at making it look realistic and mysterious. I felt envious the kids got to go to such a cool place and wished I could be there too.

The starlight was gorgeous too. A really nice IchigoxHiro scene. I feel kind of bad for her...but at least she's decided to stop moping and do her best in this triangle. I'm glad everyone is a lot more buddy-buddy and chipper in general.

Oh the ZoromexHiro kiss scene was hilarious. Laughing
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

That was a dumb episode. Darling in the FranXX gets minus points. To have a boys vs. girls setup we obviously first need a monster that can disintegrate the girls' clothes. Rolling Eyes Surely there could have been a less contrived and absurd way to get the "we are in this together" message across?
TymersRealm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Maybe, but considering how stifled their lives are generally, there wasn't gonna be a real good accidental situation to occur to get them into what we saw other than something in the cockpits. Or did you want to try and arrange a Hiro/Zero Two lake encounter for the other pairs? (Not that it didn't sort of happen anyways...)

Overall I was enjoying episode 8. Granted the reality gut-punch at the end might of been a tic forced, but it was gonna be needed at some point.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:42 am Reply with quote
The clothes destroying bit was a bit odd, that it could be accused as forced. But, depending on how little it kind of lingered on it, when normally shows would focus way too much on that stuff that it would be hella distracting, I am somewhat choosing to believe it as kind of purposefully over the top rather excuse of fanservice. I am still thinking of this show somewhat with Trigger lines, and their biggest series with Kill la Kill did a lot with things like nudity and the like (not just females).

And really, I kind of liked the girl vs boy setting. I don't know if someone would say cliché, but I say it is possibly true to life and a part of puberty. Fits well with the show in how it has set itself up with being a coming of age story so much about sex. The show clearly wanted a reaction too, even get why girls would be annoyed, but it was not like the show was making a message at trying to objectify the girls, just as the boys got annoyed at being accused of doing as such, and that was more of the message. Respect and understanding. I don't like how the one girl seems to be becoming sweet on the guy who is a big douche, though. Sure he has some maturity, but he is also an edge lord that I don't think actually respects people.

I would even say that perhaps the problems with the liquid at the start of the episode were somewhat alleviated with some pretty cool music beforehand. Zorome and Miku are still my favourite pair. I think we have also gotten hints that the group is an experimental one, and perhaps it is in the individual expression of the teens, the other pairs we have seen had all plane black uniform hair, and presumably standard robots.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I thought some good points were addressed in this episode; particularly sexual harassment because of the pilot set-up.

But Zero-Two is a little SHE-DEVIL. When Hiro was freaking out about her being "exposed" I was like "PFFFT SHE DON'T CARE." Anime hyper

Kokoro had some good characterization.

Zero Two was definitely referring to Ikuno liking other girls instead of boys, don't you think? Laughing

DuskyPredator wrote:
Zorome and Miku are still my favourite pair.

They are so similar in personality. Anime hyper Soulmates.

That was a dark ending. I've realized I *really* don't want any of these kids to die....except for Mitsuru maybe.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Goro confessed his feelings to Ichigo. FeelsGoodMan. Particularly after the slightly sad flashback that showed Goro attempt to give Ichigo a hairpin but unfortunately Hiro beat him to it.

Anyway this was a good episode. I thought it was really funny that when Miku was berating Ichigo, Zorome in the background was kinda awkwardly trying to slip away. Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:00 am Reply with quote
Zorome was afraid of Miku when she got angry at Ichigo for always taking Goro for granted. And at the least someone decided to put things out of the open instead of leaving it for ages after figuring out their feelings.

Also, I wonder what could possibly be symbolism of Hiro giving Zero Two a hand mirror as a present, perhaps that she needs to reflect on herself a bit?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:40 am Reply with quote
Agreed, very good episode. I'm glad Goro both realized and confessed his feelings. The symbolic value of his hairpin replacing the one that Hiro had given Ichigo was not lost on me (or anybody else, I'm sure).

I had never noticed it before, but the OP shows that the Mouthy Brat's number is 666... Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

A Zorome episode, which is great, plus it feels like we had some real answers to what the deal is with this world. It would seem, the city they protect is very Brave New World, things like happiness are treated like supplements, and things that actually make them human are treated as unnecessary, relationships are just treated as convenience, and just not get in another's way. It was hinted that although the lady looked fairly weathered, she may have been his mother, at least he felt that. She was kind enough, but the end of it pointed that the kids have outright been referred to as infected, that with how they seem afraid of outside germs, the idea seems to be these kids will never actually become part of their society.

It also seemed to show, that although Zorome and Miku fight with each other, it seems pretty clear that they are kind of perfect for each other. Their fighting kind of what makes them better.

Thinking of the themes of the series, along with what was introduced, I think I might try to piece some things. Sex has been the largest theme, but true nature of the city I think says that it is not for its own sake. Instead it does seem like the general idea of it being a necessity for survival, kids need to be made. And I think rabbit hole that may be of adults getting so caught up in their own things, that to them kids are gross dirty things, that largely dealing with might be a bother. I get it, have to admit at getting older and largely seeing kids as gross and sticky, that need a lot of attention, but surely there are joys there. But, I guess in this supposed utopia where they apparently can administer happiness, kids probably are unpredictable, their effect not easily measured, so the woman who has apparently had carefully mixed parts of what humans supposedly need, has pretty much become fragile and taking a lot of stress from Zorome. I actually kind of felt that even the things that he was forcing her to think about were causing strain on her, like their lives are so measured that such free thinking is not banned, but also something unnecessary.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Daaaaaaamn, this world the adults live in is really f**ed up! It's incredibly tragic. Shocked

Losing communication with your beloved partner, not being able to enjoy even the taste of food, being "fed" the feeling of happiness through a machine....like what the f**k how did things even get this way!?

It was creepy how the woman even looked less human than the others, did you notice that? Her face was flatter....like female Voldemort. (lol) Seriously, what goes on here!?

"Utopia" my ass. That looks like a hellish way of life to me. I feel bad for Zorome; he admired everything about the adults so much for so long, he doesn't even recognize how much better he has it right NOW!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Okay, I will be honest, this episode kind of turned me around with the Mitsuru and Kokoro pairing. It helped in that I think Kokoro actually managed to get to him, breaking through his shell of being a dick and I think have him actually appreciate someone. On the flip side, Futoshi was kind of terrible, his promise making with Kokoro felt clingy and insecure, we were getting how strongly he feels, but he also came across as a little too desperate. The defining elements seemed to be that it felt like it was Futoshi that was deciding how Kokoro should feel, and I would even say how he saw her when he was talking about her needing to be protected to the point he punched Mitsuru, he kind of looked like the one not fully seeing her as a person. The clear indication is that Kokoro is attracted to Mitsuru, and I guess a feeling of them having a choice is more important than comfortable pairing from the start.

A small scene, that feels like it will be important to audiences who are concerned about the forcing heterosexuality as the only true way, there was the pistil to pistil scene. Notable in Ichigo saying that she was sure it was never going to work, with Ikuno clearly frustrated from hearing that because she was taking it seriously. It is clear on the surface that Ichigo's comment was meant to be a voicing of dismissal of homosexuality from someone who does not feel that way, and is only familiar with male and female, but the clear focus on Ikuno's feelings is not an actual dismissal of it in the series, perhaps just that Ikuno is not going to be able to force the returning of feelings, and frustration from such a small group.

And, I totally had that sort of wow moment from a Trigger action scene in this episode, the kind where Trigger puts in the really fluid and kinetic energy, which just makes me smile. Specifically when Zero Two did that big slash across the enemy's back. Oh, and I can't remember if it has been here or something, but I remember hearing a really good idea of what Zero Two's number could be turned into a name. Not sure if a name, but it could be read as Oni, zero being "O", and two in Japanese is "ni", which fits with her horns. There really does seem to be something building with her too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10